Poisson Ratio -- Finding a corresponding analytical solution for the strain

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the poisson ratio in a FE simulation and the discrepancies between the analytical solution and the simulation results. The analytical solution for strain_xx is derived and it is found to be equal to -v * strain_yy / (1-v) = 0.0485714... in plain strain situation. The conversation also mentions the relation between stress and strain in the x-direction and the importance of considering the freedom of expansion in the right x-direction.
Br--1995
TL;DR Summary
Find a corresponding analytical solution for the strain in the x-direction caused by the poisson ratio.
Hi, I ran into problems using the poisson ratio.
For a FE simulation I created a simple 2D 1mm x 1mm block, and prescribed a 0.1 mm displacement at the top edge.
Furthermore, the bottom edge is constraint in the y-dir, and the left edge in the x-dir.
The material parameters are E = 100, and v (poisson ratio) = 0.3.
Note the simulation is executed for a plane strain assumption!

To verify the results I would like to solve the analytical solution for this problem.
This is quite simple tbh, I use the 2D strain-stress relations for the plane strain problem.
However, the simulation shows that the strain_yy = -0.1 (as expected) but the strain_xx = 0.04285714.

I really cannot figure out the analytical solution for the strain_xx, I would expect this to be 0.03 (strain_xx = -v * strain_yy).

I know that the 0.0428.. value should be the correct one, because I tried the simulation in different simulation software.
Hopefully someone can explain me how to get this value analytically?

Thanks in advance!

Situation_sketch.PNG Displacement_x.PNG Strain_xx.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just by looking at the numbers: strain_xx = -v * strain_yy / (1-v) = 0.0485714...

Likes Br--1995
In the plain strain situation, the strain in the 3rd direction is zero. This results in a larger strain in the transverse direction. Try the calculation with plain stress and see what you get. For plain strain, you get $$\epsilon_y=-\frac{\nu}{(1-\nu)}\epsilon_x=-0.04286$$

Last edited:
Likes Br--1995
Chestermiller said:
In the plain strain situation, the strain in the 3rd direction is zero. This results in a larger strain in the transverse direction. Try the calculation with plain stress and see what you get. For plain strain, you get $$\epsilon_y=-\frac{\nu}{(1-\nu)}\epsilon_x=-0.04286$$
Thank you very much for your answer, that's the relation I was looking for. (Note, there is a small typo: $$\epsilon_x$$ and $$\epsilon_y$$ should be the other way around)

To make the story complete, I expect this relation is derived by:
$$\sigma_x = \frac{E}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)} [(1-\nu) \epsilon_x + \nu \epsilon_y]$$

Because the block is not constraint in the right x-dir, it can expand freely -> conclusion: $$\sigma_x = 0$$
Therefore, we can write the previous eq. for the strain in the x-dir as :
$$\epsilon_x = -\frac{\nu}{1-\nu} \epsilon_y $$

Correct me if I am wrong.

Br--1995 said:
Thank you very much for your answer, that's the relation I was looking for. (Note, there is a small typo: $$\epsilon_x$$ and $$\epsilon_y$$ should be the other way around)

To make the story complete, I expect this relation is derived by:
$$\sigma_x = \frac{E}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)} [(1-\nu) \epsilon_x + \nu \epsilon_y]$$

Because the block is not constraint in the right x-dir, it can expand freely -> conclusion: $$\sigma_x = 0$$
Therefore, we can write the previous eq. for the strain in the x-dir as :
$$\epsilon_x = -\frac{\nu}{1-\nu} \epsilon_y $$

Correct me if I am wrong.
That's not exactly the way I did it, but it is correct. I hope you also noticed that ##\sigma_y## is not equal to ##E\epsilon_y##, but rather $$\frac{E\epsilon_y}{(1-\nu^2)}$$

Likes Br--1995
Chestermiller said:
That's not exactly the way I did it, but it is correct. I hope you also noticed that ##\sigma_y## is not equal to ##E\epsilon_y##, but rather $$\frac{E\epsilon_y}{(1-\nu^2)}$$
Thank you for your help! Yes I've noticed this.

1. What is the Poisson Ratio?

The Poisson Ratio is a measure of the ratio of lateral strain to axial strain for a given material. It is denoted by the Greek letter ν (nu) and is typically between 0 and 0.5 for most materials.

2. Why is it important to find an analytical solution for the strain?

Finding an analytical solution for the strain allows for a better understanding of the behavior of a material under stress and can help predict its response to different loading conditions. This information is crucial in designing and engineering structures and materials.

3. How is the Poisson Ratio calculated?

The Poisson Ratio is calculated by dividing the lateral strain by the axial strain. It can also be calculated using other material properties such as Young's Modulus and Shear Modulus.

4. What are the challenges in finding an analytical solution for the strain?

One of the main challenges in finding an analytical solution for the strain is the complexity of the material's behavior under different loading conditions. Additionally, the non-linear behavior of some materials can make it difficult to find a single analytical solution that applies to all scenarios.

5. How is the Poisson Ratio used in real-world applications?

The Poisson Ratio is used in a variety of real-world applications, including structural engineering, material testing, and design of medical devices. It is also used to predict the behavior of materials under different types of stress and to ensure the safety and durability of structures and products.