Pointwise vs. uniform convergence

In summary: This doesn't explain the fact that the ##f_n## are not defined. It would make more sense to me to ask, whether ##f(x)## is uniformly continuous or not.The problem asks to determine if the sequence of functions ##(f_n)_n## converges towards ##f## given by ##f(x) = xe^{-x}##. This is stated in the problem. The sequence of functions is defined as ##f_n(x) = f(nx)## earlier in the book. The problem is to determine if the sequence converges pointwise or uniformly.
Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
I am trying determine wether ##f_n## converges pointwise or/and uniformly when ## f(x)=xe^{-x} ## for ##x \geq 0 ##.

Relevant equations
##f_n## converges pointwise if ## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f_n(x) = f(x) \ \ \ \ \ ## (1)
##f_n## converges uniformly if ## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || f_n - f || = 0 \ \ \ \ \ ## (2)

The attempt
##f_n(x) = f(nx) =nxe^{-nx} ##

Pointwise? (1)
## f(x) = \ \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f_n(x) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} nxe^{-nx} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{nx}{e^{nx}} = 0##

Uniformly? (2)
## 0 = \ \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || f_n - f || = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || nxe^{-nx} - xe^{-x} || ##:I am not sure how to continue from here and wether the last step was correct:
## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || nxe^{-nx} - xe^{-x} || = 0 ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post the exact wording of the question. Do not post extra info in "Attempt". This makes it very confusing to Homework Helpers.

It appears to me that the pointwise limit of ##f_n## is the 0 function.

Now, you have to show that

$$\forall \epsilon > 0: \exists n_0: \forall n \geq n_0: \forall x: \left|\frac{e^{nx}}{nx}\right| < \epsilon$$

to find uniform convergence.

Last edited by a moderator:
The exact wording of this question is in another language. Sorry, if you find my translation and formatting confusing. I have edited the OP and tried to make my point clearer.

Rectifier said:
The exact wording of this question is in another language. Sorry, if you find my translation and formatting confusing. I have edited the OP and tried to make my point clearer.

Does it ask to determine whether the sequence of functions ##(f_n)_n## converge towards ##f## given by ##f(x) = xe^{-x}##?

If so, clearly the answer is no, since it converges to ##g = 0##, and limits are unique.

Likes nuuskur
Math_QED said:
Does it ask to determine whether the sequence of functions ##(f_n)_n## converge towards ##f## given by ##f(x) = xe^{-x}##?
This chapter is about sequence of functions but the notation is different. According to my book its ##S_nf(x) = f(nx) ## and sometimes just ##f_n(x)##. The question is to determine how (pointwise/uniform) it converges and not whether it does it.

Rectifier said:
This chapter is about sequence of functions but the notation is different. According to my book its ##S_nf(x) = f(nx) ## and sometimes just ##f_n(x)##. The question is to determine how (pointwise/uniform) it converges and not whether it does it.

But where does the function ##f(x) = xe^{-x}## come from (see your OP)? Is this included in the problem? Or is your guess for the pointwise limit?

Likes Rectifier
Math_QED said:
But where does the function ##f(x) = xe^{-x}## come from (see your OP)? Is this included in the problem? Or is your guess for the pointwise limit?
Its in the problem. Let me try to reword the problem once again:
Examine if the sequence of funtions ##f_n(x)## when ##f(x) = xe^{-x}## converges pointwise for ## x \geq 0 ##. In case the sequence of functions does converge get the limit function and determine if the sequence converges uniformly.

Rectifier said:
Its in the problem. Let me try to reword the problem once again:
Examine if the funtion ##f(x) = xe^{-x}## converges pointwise for ## x \geq 0 ##. In case the sequence of functions does converge get the limit function and determine if the sequence converges uniformly.

That's my problem! WHAT sequence of functions? The problem does not seem to include that. It is meaningless to consider pointwise convergence of one particular function, unless they consider it as a constant sequence of that function, but then the problem is trivial so I think the problem is flawed.

Likes Rectifier
Sorry once again. I made an edit just a moment ago. You were quick to reply.

Secuence of funtions is definied as ## f_n(x) = f(nx) ## earlier in my book.

Rectifier said:
Sorry once again. I made an edit just a moment ago. You were quick to reply.

Secuence of funtions is definied as ## f_n(x) = f(nx) ## earlier in my book.

Okay, let us get this thing straight. I will formulate the problem as I understand it:

Let ##f: \mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R}## be given by ##f(x) = xe^{-x}##. Define a sequence of functions ##(f_n: \mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R})_n## by letting ##f_n(x) = f(nx) = nxe^{-nx}##. Determine if ##f_n \to f## pointswise and/or uniformly.

Is this the correct problem?

Likes Rectifier
Rectifier said:
This doesn't explain the fact that the ##f_n## are not defined. It would make more sense to me to ask, whether ##f(x)## is uniformly continuous or not.

