Please allow non-members to hide online status

• Thread starter gopher_p
  • Start date
In summary, the Gold perk of being able to not have your activity tracked while you're browsing is creepy, and the recent change to make this a paid perk is shady. Do the right thing and change it back.
gopher_p
That you've put this option behind a paywall is creepy as hell. Do the right thing and change it back.

Edit: I'm speaking primarily to the fact that people viewing my profile can see what pages I've viewed recently. That people can see if I'm on site and, if not, when I was last here is also pretty shady.

Physics news on Phys.org
gopher_p said:
That you've put this option behind a paywall is creepy as hell. Do the right thing and change it back.

Edit: I'm speaking primarily to the fact that people viewing my profile can see what pages I've viewed recently. That people can see if I'm on site and, if not, when I was last here is also pretty shady.
You're on a public forum, so there is nothing "shady" about it. It's always been a Gold perk for as long as I can remember. If you want special privileges, then you have to decide if you want to get Gold membership, there are ways to get Gold privileges other than buying a membership.

gopher_p said:
Do the right thing and change it back.
I believe in the old site "set invisible" was a Gold perk as well.

Just about every forum software has activity records. What exactly are you concerned about?

Greg Bernhardt said:
What exactly are you concerned about?

If you (or anyone here with an account) go to my profile right now it says
gopher_p was last seen:
Viewing thread Please allow non-members to hide online status, 3 minutes ago

I don't like that. That's information that I'd rather not have publicly available. It's creepy.

Last edited by a moderator:
gopher_p said:
[QUOTE="Greg Bernhardt, post: 4922546, member: 1"What exactly are you concerned about?

If you (or anyone here with an account) go to my profile right now it says

I don't like that. That's information that I'd rather not have publicly available. It's creepy.
That's normal for any forum I've been on.

gopher_p said:
What makes you think anyone is visiting your profile page? ;) Member pages aren't indexed by search engines so few are viewing your page. If you wish to set extended privacy settings then upgrade to Gold membership. Support PF :)

I think it's an awful policy, and I'm complaining about it. That is all.

gopher_p said:
Simple fix ... Don't post. ;)

dlgoff said:
Simple fix ... Don't post. ;)
Nah, don't recommend that, but rather just find a free way to get Gold. :)

Likes dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
Nah, don't recommend that, but rather just find a free way to get Gold. :)
Yea. You're right.

Likes RonL and Greg Bernhardt
gopher_p said:
hmmm... I have neither a degree in Accounting, nor in Math. But I took two terms of Economics about 25 years ago. What I learned there, prompted me to purchase a lifetime membership here.

As I said;
OmCheeto said:
...Not sure if I mentioned, that I've a lifetime PF membership. And I'd not be PO'd if they banned me, as I get as much in two weeks here, as in a lifetime, anywhere else.

Which was apparently in response to Jim's comment:

jim hardy said:
I hope I contribute 1% as much as I get.

OM - you'll like retirement. Are you a chemist? Here's hoping you invent the next generation storage battery.

I'm almost done with the "storage battery":rolleyes: maths. It's looking good. (96% efficiency!)
Next stop: The patent office. :)
A $50 investment, is going to make me a trillion* dollars. And I'm positive I could not have done it without PF.

ps. Is my online status visible? I don't want lisab to know that I'm still stalking her. :p

* I may be off by as much as 4 orders of magnitude, but that's still more dough than I've made in this lifetime.

If you log on only when you post, and log off immediately after posting, I don't think the forum software can track you while you're browsing.

@gopher_p

I sympathize with you. Since the recent news, I've also been a bit obsessed with my privacy/security.. I find the "show the current activity" feature to be completely unnecessary. What's the point of it, really? Why would anyone want to have other people be able to check what they're reading in PF?

Having said that, I don't think Greg is going to add the "hide online status" feature to non-gold members, though I think he should.

Ideally, there would be no gold-accounts but Greg has to support PF or even make money himself, nothing wrong about it. This is his forum after-all. He already removed ads for registered users.

So ya, my suggestion is:

- Buy/get a gold account. It's not that expensive and you also have several free ways of getting it.

