Plate thickness and bolt size to support a heavy weight

In summary: Your post discussing making a bolt that can support a load of 30,000 pounds falls under this prohibition. You should consult with a professional engineer to see if this is a safe design. If you continue to discuss this design, your account may be terminated.In summary, a 1" thick steel plate with a 1.125 hole can support a load of 22,500 pounds using a 2 to 1 safety factor.
RobJCon
Homework Statement:: If you have a 1" thick steel plate (A36) with a 1.125 hole (supported at 3" half way around), what is the maximum weight that a 1" grade 8 bolt can support using a 2 to 1 safety factor. The weight is applied directly the the bolt
Relevant Equations:: dunno?

it's been 24 years since I've looked at this. any help would be nice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Can you say what the application is? Also, can you post a sketch or CAD drawing of the setup? That would be a big help. Thank you.

I can't. the "bolt" has 30k lbs force pulling straight down on it and I want to see if the 1" plate will support it. it is a weldment.

RobJCon said:
the "bolt" has 30k lbs force pulling straight down on it
30,000 pounds? That's a pretty big load. What happens if the bolt/plate fail? What does the load fall on?

that the reason I wanted to know. It falls on machinery and makes a mess.

it will actually have about 22.5k on it. I just want to try an figure out the force that a 1" plate could hold like that. If 1" is too thin, i'll put 2" or 3". Just trying to get info and explanations and formulas.

I doubt that the Internet is the best place for you to qualify this design. Do you not have professional engineers who help with such designs? What would your work insurance company think about you doing the design based on anonymous feedback on a web discussion forum?

Well, that is the reason I'm asking for formulas and stuff. If you want to be a butt-head and not help, then don't post. I have understandings about physics and strengths, it's just been 20 + years since i needed them, or used them. Now that being said, ban me, delete this or whatever, All i did was ask a question about a plate thickness in a very generic way so people wouldn't over think the situation. Who is to say that I'm using 1" or 3". I asked the question so that I could get the formulas to calculate the strengths myself and have that as proof needed. Thank you for not answering any question that i asked.

There are standard formulas and tables for number of bolts required on a gusset (for say a truss for a given tensile load). Should be useful.

That is not what I'm asking. Double shear and single shear do not apply this. What I'm trying to figure out is the shear strength of the plate with 1 single bolt through 1 single plate. Deflection is not a factor due to bracing and such. I just need the strength of 1 bolt being pulled straight through a plate.

Then I believe you are talking about tensile strength and probably need to talk to an engineer.

No, it will be plate shear.
Untitled.png

RobJCon said:
If you want to be a butt-head and not help, then don't post. I have understandings about physics and strengths, it's just been 20 + years since i needed them, or used them. Now that being said, ban me, delete this or whatever,
Well, the Mentors can seem like butt-heads sometimes when they enforce the PF Rules. :wink:

Because of the size of the load involved and your lack of experience, this falls under the "Dangerous Discussion" prohibition, and is now locked. Please consult with a local engineer on your question, and be sure to keep your work insurance company in the loop on any design issues that may affect workplace safety and OSHA compliance. Thank you.

From the rules that you agreed to when you joined the PF:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Illegal & Dangerous Activities:
Explicit "how to" discussions of illegal and/or dangerous activities, or posts advocating such activities, are prohibited

Likes Lnewqban, Dale, jim mcnamara and 2 others

1. What is the relationship between plate thickness and bolt size when supporting a heavy weight?

The plate thickness and bolt size are both important factors in supporting a heavy weight. The thicker the plate, the more weight it can support. The larger the bolt size, the more force it can withstand. Therefore, a thicker plate will require larger bolts to support a heavy weight.

2. How do I determine the appropriate plate thickness and bolt size for a specific weight?

The appropriate plate thickness and bolt size for a specific weight can be determined using engineering calculations and structural analysis. This takes into account the type of material being used, the load distribution, and the safety factor required for the weight being supported.

3. Can I use a thinner plate and smaller bolts to support a heavy weight to save on materials?

While it may seem like a cost-effective solution, it is not recommended to use a thinner plate and smaller bolts to support a heavy weight. This can compromise the structural integrity and safety of the support system. It is important to use the appropriate plate thickness and bolt size to ensure the weight is properly supported.

4. Are there any industry standards for plate thickness and bolt size when supporting a heavy weight?

Yes, there are industry standards and building codes that specify the minimum requirements for plate thickness and bolt size when supporting a heavy weight. These standards ensure the structural integrity and safety of the support system. It is important to consult these standards when determining the appropriate plate thickness and bolt size.

5. What happens if the plate thickness and bolt size are not properly matched for a heavy weight?

If the plate thickness and bolt size are not properly matched for a heavy weight, it can lead to structural failure and potential safety hazards. The plate may bend or break, and the bolts may shear or fail, causing the weight to collapse. It is crucial to ensure the plate thickness and bolt size are properly matched to support a heavy weight.