Polar curves/Area of rectangle

In summary, the student is struggling with part (c) of a pre-calculus question and is asking for clarification on how to find the length SP using the given information. They mention attempting to use a mark scheme for the answer, but still cannot figure it out. A mentor also provides a hint to try a certain value for theta. However, the mentor's post also implies that part (c) may require calculus, so the thread is moved to a more appropriate forum.
trew

Homework Statement

w4peKxQ.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part C is confusing me.

I got the height PQ to be 16/3root6

But I'm lost as to how to find the length SP. The mark scheme has the answer as 8, or (SP/2 = 4 therefore SP = 8) but I still can't figure it out, maybe it's 'cause I've been doing questions all day.

Can someone shed some light on this for me please.

Attachments

• w4peKxQ.png
    w4peKxQ.png
    27 KB · Views: 837
Physics news on Phys.org
Try ##\theta=0## :rolleyes:

Likes trew
BvU said:
Try ##\theta=0## :rolleyes:
<Content edited by mentor>
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
trew said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 225862

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part C is confusing me.

I got the height PQ to be 16/3root6

But I'm lost as to how to find the length SP. The mark scheme has the answer as 8, or (SP/2 = 4 therefore SP = 8) but I still can't figure it out, maybe it's 'cause I've been doing questions all day.

Can someone shed some light on this for me please.

Part (c) needs calculus, so should certainly not appear in a "pre-calculus" forum.

Ray Vickson said:
Part (c) needs calculus, so should certainly not appear in a "pre-calculus" forum.
Thread moved for this reason.

1. What is a polar curve?

A polar curve is a graph that shows the relationship between the distance of a point from the origin and its angle from a reference direction. It is commonly used to represent mathematical equations in polar coordinates.

2. How is a polar curve different from a regular curve?

A regular curve is represented in Cartesian coordinates, where the x and y values are plotted on a rectangular grid. In contrast, a polar curve is represented in polar coordinates, where the distance from the origin and angle from a reference direction are plotted on a polar grid.

3. What is the formula for finding the area of a polar curve?

The formula for finding the area of a polar curve is A = ∫ 1/2 * r^2 dθ, where r is the distance of a point from the origin and θ is the angle from a reference direction. This integral represents the sum of infinitely small areas under the curve.

4. Can a polar curve represent a rectangular shape?

Yes, a polar curve can represent a rectangular shape if the equation for the curve follows the form r = a cos(nθ) or r = a sin(nθ), where a is the length of the sides of the rectangle and n is an integer representing the number of sides. This is known as a "cardioid" shape.

5. How can polar curves be useful in real life?

Polar curves have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to model the motion of planets and satellites, analyze the strength and direction of electric fields, and design efficient structures such as bridges and antennas.