Last edited:
OmCheeto said:
ps. Is my online status visible? I don't want lisab to know that I'm still stalking her. :p
That's what I see:
omcheeto.png

Likes adjacent and OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
hmmm...

* I may be off by as much as 4 orders of magnitude, but that's still more dough than I've made in this lifetime.

Ah ha, it's you that keeps bumping into me:eek::D

In my opinion, hiding online status should still remain a privilege for gold members. However, it would be nice to get rid of the "Last seen" feature all together.

Thanks for this thread gang, now I'm having tons of fun snooping on all the members and seeing what they're doing. This is even more entertaining than posting :w

Likes RonL
DiracPool said:
Thanks for this thread gang, now I'm having tons of fun snooping on all the members and seeing what they're doing. This is even more entertaining than posting :w
Me too!
Btw, what does it mean when a Mentor is "performing mentor duties"?
Is that a metaphor, for washing their hands?

Likes adjacent
OmCheeto said:
Me too!
Is that a metaphor, for washing their hands?
It probably means their in conference deciding who will cut my thin thread, that I hang on with:eek::D

OmCheeto said:
Me too!

It's not a coincidence that you see that one a lot when you're logged in. Other members may not see it as often.
:)

Likes OmCheeto and RonL
I find the "last seen" and "currently viewing" features to be quite useful. They let you know if you should hang around a bit longer because someone is about to reply to you or if someone you've been talking with has logged off. I don't find it creepy given that this is an entirely public and voluntary forum and it reveals nothing personal about you. If the site insisted on real names or tracked your location and published it then that would be entirely creepy. Letting it be known how you use the site is harmless.

Likes PAllen, RonL, Enigman and 1 other person
Ryan_m_b said:
I find the "last seen" and "currently viewing" features to be quite useful. They let you know if you should hang around a bit longer because someone is about to reply to you or if someone you've been talking with has logged off. I don't find it creepy given that this is an entirely public and voluntary forum and it reveals nothing personal about you. If the site insisted on real names or tracked your location and published it then that would be entirely creepy. Letting it be known how you use the site is harmless.
Ha! I just learned a new way to cover your tracks, regarding who you are stalking: Just keep multiple windows open, and make sure the first one you open, is innocuous. :)
ps. When trying to find a related past post; "I'm afraid the NSA is going to use my browsing history, and come and put me in jail!", or something to that effect, do not search for:

Keywords: cats
Posted by member: Evo,​

as that will send you into a weird, sometimes morbid, rabbit hole of a spiraling history of PF:

She apparently only gets involved in hurricane threads, so she can say; "it's a cat one", "it's a cat two", etc.

Sometimes, it was the thread title, and other times, it was her response:

But mostly, it is morbid:

I never did find the thread I was looking for.

:H

Likes Evo

Related to Please allow non-members to hide online status

1. What is the purpose of allowing non-members to hide their online status?

The purpose of allowing non-members to hide their online status is to provide them with the same privacy and control over their online presence as members have. This feature can be particularly useful for non-members who may not want to be easily accessible or visible to other users.

2. How does this feature affect the overall user experience on the platform?

This feature can positively impact the user experience by giving non-members the ability to control their privacy and feel more comfortable using the platform. It can also help create a more inclusive environment for both members and non-members by giving them equal options for managing their online status.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks to allowing non-members to hide their online status?

One potential drawback is that it may limit the ability for members to connect and interact with non-members if they are unable to see their online status. This could also lead to a decrease in engagement and communication on the platform. However, this can be mitigated by providing other means of communication, such as private messaging, for members to connect with non-members.

4. How will this feature be implemented on the platform?

The implementation of this feature will depend on the specific platform and its capabilities. It could involve adding a privacy setting for non-members to control their online status or incorporating this option into the platform's existing privacy settings. The specific details of implementation will need to be determined by the platform's developers.

5. Will members be able to see when a non-member has hidden their online status?

No, members will not be able to see when a non-member has hidden their online status. This feature is meant to give non-members the same level of privacy and control as members, so their online status will be hidden from all other users on the platform.