Likes Rectifier
I am confused. We'd attempt to show ##f_n(x)\xrightarrow[n\to\infty]{} 0, x\geq 0 ## (this does hold), why would we even further contemplate whether ##f_n ## converges to anything else (pointwise or uniformly) other than ##g(x) = 0\neq xe^{-x}, x\geq 0 ##?

Likes Rectifier and member 587159
nuuskur said:
I am confused. We'd attempt to show ##f_n(x)\xrightarrow[n\to\infty]{} 0, x\geq 0 ## (this does hold), why would we even further contemplate whether ##f_n ## converges to anything else (pointwise or uniformly) other than ##g(x) = 0\neq xe^{-x}, x\geq 0 ##?

Indeed, this was what I was addressing in #4.

Math_QED said:
Okay, let us get this thing straight. I will formulate the problem as I understand it:

Let ##f: \mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R}## be given by ##f(x) = xe^{-x}##. Define a sequence of functions ##(f_n: \mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R})_n## by letting ##f_n(x) = f(nx) = nxe^{-nx}##. Determine if ##f_n \to f## pointswise and/or uniformly.

Is this the correct problem?
Yes, I think so.

Rectifier said:
Yes, I think so.

Okay. Then the problem is actually very easy. See post #4 and #12.

Likes Rectifier
Math_QED said:
If so, clearly the answer is no, since it converges to ##g = 0##, and limits are unique.

nuuskur said:
We'd attempt to show ##f_n(x)\xrightarrow[n\to\infty]{} 0, x\geq 0 ## (this does hold), why would we even further contemplate whether ##f_n ## converges to anything else (pointwise or uniformly) other than ##g(x) = 0\neq xe^{-x}, x\geq 0 ##?

What is ## g ## here? Is that f(x) in (1) ?

Rectifier said:
##f_n## converges pointwise if ## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f_n(x) = f(x) \ \ \ \ \ ## (1)
##f_n## converges uniformly if ## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || f_n - f || = 0 \ \ \ \ \ ## (2)

Rectifier said:
What is ## g ## here? Is that f(x) in (1) ?

##g = 0## is shorthand notation for ##g: \mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R}: x \mapsto 0##

It is easy to see that this is the pointwise limit, since for any ##x## in the domain

##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x) = \lim_{n \to \infty} nxe^{-nx} = 0 = g(x)##

Likes Rectifier
And now I am somehow supposed to show that the function series does not cenverge uniformly by showing that
## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || f_n - g || = \sup_{x \geq 0} | f_n - g | \neq 0 \ \ \ \ \ ##
So in other words, should I just insert ##g = 0## and ## f_n = nxe^{-nx}## since that's what we got earlier?

Rectifier said:
And now I am somehow supposed to show that the function series does not cenverge uniformly by showing that
## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || f_n - g || = \sup_{x \geq 0} | f_n - g | \neq 0 \ \ \ \ \ ##
So in other words, should I just insert ##g = 0## and ## f_n = nxe^{-nx}## since that's what we got earlier?

You are already done.

Indeed, it is true:

##f_n \to f## uniform ##\implies f_n \to f## pointwise

and by applying contraposition on this, we find that ##f## can't be a uniform limit of ##(f_n)_n##, because it isn't a pointwise limit.

Likes nuuskur and Rectifier

1. What is the difference between pointwise and uniform convergence?

Pointwise convergence refers to a sequence of functions that converges to a limit function at each point in the domain. On the other hand, uniform convergence occurs when the sequence of functions converges to the limit function at each point in the domain, but also does so at a certain rate, or "uniformly". In other words, uniform convergence requires that the functions in the sequence approach the limit function at the same rate across the entire domain.

2. How can pointwise and uniform convergence be visualized?

Pointwise convergence can be visualized as a series of curves approaching a limit curve at each point in the domain. Uniform convergence, on the other hand, can be visualized as a "tube" of curves converging towards the limit function at a uniform rate across the entire domain.

3. What are some real-world applications of pointwise and uniform convergence?

Pointwise convergence is often used in physics and engineering to approximate continuous functions with a series of simpler functions. Uniform convergence is important in numerical analysis and computer science, as it ensures that approximations made using algorithms are accurate across the entire domain.

4. How is the concept of continuity related to pointwise and uniform convergence?

Pointwise convergence is necessary for a sequence of functions to converge to a continuous limit function at each point in the domain. Uniform convergence, on the other hand, is necessary for a sequence of continuous functions to converge to a continuous limit function across the entire domain.

5. Can a sequence of functions have pointwise convergence but not uniform convergence?

Yes, a sequence of functions can have pointwise convergence but not uniform convergence. This occurs when the functions in the sequence approach the limit function at different rates across the domain, rather than at a uniform rate. In other words, the "tube" of curves for uniform convergence is not formed, and the convergence is not uniform across the entire domain.