Structural Support Triangles for a rope-climbing robot

In summary, a plate with triangular holes in it will significantly weaken it under load, so it is best to avoid them. If you do need to use them, make sure the edges of the holes are smooth.
joshbr32
sorry if this is in the wrong spot or what not

So my school has this robotics club and we need to build a robot to climb a rope as well as do other things. But focusing on the rope climbing I need to design 2 plates that can support the weight of the robot (~150lbs)
The plates themselves are large vertical triangles 18" long and 24" tall, placed on either side of the robot 3 bars crossing the two, at the top there will be the main shaft that holds the climber (a hook that spins and grips the rope pulling itself up as the rope wraps around it) and two structural support bars that are lower (around the middle).

So getting to the point I have been told that adding triangles inside will make this plate less likely to snap under the weight and I am wondering if I was to have 6 tiers of triangles, with the space between them being 1" thick, what would the dimensions of the smaller triangles? I've tried to find them via trial and error but it isn't working (the triangles need to be exact copies of one another yet the space in between them should be like one line, if you understand what i mean, but when i do it the lines are offset from one another)

BTW the metal I am using is Aluminum 60601, that is 1/8" thick
I am using inventor if you guys want the file I started to make so you can see what i did wrong I can upload it for you (Link to file+ picture explanation)

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Cutting triangular holes will significantly weaken the plate because during flexing under load, energy will be focussed into the sharp corners.

If you need to lighten the plate, consider drilling circular holes, (with a bi-metal hole-saw), rather than triangles.
Make sure the edges of the holes are smooth.

May be better to design an optimised frame from scratch .

Set out the positions , magnitudes and directions of all the forces acting in your system on a diagram and then sketch in the minimum number and size of metal links needed to make the system stable and adequately strong . Merge and simplify this arrangement of links into a shaped plate with cutouts .

1. What are structural support triangles?

Structural support triangles refer to a specific geometric shape formed by three connected points, commonly used in engineering and construction to provide stability and distribute weight evenly.

2. Why are structural support triangles important for a rope-climbing robot?

Rope-climbing robots need to be able to support their own weight as well as any additional weight they may be carrying while climbing. Structural support triangles provide a strong and stable framework for the robot to move and carry objects without toppling over.

3. How are structural support triangles incorporated into the design of a rope-climbing robot?

Structural support triangles can be incorporated into the design of a rope-climbing robot by using triangular-shaped frames or by connecting multiple triangular shapes together to create a larger support structure. These triangles can be made of various materials such as metal or plastic, depending on the weight and strength requirements of the robot.

4. What are the benefits of using structural support triangles for a rope-climbing robot?

Using structural support triangles in the design of a rope-climbing robot allows for a more stable and balanced movement, reducing the risk of the robot falling or losing balance. This also allows for more efficient use of energy and can increase the robot's payload capacity.

5. Are there any limitations to using structural support triangles for a rope-climbing robot?

The main limitation of using structural support triangles for a rope-climbing robot is that it may add additional weight to the overall design. This can affect the robot's agility and speed, so careful consideration must be taken in the design process to balance weight and stability.