What Is the Distance of Closest Approach in a Particle Collision?

• Thread starter Tido611
  • Start date
In summary, to find the distance of closest approach between a proton and an alpha particle, each with an initial speed of 0.141c, use conservation of energy and momentum. The energy of the system initially is equal to the sum of the kinetic energies of the two particles, and at the point of closest approach, their speeds should be zero. From there, use the equation Enet1 = Enet2 to solve for the distance between their centers, taking into account the electrostatic potential energy between them. It may be helpful to set up the problem in a frame where the center of mass is stationary.
Tido611
A proton and an alpha particle (q = +2.00e, m = 4.00u ) are fired directly toward each other from far away, each with an initial speed of 0.141c. What is their distance of closest approach, as measured between their centers? (Hint: There are two conserved quantities. Make use of both.)

I would figure that you could use conservation of energy in the sense that the energy of the system initially is the kinetic energies of the two particles combined (Enet1 = Kp + Ka). At the point of closest approach, their speeds should be zero, and hence Enet2 = Uelec = Kq1q2/r. From here it should be straightforward:

Enet1 = Enet2
Kp + Ka = Kq1q2/r

Then solve for "r".

However, this is incorrect. Perhaps my assumption that the alpha particle (4 times the mass, 2 times the charge) stops completely is wrong. At this point, I really have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might work better if you set it up in a frame where the center of mass is stationary.

Then use the conservation of energy and momentum.

I would first like to commend you for taking the time to think critically about this problem and for seeking help in finding a solution. This is a great approach to problem-solving and shows your dedication to understanding the concepts at hand.

In regards to your approach, you are correct in using conservation of energy in this scenario. However, the mistake lies in assuming that the alpha particle will stop completely at the point of closest approach. In reality, both the proton and alpha particle will experience a change in direction and continue moving after the closest approach.

To solve this problem, we can use the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy equations. The conservation of momentum equation states that the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. In this case, the initial momentum is zero since both particles are initially at rest. The final momentum can be calculated using the masses and velocities of the particles after the closest approach.

The conservation of energy equation can be used to find the distance of closest approach. As you mentioned, the initial energy of the system is the sum of the kinetic energies of the particles. At the point of closest approach, all of this energy is converted to potential energy due to the electrostatic force between the particles. Therefore, we can equate the initial kinetic energy to the final potential energy and solve for the distance of closest approach.

I encourage you to try solving the problem using these equations and see if you can arrive at the correct answer. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to seek help from a teacher or a fellow scientist. Remember, collaboration and critical thinking are key components of the scientific process. Good luck!

1. What does "Please help a simple problem giving big problems" mean?

This phrase is typically used when someone is experiencing difficulty with a seemingly easy task or issue, and it is causing them significant frustration or stress.

2. How can I overcome a simple problem that is causing me big problems?

The best way to approach this is by breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable steps. Identify the root cause of the issue and then brainstorm potential solutions. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from others or do some research to find alternative solutions.

3. Why do simple problems sometimes turn into bigger problems?

There can be a variety of reasons for this. It could be due to lack of knowledge or resources, unexpected challenges, or poor decision-making. It is important to address the problem as soon as possible before it escalates.

4. How can I avoid simple problems turning into big problems in the future?

To prevent this from happening, it is important to be proactive and address issues as they arise. Regularly review and assess your processes and systems to identify any potential areas for improvement. Additionally, having a contingency plan in place can help mitigate the impact of unexpected problems.

5. How can I stay calm and focused when dealing with a simple problem that is causing big problems?

It can be challenging to remain calm and focused when faced with a frustrating situation. It may help to take a step back and assess the situation objectively. Deep breathing, positive self-talk, and seeking support from others can also help in managing stress and maintaining focus.