Pool Heater Installation and Comparison Questions

In summary, the conversation is about pool heaters and their installation. The speaker is looking for information on the power rating and size of a pool heater for comparison purposes. They mention their own experience with a 300,000 BTU natural gas heater on an 18,000 gallon pool in Arizona. They also provide a link to a pool heater size calculator. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking the other person for their help and commenting on the efficiency of their pool heater.
eaboujaoudeh
anyone who has a pool heater? or knows how they are installed?
if yes...please let me know what is the power rating of the pool heater and what size the pool is..i need it for comparison issues. (power in BTU/Hr, kW, J/s...)
thnx
Elie

Physics news on Phys.org
eaboujaoudeh said:
anyone who has a pool heater? or knows how they are installed?
if yes...please let me know what is the power rating of the pool heater and what size the pool is..i need it for comparison issues. (power in BTU/Hr, kW, J/s...)
thnx
Elie

Until I switched to solar, I had a 300,000 BTU natural gas heater on an 18,000 gallon pool. 300,000 BTU was overkill except in the middle of the winter, but I live in Arizona.

But there are a lot of variables, such as wind, surface area, and temperature rise over ambient. The link below has a pool heater size calculator.

http://www.northwestwholesale.com/calculator_heater.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
thnx for ur help...
btw, ur pool heated up quickly compared to other places ! lot of energy for such a pool.

What is the best type of pool heater to install?

The best type of pool heater to install depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some options include gas, electric, solar, and heat pump heaters. Gas heaters are typically more expensive to install but have a lower operating cost. Electric heaters are more affordable upfront but may have higher operating costs. Solar heaters are environmentally-friendly and have no operating costs, but they may not be as effective in colder climates. Heat pump heaters are energy-efficient but may have a higher initial cost.

How do I determine the appropriate size for my pool heater?

The appropriate size for your pool heater depends on the size of your pool, the desired temperature, and the climate in which you live. A general rule of thumb is to choose a heater that can heat your pool at a rate of 1 degree Fahrenheit per hour. It's best to consult with a professional to determine the exact size of heater needed for your specific pool.

What factors should I consider when comparing pool heaters?

When comparing pool heaters, you should consider the type, size, cost, energy efficiency, and warranty. It's important to choose a heater that is compatible with your pool and meets your heating needs. Additionally, consider the initial cost of installation and the long-term operating costs. Energy efficiency can also play a significant role in the cost of operating the heater. Last but not least, make sure to check the warranty to ensure your investment is protected.

Do I need a professional to install my pool heater?

While some homeowners may choose to install their pool heaters themselves, it's highly recommended to hire a professional for the installation process. This will ensure that the heater is properly installed and functioning correctly. Additionally, a professional can help you determine the best type and size of heater for your specific pool and provide valuable maintenance and safety tips.

How long does it take to install a pool heater?

The time it takes to install a pool heater can vary depending on the type of heater and the complexity of the installation. On average, it can take anywhere from 2-4 hours for a professional to install a gas heater, 4-6 hours for an electric heater, and 6-8 hours for a solar or heat pump heater. Keep in mind that additional time may be needed for any necessary repairs or modifications to your pool's plumbing system.