Pocket size molecular spectrometer

In summary, the Scio pocket size molecular spectrometer from Consumer Physics is an IR spectrometer that is marketed as being able to identify substances. There is limited technical information available on the instrument itself, which has raised some concerns about its capabilities. Raman spectrometers, which use laser excitation, are more difficult to make in a pocket size due to technical limitations. There is also limited information on affordable and accurate handheld IR spectrometers available, but they could potentially be useful for detecting impurities in water or substances in food and drinks. Handheld Raman spectrometers, particularly those using 532-nm excitation, have shown promise in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, forensics, and homeland security. However,
Rainbows_
Has anyone owned the Scio pocket size molecular spectrometer that can make you identify substances? see https://www.consumerphysics.com/

how accurate is it? Is there a size limit for any spectrometer where accuracy could be affected?

the Scio is an IR spectrometer.. is pocket size Raman spectrometer more difficult to make, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rainbows_ said:
Has anyone owned the Scio pocket size molecular spectrometer that can make you identify substances? see https://www.consumerphysics.com/

how accurate is it? Is there a size limit for any spectrometer where accuracy could be affected?

the Scio is an IR spectrometer.. is pocket size Raman spectrometer more difficult to make, why?
That's not a very helpful link, IMO. Please link to the datasheet and mainstream reviews of the instrument. Sounds promising in principle, but linking to the main flashy Marketing web page is not helpful.

Last edited:
And...
Other than Near InfraRed, Bluetooth, Apple, Android, no technical info to be found on their site...It's all "Contact us for more information."
  • The website owner is buried behind an anonymizer located in Arizona
  • Google search turns up 1 480 000 hits (plus lots of suggested searches...read some before you buy)
  • crunchbase.com says: "Consumer Physics is an Israel startup..."
  • US Trademark registration: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:t9hney.2.3
    ...Owner (APPLICANT) VERIFOOD, LTD. CORPORATION ISRAEL P.O. BOX 12414 HERZLIYA INDUSTRIAL ZONE HERZLIYA ISRAEL 46733
  • One site stated they crowd-sourced USD$2 500 000 in startup funding in 2014

I've done some searches and I'm having a hard time finding information on the instrument itself and separating that from information on the software that is available to interpret the spectra. Seems like smoke and mirrors.

The SCIO being an IR spectrometer was supposed to detect contents of medicines, foods, etc.
What about Raman Spectrometer, what can it detect that can't by IR?
What is the smallest and cheapest Raman Spectrometer? I heard this can detect bombs at distance by laser. Sometimes I get nervous going to the mall and if I have a handheld raman spectrometer, I can scan suspicious bags of any bombs.. but what if the bomb is inside a bag? Or just detect poisons in drinks or even meds like date rape drugs put in drinks. Pocket spectrometer will really be useful especially for ladies on a date.

btw.. beside the alleged SCIO.. what other handheld molecular IR scanners already released that is affordable and accurate enough? I think this is cheaper than handheld Raman spectrometer.

Whenenver I eat out. I was always served water that I'm not sure is clean.. I don't know the water filtering stages used. Therefore I'd like to use my handheld IR spectrometer to see if the water is pure or has impurities and what are they so I can decide how clean they are.

Usually what are other practical uses of handheld IR spectrometer vs a Raman spectrometer?

Rainbows_ said:
btw.. beside the alleged SCIO.. what other handheld molecular IR scanners already released that is affordable and accurate enough? I think this is cheaper than handheld Raman spectrometer.

Whenenver I eat out. I was always served water that I'm not sure is clean.. I don't know the water filtering stages used. Therefore I'd like to use my handheld IR spectrometer to see if the water is pure or has impurities and what are they so I can decide how clean they are.

Usually what are other practical uses of handheld IR spectrometer vs a Raman spectrometer?

Here's from a professional Spectroscopy source: http://www.spectroscopyonline.com/r...ustry-pharma-police-and-homeland-security-532

Recent Developments in Handheld Raman Spectroscopy for Industry, Pharma, Forensics, and Homeland Security: 532-nm Excitation Revisited

"Recent advances in Raman instrumentation have resulted in the development of easy-to-use and efficient handheld Raman analyzers. Most of the commercially available handheld Raman devices use 785- or 1064-nm excitation. This article directly demonstrates the performance of 532-nm handheld Raman (versus 785- and 1064-nm excitation) for the analysis of biopharmaceuticals for structure and counterfeit testing as well as explosive detection. The results presented here will contribute to recognition of 532-nm Raman excitation as a highly attractive option for rapid and effortless analysis in the field."

any idea how much one costs? and would handheld IR spectrometer be more accurate than these handheld Raman spectrometer when I just want to know if the water served in restaurant or fast food chains are really pure or dirty? or even has drugs laced into it? this would be useful for anyone especially women when you go to another country (In India, many female tourists were raped by tourist guides after lacing their drinks with sleeping pills).

1. What is a pocket size molecular spectrometer?

A pocket size molecular spectrometer is a small, handheld device that uses spectroscopy techniques to analyze the chemical composition of a sample. It works by measuring the absorption, emission, or scattering of light by molecules in the sample, providing detailed information about its molecular structure and composition.

2. How does a pocket size molecular spectrometer work?

The spectrometer emits a beam of light onto the sample and measures how much of the light is absorbed or scattered. This information is then compared to a database of known molecular structures to identify the components in the sample. Some spectrometers also use specialized sensors and detectors to enhance the accuracy and sensitivity of the measurements.

3. What types of samples can be analyzed with a pocket size molecular spectrometer?

Pocket size molecular spectrometers can analyze a wide range of samples, including liquids, solids, and gases. They are commonly used in fields such as environmental science, food and agriculture, pharmaceuticals, and forensics to identify and quantify various chemicals and compounds in different types of samples.

4. What are the advantages of using a pocket size molecular spectrometer?

One of the main advantages of a pocket size molecular spectrometer is its portability and convenience. It can be easily carried and used in the field, reducing the need for complex and time-consuming lab tests. Additionally, the non-destructive nature of spectroscopy techniques allows for quick and accurate analysis without damaging the sample.

5. Are there any limitations to using a pocket size molecular spectrometer?

While pocket size molecular spectrometers offer many benefits, they also have some limitations. For example, they may not be as sensitive or precise as larger, more expensive spectrometers. Additionally, the database of known molecular structures may not include all possible compounds, which can affect the accuracy of the results. It is important to consider the specific needs and requirements of the analysis before choosing a pocket size molecular spectrometer.