Polymers - Crystallinity vs. Amorphousness

• Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polymers
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of crystalline and amorphous polymers, with crystalline polymers being strong but brittle and amorphous polymers being tough but not easily broken. Examples of highly crystalline and amorphous polymers, such as Kevlar and polycarbonate, are given and their uses in making shatterproof and bulletproof materials are mentioned. The conversation also acknowledges that these statements are generalizations and do not fully explain the properties of specific materials like Kevlar.
CrimpJiggler
I'm trying to get an understanding of what properties these two forms give a compound. I read that crystalline polymers are very strong but also very brittle whereas amorphous polymers are very tough meaning they can be bent and twisted but won't break. I then read that an example of a highly crystalline polymer is Kevlar and an example of a highly amorphous polymer is polycarbonate. They use polycarbonate to make shatterproof glass and its so tough they even use it to make bulletproof windows. Kevlar fibres are used to make slash/stab proof and even bullet proof clothing. If I'm not mistaken, Kevlar is a common material used in bulletproof vests.

I don't really understand it. They said crystalline polymers are strong but brittle. Kevlar is used to make clothing so it obviously isn't brittle. They said amorphous polymers are tough. From what I read, polycarbonate has a high (higher than room temperature) glass transition temperature so that tough, shatter proof glass is polycarbonate in its glassy state. I'm guessing then that the reason its so shatter proof is because its an extremely strong material so it takes extreme amounts of energy to cause it to break. That makes sense, its just Kevlar that I'm confused about. If crystalline polymers are brittle, why is Kevlar so flexible?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your thinking is correct - and statements that you read are overgeneralized rules of thumb. They do point in the right direction, but they don't tell whole story, as you have nicely shown comparing properties of Kevlar and polycarbonate.

1. What is the difference between crystalline and amorphous polymers?

Crystalline polymers have a highly ordered molecular structure, with repeating units arranged in a regular pattern. Amorphous polymers, on the other hand, have a more random and disordered structure.

2. How does the crystallinity of a polymer affect its properties?

The higher the degree of crystallinity, the stronger and more rigid the polymer will be. Crystalline polymers also tend to have a higher melting point and better chemical resistance compared to amorphous polymers.

3. Can a polymer have both crystalline and amorphous regions?

Yes, many polymers have both crystalline and amorphous regions in their structure. These are known as semi-crystalline polymers. The proportion of crystalline and amorphous regions can vary and greatly affect the overall properties of the polymer.

4. What factors influence the crystallinity of a polymer?

The crystallinity of a polymer is influenced by various factors such as the polymer's molecular weight, processing conditions (e.g. temperature and pressure), and the presence of additives or fillers. These factors can affect the degree of molecular ordering and the rate of crystallization.

5. How is the crystallinity of a polymer measured?

The crystallinity of a polymer can be measured using techniques such as X-ray diffraction, differential scanning calorimetry, and infrared spectroscopy. These methods analyze the molecular structure and arrangement of the polymer to determine the degree of crystallinity.