Pn junction diode (series combo of voltage source and diode)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for current through a resistor after a pn junction, with the voltage source in opposite polarity to that of the 0.8V source. The suggested method and results appear to be correct, with the suggestion to use a suitable unit size for displaying the result. The poster also mentions not being familiar with the prefix system, but now knows about it.
NolcPhysics

The question is to solve the current through a resistor after a pn junction. (photo attached)
As far as I'm aware the voltage source in the pn junction is (in this orientation) of opposite polarity to that of the 0.8V voltage source.

From my understanding the answer goes like:

V=IR
I=V/R

I=(0.8-0.7)/1500
I= 66e-6 Amps

I'm just checking my logic, I can't find anything in my lecture notes.
Chances are I'm wrong, circuits are the bane of my life so if anyone has any tips/advice on this I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks for reading!
IMAG0137[1].jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi NolcPhysics, Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future please be sure to retain and use the posting template provided for formatting your question layout when you start a new thread in the Homework sections of the forums.

Regarding your problem, your method and results look fine. You might take advantage of the metric prefix system and choose a suitable unit size to display your result (micro amps, μA, would be appropriate).

ok, thanks.
I will in future
grand so, I wasn't sure if my logic was correct. I wasn't aware the prefix system here, now know about it.

What is a PN junction diode?

A PN junction diode is a type of semiconductor device that allows current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the opposite direction. It is formed by joining a p-type semiconductor (which has an excess of positively charged holes) and an n-type semiconductor (which has an excess of negatively charged electrons).

How does a PN junction diode work?

When a voltage is applied to a PN junction diode, the positive terminal of the voltage source attracts the electrons in the n-type material and the negative terminal attracts the holes in the p-type material. This creates a depletion zone at the junction where there are no free charge carriers. When the voltage is high enough, the depletion zone breaks down and current can flow through the diode.

What is the purpose of connecting a PN junction diode in series with a voltage source?

By connecting a PN junction diode in series with a voltage source, the diode can be used as a voltage regulator. When the voltage across the diode reaches a certain value (known as the forward voltage), the diode will start conducting and prevent any further increase in voltage. This allows for a constant output voltage to be maintained.

What is the difference between a forward-biased and reverse-biased PN junction diode?

A forward-biased PN junction diode has a positive voltage applied to the p-type material and a negative voltage applied to the n-type material, allowing current to flow through the diode. In a reverse-biased diode, the polarity of the voltage source is reversed, causing the diode to block current flow.

What are some common applications of PN junction diodes?

PN junction diodes are used in a variety of electronic devices, including rectifiers, voltage regulators, and signal modulators. They are also commonly used in solar cells to convert sunlight into electricity. Additionally, they are used in high-frequency circuits, such as radio and television receivers, as well as in lighting applications like LEDs.