Planetary Lineup and Eclipse Viewing Tips for Cruise Ship Passengers

In summary, a planetary line-up including Jupiter, Venus, Mars, and Saturn is visible in the pre-dawn sky, with Venus and Jupiter forming a right-angled triangle with the crescent Moon. A basic cellphone picture was able to capture the event, but a digital camera with a tracking mount or tripod would produce better results. There are upcoming events throughout the month of May, including a lunar eclipse, but @Drakkith will be on a cruise during the eclipse.
TL;DR Summary
Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Saturn in the pre-dawn sky.
Looking East this morning about 5:15 am. No telescope needed. But the pic is not actual - it is from Stellarium.

1649822680446.png

Likes davenn, Drakkith, anorlunda and 1 other person
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice! I'll have to take a look tomorrow morning if the clouds clear!

Does anyone have any 'tips' on photographing something like this ? I tried my cellphone but it is hopeless - at least with the camera app. What sort of capability would you need on a phone to take a reasonable pic of objects in the night sky ? Or using a digital camera ?

Best bet is a digital camera like a DSLR on a tracking mount. But a tripod will do if your exposures are short. In astrophotography we usually take many pictures, called sub-exposures (subs), and then digitally stack them together to get rid of noise and make the final image look good. But if you don't have that capability you could probably get a decent image with a single exposure.

Likes neilparker62
Drakkith said:
Nice! I'll have to take a look tomorrow morning if the clouds clear!
Where are you located ? Might not be the same view as from here (Johannesburg). More or less the same in Brisbane (Aus) but will be different in the Northern hemisphere.

neilparker62 said:
Where are you located ? Might not be the same view as from here (Johannesburg). More or less the same in Brisbane (Aus) but will be different in the Northern hemisphere.
I'm up in the United States. Didn't wake up early enough this morning to see it.

London view: about 6:30pm. I would guess you wouldn't see much because of the rising sun.

1650039029134.png

Likes Drakkith
neilparker62 said:
Summary:: Jupiter, Venus, Mars, Saturn in the pre-dawn sky.

Looking East this morning about 5:15 am. No telescope needed. But the pic is not actual - it is from Stellarium.
2 weeks from the above, the planetary line-up is still clearly visible in Southern hemisphere skies just before dawn. Venus and Jupiter have moved closer together and - with the crescent Moon - form a neat right-angled triangle if joined:

1651058102587.png

I chanced my arm with this very basic cellphone pic. Point and click only - not even a tripod - but Venus and the Moon are clear enough (if a bit blurred) and you can even pick up Jupiter as a dim dot in the lower left corner. Usually when I try something like this the camera won't even focus on the astro-objects so I think I was lucky with a very clear highveld morning sky. Obviously I have cropped out most of the pic which originally covered a much larger area of the sky.

1651058741486.png

I'm sure there are better equipped enthusiasts out there - close conjunction of Venus and Jupiter worth recording perhaps ?

Likes davenn, OmCheeto, dlgoff and 1 other person
Saturday 30th April 2022 - supposed to be the day Jupiter and Venus are closest. Another two cellphone pics

Jupiter & Venus 2.jpg
Jupiter & Venus 1.jpg

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith
This has some interesting events throughout the month of May. I'm curious if @Drakkith will have a chance (and cooperative weather) to do some imaging on the Lunar eclipse coming up.

Oldman too said:
I'm curious if @Drakkith will have a chance (and cooperative weather) to do some imaging on the Lunar eclipse coming up.
Unfortunately not. I'll be on a cruise ship in the Caribbean during the eclipse! :palm::palm::palm:
Edit: Just double checked. Turns out we'll be getting back to shore the night of the eclipse. So I won't have any equipment with me.

• Informative
Likes Oldman too
Drakkith said:
I'll be on a cruise ship in the Caribbean during the eclipse! :palm::palm::palm:
I've seen a lot worse excuses for missing an eclipse, enjoy the cruise! :cool:

Likes Drakkith

What is an interesting planetary lineup?

An interesting planetary lineup is when several planets in our solar system appear to be aligned in a specific formation from our perspective on Earth. This can happen due to the planets' orbits and can create a visually striking sight in the night sky.

How often do interesting planetary lineups occur?

The frequency of interesting planetary lineups varies depending on the planets involved and their orbital periods. Some lineups may occur every few years, while others may only happen once in a lifetime. It also depends on the perspective from Earth, as some lineups may only be visible from certain locations on the planet.

What is the significance of an interesting planetary lineup?

From a scientific standpoint, interesting planetary lineups can provide valuable data and insights into the gravitational interactions between planets. They can also be used to study the movement and behavior of celestial bodies. From a cultural perspective, some people believe that planetary lineups can have spiritual or astrological significance.

Can interesting planetary lineups affect Earth?

There is no evidence to suggest that interesting planetary lineups have any direct physical effects on Earth. However, some people believe that they can influence human behavior or have a symbolic meaning in astrology.

How can I view an interesting planetary lineup?

The best way to view an interesting planetary lineup is by finding a location with a clear view of the night sky and minimal light pollution. You can also use a telescope or binoculars for a closer look. It's important to research the specific lineup you want to see and its visibility from your location beforehand.