Steel Frame Design for Hanging Egg Chair: Calculating Weight Limitations

In summary, steel frame design is crucial when determining weight limitations for hanging egg chairs. The weight limit for a steel frame is dependent on multiple factors, including the type of steel used, the design and construction of the frame, and the distribution of weight on the chair. To calculate the weight limit, engineers must consider the strength and durability of the steel, as well as the chair's overall design and intended use. Properly designed steel frames can support significant weight, making them a popular choice for hanging egg chairs. However, it is important to adhere to weight limitations to ensure the safety and longevity of the chair.
Yuchen0508
How did you find PF?
google search
Hi, my name is Yuchen and I am a hobby-ist DIY engineer. I have designed a steel frame to hang an egg chair from. I am planning to have it welded but wasn't sure if it will be strong enough.

I wanted to use 1/8 inch thick 2 inch by 2 inch square hot rolled carbon steel tube. I am planning to hang the frame from a solid brick wall on a concrete base that is a minimum of 31" high and 12" thick and runs continuous around my house. I want to hang the chair from the tip and it needs to hold twice the weight of an adult of approximately 150LB (max weight 300LB). My idea was to use two large bolts to connect the frame to the wall by going through the wall and using a 2" by 2" steel backer. I have attached a picture for clarity. Is my 2x2 too strong or too weak? Thanks in advance, Yuchen

Attachments

• IMG_8499.jpeg
    IMG_8499.jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 9
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

This forum is only for Introductions, so you will need to post your technical question in the appropriate PF forum instead. Either the DIY forum or the ME forum might be appropriate.

But there are other things to keep in mind when posting questions like this here on PF. By PF rules, we cannot respond to posts with questions about dangerous activities, so your ME background is important for us to know, and it's important for you to say what can happen if the structure fails. If a person could get hurt in a failure and you are relying on us to tell you what is safe, that won't work here.

OTOH, if you have a reasonable ME background and are wanting to check your calculations and nobody can get hurt if the structure fails, that's probably okay.

Oh, did I say Welcome to PF already? :wink:

This thread is temporarily locked -- Please send me a message with your background and more details so we can re-open the thread. Thank you.

(Click on my avatar and "Start a conversation")