When Will the Cistern Become Empty with Pipes X, Y, and Z Operating?

• Thread starter 22990atinesh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Work
In summary, the cistern will become empty in 14 hours if the pipes are opened in order at 4 AM, 5 AM, and 6 AM.
22990atinesh

Homework Statement

Q. A cistern has 3 pipes X, Y, Z. X and Y are filler pipes used in filling the tank in 4 & 5 hours respectively. Z is an exhaust pipe which empties the tank in 2 hours. If the pipes are opened in order at 4 AM, 5 AM & 6 AM respectively. Then When will the cistern become empty ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##R_X## Rate of pipe X = ##\frac {1}{4}##
##R_Y## Rate of pipe Y = ##\frac {1}{5}##
##R_Z## Rate of pipe Z = ##\frac {1}{2}##

X --> 4 AM --> t
Y --> 5 AM --> t+1
Z --> 6 AM --> t+2

"Cistern become Empty" represents 0 work

##t*R_X## + ##(t+1)*R_Y## + ##(t+2)*R_Z## = 0

##t=14 hours => 8 PM##

Is it the correct answer and does my approach is correct. If anybody has a more simpler approach then please share...

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is incorrect. There are many signs that are wrong: should all the rates have the same sign? And what about time: is the clock time at which a pipe is opened the correct value to consider?

22990atinesh said:

Homework Statement

Q. A cistern has 3 pipes X, Y, Z. X and Y are filler pipes used in filling the tank in 4 & 5 hours respectively. Z is an exhaust pipe which empties the tank in 2 hours. If the pipes are opened in order at 4 AM, 5 AM & 6 AM respectively. Then When will the cistern become empty ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

##R_X## Rate of pipe X = ##\frac {1}{4}##
##R_Y## Rate of pipe Y = ##\frac {1}{5}##
##R_Z## Rate of pipe Z = ##\frac {1}{2}##

X --> 4 AM --> t
Y --> 5 AM --> t+1
Z --> 6 AM --> t+2

"Cistern become Empty" represents 0 work

##t*R_X## + ##(t+1)*R_Y## + ##(t+2)*R_Z## = 0

##t=14 hours => 8 PM##
If I substitute the flow rates into your equation above, I get
t(1/4) + (t + 1)(1/5) + (t + 2)(1/2) = 0
=> t/4 + t/5 + 1/5 + t/2 + 1 = 0
=> 19t/20 = -24/20
=> t = -24/19 (hours)

That's a long way from your 14 hours.
22990atinesh said:
Is it the correct answer and does my approach is correct. If anybody has a more simpler approach then please share...
No, your answer is incorrect, and the equation your started with is incorrect. Also, the work you did in solving your equation doesn't result in 14 hours, so you must have made a mistake there, as well.

There are several things wrong with your analysis.
1. The flow rates (not work rates) can't all be positive. Each flow rate is in units of tank/hour. Water is coming into the tank through two pipes, and is going out of the tank through the third pipe. The flow rates need to take this into account, which isn't happening in your equation.
2. If water starts coming into the tank through pipe X at 4AM and water comes in through pipe Y at 5AM, then the time that water comes in via pipe X is longer than for pipe Y. You have
X --> 4 AM --> t
Y --> 5 AM --> t+1
Z --> 6 AM --> t+2
What you have implies that pipe Z is running two hours more than pipe X , and pipe Y is running one hour longer than pipe X. Neither of these is true.
3. I don't know how you got t = 14 hours from your equation.

Last edited:
I don't know if this problem is solvable with those datas, does the state of the cistern at 4AM not influence the result ?

jk22 said:
I don't know if this problem is solvable with those datas, does the state of the cistern at 4AM not influence the result ?
My reading of the problem is that you should take the cistern to be initially empty.

I really don't have clue how I got t=14 hours, May be in hurry is mis-solved it. But Whats the correct answer of this question.

Use the hints given in this thread to write the correct equation, and then solve the equation.

It is against the rules of this forum to give the answers. This is from the forum rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380).
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

1. How do I approach solving a Time & Work question?

When solving a Time & Work question, it is important to first identify the given information such as the number of workers, time taken, and amount of work done. Then, use the formula "Work = Rate x Time" to set up an equation and solve for the unknown variable.

2. What is the formula for solving Time & Work questions?

The formula for solving Time & Work questions is "Work = Rate x Time". This formula represents the relationship between the amount of work done, the rate at which it is done, and the time taken to complete the work.

3. How do I calculate the rate in a Time & Work question?

The rate in a Time & Work question can be calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time taken. For example, if 5 workers can complete a job in 10 days, the rate would be 5 workers/10 days = 0.5 workers per day.

4. What is the difference between a direct and an inverse Time & Work question?

In a direct Time & Work question, the number of workers or time taken is directly proportional to the amount of work done. This means that if the number of workers increases, the time taken or amount of work done also increases. In an inverse Time & Work question, the number of workers or time taken is inversely proportional to the amount of work done. This means that if the number of workers increases, the time taken or amount of work done decreases.

5. How can I check my answer for a Time & Work question?

You can check your answer for a Time & Work question by plugging it back into the original equation "Work = Rate x Time" and seeing if it satisfies the given information. You can also use unit analysis to ensure that your answer has the correct units (e.g. workers, days, etc.)