How Fast Must a Golf Ball Travel to Avoid Windmill Blades?

• Thread starter Crazedkid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a windmill with 8 blades rotating at an angular speed of 1.25 radians/second. The opening between successive blades is equal to the width of a blade. The question is how to determine the minimum speed of a golf ball passing by one of the blades without being hit by the next one. The solution involves finding the angular distance of the opening, calculating the time needed for the blade to cover this distance, and assuming the ball is at the beginning of an opening before it passes through. Using the time and known distance, the minimum speed of the ball can be determined.
Crazedkid
ok i need help understanding were to start with this problem. any hint would be appreciated

A windmill has 8 blades abd rotates at an angular speed of 1.25 radians/second. The opening between succesive blades is equal to the width of a blade. A golf ball of diameter 4.50*10 -2m is just passing by one of the rotating blades. What is the minimum speed of the ball so that it will not be hit by the next blade?

I am soooo lost

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe start with how wide the gap between the blades is, expressed in radians...

Yup, first you have to find the angular distance of the opening. Since the question says that the opening is equal to the width of the blade, it implies that the [tex]\Theta=\frac{2\pi}{16}[/tex]. With the [tex]\Theta[/tex] and the angular speed, you can find out the time needed for the blade to cover this distance. For the golf ball to travel at minimum speed through the opening, you have to assume that the ball is right at the beginning of an opening before it passes through. Then it's easy to see that for the ball to pass through the opening, the distance that it needs to travel should be equal to at least its diameter. With the time you found and the known distance, you will find the answer.

thankyou very much for your help

1. What is an angular velocity?

An angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. It is typically represented in units of radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How do I calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angle (in radians or degrees) by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is: ω = Δθ/Δt.

3. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are both measures of how fast an object is moving, but angular velocity specifically refers to the rate of rotation around an axis, while linear velocity refers to the rate of change in position in a straight line.

4. How can I use angular velocity in my research or experiments?

Angular velocity is commonly used in physics and engineering to study the motion of rotating objects, such as wheels, gears, and planetary systems. It can also be used to analyze the stability and dynamics of systems in motion.

5. What are some common applications of angular velocity?

Angular velocity has many practical applications, such as in robotics, navigation systems, and video game design. It is also important in fields such as astronomy, where it is used to study the rotation of planets and stars.