Polymer/Propellant Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of incompatibility between d-Limonene and Polystyrene, as well as Liquid Isobutane and various polymers. The speaker has tested these substances individually and found that they do not mix well together, resulting in separation of the Polystyrene and other polymers when mixed with Isobutane. The issue may be due to differences in molecular size, weight, and dimension, as well as weak intermolecular forces. The speaker is seeking a solution that will result in a homogenous mixture of Isobutane, a solvent, and a polymer, but is unsure if such a mixture is possible.
PRIDES
Ok, I am really close to this.
d-Limonene dissolves Polystyrene (I have tested this)
and Liquid Isobutane mixes with d-Limonene (I have also tested this)
However, when I mix all three together, the Polystyrene becomes completely separated from the solution.
Same thing with all polymer solutions I try to mix with Isobutane, the polymer ceases to be dissolved.
Is this simply a matter of proportions, or is there something more I need to notice?
Preferably I just need some kind of polymer that is soluble in liquid isobutane, but I don't think that exists.
Is there some kind of mixture that will stay homogenous that consists of isobutane, a solvent, and a polymer?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have just met the incompatible molecular size/weight/dimension problem compounded by small vdW/Heitler-London/dispersion forces between molecules.

1. What is a polymer/propellant solution?

A polymer/propellant solution is a mixture of a polymer (a large molecule made up of many repeating units) and a propellant (a substance that releases gas to create thrust) that is used in rocket fuels. The polymer helps to bind the propellant together and improve its stability and performance.

2. How is a polymer/propellant solution made?

A polymer/propellant solution is typically made by dissolving a polymer, such as HTPB (hydroxyl-terminated polybutadiene), in a solvent such as acetone or dimethylformamide. The propellant, such as ammonium perchlorate, is then added to the solution and mixed until it is evenly distributed.

3. What are the benefits of using a polymer/propellant solution in rocket fuels?

There are several benefits to using a polymer/propellant solution in rocket fuels. Firstly, the polymer helps to bind the propellant together, making it more stable and less likely to crack or degrade. Additionally, the polymer can improve the burn rate and energy release of the propellant, resulting in better performance. Finally, the use of a polymer/propellant solution allows for the creation of customized rocket fuels with specific properties and performance characteristics.

4. What are some common applications of polymer/propellant solutions?

Polymer/propellant solutions are most commonly used in rocket propulsion systems, including solid rocket motors and hybrid rocket engines. They are also used in some pyrotechnic devices, such as fireworks and airbags.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with handling polymer/propellant solutions?

Yes, there are safety concerns to consider when handling polymer/propellant solutions. The propellant used in these solutions is often highly reactive and flammable, and the solvents used can also pose health hazards. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and handle these solutions with care to avoid accidents or injuries.