Please help me with window work.

In summary: I found some plastic sheets that adhere to the glass that look very nice, kind of a crystalized glazing, that let's light in but people can't see in. The plastic can be peeled off at anytime without any mess.I visited my sister-in-law in Texas a few years ago. We were in her room, which had a large window facing the front of the house, and the curtains were wide open. She started taking her clothes off to change into a bathing suit and I gasped - "Lisa, you're right in front of the window!" (her name's Lisa, too - we're everywhere!). She calmly explained that they have those coatings on the windows that
OAQfirst
I live in a studio apartment over a busy city street. About 99% of people who walk by stare into my apartment and focus on me. I've been pretty good at ignoring this, but after a year, it's taking a toll. About an hour ago, some guy was standing out there with his wife/gf, and pointed at me over and over. I've gone outside on occasion- there's nothing unusual here. Just very large windows that would naturally invite curious eyes. The way the apartment is set up doesn't let me escape their curiosity. But I loathe closing the blinds all day because when I get home from work, I need light. I don't get that at work. And I need to spend most time inside studying for classes.

Does anyone know of some kind of covering I could put on the window so I can see out (reasonably well) while eliminating the visibility on the outside? My Google search strategy isn't helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP: I can't be helpful at all, but my office window has this sort of one-way reflective mirror sticky plastic stuff, so something definitely does exist!

Last edited by a moderator:
cristo said:
Huh??

To the OP: I can't be helpful at all, but my office window has this sort of one-way reflective mirror sticky plastic stuff, so something definitely does exist!

Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. Any idea who to contact?

And I'm a guy, so it's nothing like that. I think it's just how the area is arranged. Businesses down below and just the whole scene feels like it should pull eyes upward. I dunno.

why do you want to be able to stare at the people outside but not let them stare at you? That's not fair. thin curtains will let the light in and they won't see in.

So you're living in a fishbowl, OAQ? Cristo has a great idea - Google "reflective window coatings" and you'll get a bunch of leads.

But if your landlord won't let you put that stuff on the windows, try some gauze or lace curtains. Something like this:

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/403/gauzecurtainsmw9.jpg

go to auto zone and get a few rolls of window tint

In Arizona I see a lot of screens covering windows to keep the heat out. you can see out them but you can't see in.

Google something like "one way mirror window film."

At a hobby store I found some plastic sheets that adhere to the glass that look very nice, kind of a crystalized glazing, that let's light in but people can't see in. The plastic can be peeled off at anytime without any mess.

tribdog said:
In Arizona I see a lot of screens covering windows to keep the heat out. you can see out them but you can't see in.

I visited my sister-in-law in Texas a few years ago. We were in her room, which had a large window facing the front of the house, and the curtains were wide open. She started taking her clothes off to change into a bathing suit and I gasped - "Lisa, you're right in front of the window!" (her name's Lisa, too - we're everywhere!). She calmly explained that they have those coatings on the windows that you're talking about, tribdog.

I couldn't tell there was anything on the glass at all!

spray a salt water solution on the window and let it crystalize.

cristo said:
Google something like "one way mirror window film."

That's it! Thanks for your help.

@tribdog, I just want some light and a sky. I've got the curtains, but they don't work. I can still see inside with no trouble, and so do they. But the mirror window film looks like it will do.

EDIT: Actually, the line of automotive window films looks more appropriate. Anyway...

Last edited:
lisab said:
I visited my sister-in-law in Texas a few years ago. We were in her room, which had a large window facing the front of the house, and the curtains were wide open. She started taking her clothes off to change into a bathing suit and I gasped - "Lisa, you're right in front of the window!" (her name's Lisa, too - we're everywhere!). She calmly explained that they have those coatings on the windows that you're talking about, tribdog.

I couldn't tell there was anything on the glass at all!

do you and lisa do a lot of taking off of clothes around each other? I'd love to come see if your windows are see through while you take off your clothes.

tribdog said:
do you and lisa do a lot of taking off of clothes around each other? I'd love to come see if your windows are see through while you take off your clothes.

Ah trib, dream on. My sister-in-law...now, I love her to death, but if seeing her naked is the highlight of your week, you really need a life :wink: .

At family reunions, we're about 50 people squished into one or two houses - not a lot of privacy. Besides, we're all family.

If you can't find the film, or it doesn't do what you want, a simple set of miniblinds should help too. You should be able to find the right angle to tilt them without closing them to keep the prying eyes out and still let the sunlight in.

solutions.3m.com said:
3M Window Films are designed to:

* offer fade protection for your furniture, drapes, carpets and more
* cut annoying glare
* reduce up to 99% of the sun's harmful ultraviolet rays
* reduce excessive heat gain through your windows
* provide increased comfort and energy savings
* prevent injury from glass fragments due to crime,
destructive weather and terrorism
uh...

Yeah, I haven't found miniblinds that will fit these windows. But I'm happy with film options. I'll also look for the plastic sheets Evo mentioned. What a relief!

lisab said:
Ah trib, dream on. My sister-in-law...now, I love her to death, but if seeing her naked is the highlight of your week, you really need a life :wink: .

At family reunions, we're about 50 people squished into one or two houses - not a lot of privacy. Besides, we're all family.

notice where I said I'd like to check your windows when YOU are taking off your clothes.

I just knew voyeurism was going to creep into this thread. ;P

Ah, Lowes has it: Privacy window film. 19.5 sq. ft for $16. Cheap!

tribdog said:
notice where I said I'd like to check your windows when YOU are taking off your clothes.

:wink: ah...got it...

Lowe's seems to have window film for privacy, or at least they have a discussion about it:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=/Energy/WndFlm.html

edit: oops, just saw OAQ has already found it at Lowe's

Okay. Just finished installing the film from Lowes. I was able to cover most of the windows with one roll (3'x6.5'). I'm two inches shy on two of the three windows, so I'll just add a few strips of rice paper. So much better! Total bill, with installation kit: $24.01

Thank you everyone!

How many bubbles?

Yea we knock off points for bubbles. We should probably shave a few points off for the rice paper too.

Related to Please help me with window work.

1. What exactly is window work?

Window work refers to any type of maintenance or repair work that is done on windows. This can include cleaning, weatherproofing, and fixing any damage or issues with the window frame or glass.

2. How often should I have window work done?

The frequency of window work depends on various factors such as the age and condition of your windows, the climate in your area, and the type of window. Generally, it is recommended to have window work done at least once a year to ensure they are in good condition.

3. Can I do window work myself or do I need a professional?

It depends on the type of window work that needs to be done. Some tasks, such as cleaning and basic maintenance, can be done on your own. However, more complex tasks like replacing a broken window or fixing structural damage should be done by a professional for safety and quality reasons.

4. How long does window work usually take to complete?

The duration of window work can vary depending on the type and extent of the work being done. Simple tasks like cleaning may take a few hours, while larger projects like replacing windows can take a few days. It is best to consult with a professional for a more accurate estimate.

5. How much does window work typically cost?

The cost of window work can vary greatly depending on the type and extent of the work, the materials used, and the location. It is best to get quotes from multiple professionals and compare them to find the best option for your budget.