Pole placement design, Control Theory

In summary, the conversation is about the control theory root equation and how it relates to pole placement. The speaker is struggling with a question and shares their work so far, before finding a solution on a math forum.
rakso
Summary:: Control Theory root equation pole

Hi, I ran into a simple question but somehow I can't get it right.
Skärmavbild 2020-11-02 kl. 14.28.47.png

My work this far:

## G_0(s) = G(s) \cdot K \cdot \frac{1}{T_I s} = \frac{k}{\tau s +1} \cdot \frac{2\beta \tau -1}{k} \cdot \frac{2\beta^2 \tau}{Kks} = \frac{2\beta^2\tau}{s(\tau s +1)},##

## G_{cl}(s) = \frac{G_0}{1+G_0} = \frac{2\beta^2 \tau}{s(\tau s +1)+2\beta^2 \tau}.##

Hence the characteristic equation for the poles is ## \phi(s) = s(\tau s +1)+2\beta^2 \tau##, but ## s = -\beta \pm i \beta ## is not a root.

Does anyone see my error?

Muchos gracias

Physics news on Phys.org

What is pole placement design?

Pole placement design is a control theory technique used to determine the desired locations of the poles (or eigenvalues) of a system in order to achieve a desired response. It involves manipulating the system's transfer function by adding feedback control to achieve specific performance goals.

What is control theory?

Control theory is a branch of engineering and mathematics that deals with the analysis and design of systems that can be controlled in order to achieve a desired response. It involves using mathematical models and techniques to design controllers that can manipulate a system's inputs to achieve a desired output.

What is the purpose of pole placement design?

The purpose of pole placement design is to achieve a desired response from a system. By determining the desired locations of the system's poles, the controller can be designed to manipulate the system's inputs in order to achieve specific performance goals such as stability, speed of response, and disturbance rejection.

What are the advantages of pole placement design?

Pole placement design offers several advantages over other control techniques. It allows for precise control of a system's response, can handle complex systems with multiple inputs and outputs, and offers robustness to disturbances and uncertainties. It also allows for easy implementation and tuning of the controller.

What are the limitations of pole placement design?

Although pole placement design offers many advantages, it also has some limitations. It requires a good understanding of the system and its dynamics in order to determine the appropriate pole locations. It also assumes that the system's parameters are known and does not account for nonlinearities in the system. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems with high-order dynamics or systems with large uncertainties.