Please confirm my Activity Coefficient Calculations

In summary, the individual has made an error in their calculation of I and is using the incorrect equation for logγ. They have now corrected their mistake and their final value for I is 0.0666M, which aligns with the experimental value. The individual initially used c instead of √I, but now has the correct value for I.
Yokoko
Homework Statement
I've had a go at these but am unsure about the result. I thought the values would have to be closer to each other.
Relevant Equations
See picture
IMG_20201025_192654__01.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You have not calculated I correctly. I (not √I) = 1/2∑cz2 for ALL ions present.
Then you haven't used your calculated value for I in the equation for logγ. You used c. Why?
(Do it correctly, and it does come out close to the experimental value.)

IMG_20201026_110941.jpg

Thanks for your answer. Again, I'm not sure if I understood this correctly.

I used c as I thought s = c for simple ions. I now took the root of √I to get I.

I assumed the C for KNO3 = 0.0050 and C for CaSO4 = s = 0.0154

This might be where I am wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20201026_110647.jpg
    IMG_20201026_110647.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 133
No! 1/2Σcz2 is I, not √I, as I said before. (What are the units?) I = 0.0666M.

Oops thanks, I misread your earlier message.
With I = 0.0666 I get an overall value of 0.41 which fits.

Thanks again!

1. What is an activity coefficient and why is it important in scientific calculations?

An activity coefficient is a measure of the deviation of a solution's behavior from ideal behavior. It takes into account the interactions between solute molecules and solvent molecules, and is important in calculations because it affects the accuracy of the results.

2. How do you calculate activity coefficients?

Activity coefficients can be calculated using various methods, such as the Debye-Hückel equation or the Pitzer equations. These equations take into account factors such as temperature, pressure, and ionic strength to determine the activity coefficient of a solution.

3. Can activity coefficients be negative?

Yes, activity coefficients can be negative. This occurs when the interactions between solute and solvent molecules are stronger than expected, resulting in a lower activity than predicted by ideal behavior.

4. How do activity coefficients affect the accuracy of calculations?

Activity coefficients can significantly affect the accuracy of calculations, especially in non-ideal solutions. If activity coefficients are not taken into account, the calculated values may be significantly different from the actual values, leading to inaccurate results.

5. Are there any limitations to using activity coefficients in calculations?

Yes, there are limitations to using activity coefficients in calculations. Activity coefficients are only accurate within a certain range of conditions, such as temperature and concentration. Additionally, they may not accurately predict the behavior of highly concentrated solutions or solutions with complex chemical interactions.