Popular talks by PhD students, May 27

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the Physics and Applied Physics PhD programs at KTH are organizing a short conference for their students to present their research in popular and technical talks. The popular talks on May 27 are open to the public and will cover a diverse range of topics including particle physics, laser physics, biophysics, nuclear engineering, and material physics. The talks will be presented in English, making it accessible for international students, and the program and connection information can be found at the provided link. This is a great opportunity for the students to share their findings and for the public to learn about these exciting fields in science.
Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
As part of a course for the Physics and Applied Physics PhD programs at KTH, I am organising a short conference where the PhD students will present their research in short popular and technical talks. The popular talks on May 27 between 9.30 and 15.45 (CEST) are open to the public (digitally of course) and students have been told to keep them at high-school level.

The many different topics include:
  • Particle physics
  • Laser physics
  • Biophysics
  • Nuclear engineering and power safety
  • Material physics
  • .. and others
As many of our students are recruited internationally, talks will be predominantly given in English.

The program and connection information can be found at https://www.kth.se/sci/nyheter/kth-physics-phd-conference-2021-1.1073970

Posting in this forum as the topics span several of the other forums.

Likes Greg Bernhardt, DennisN, Mister T and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear forum readers,

As a fellow scientist, I am excited to see that the Physics and Applied Physics PhD programs at KTH are organizing a short conference for their students to present their research. It is always important to share our findings and knowledge with others, especially in the scientific community.

I am particularly interested in the popular talks that will be open to the public on May 27. It is a great opportunity for the students to showcase their research to a wider audience and for the public to learn about the exciting topics that will be covered. I am also glad to hear that the talks will be kept at a high-school level, making it accessible for everyone.

I am impressed by the diverse range of topics that will be presented, including particle physics, laser physics, biophysics, nuclear engineering, and material physics. These are all important and rapidly advancing fields in science, and I am sure the talks will be informative and engaging.

I would like to encourage all interested individuals to attend the conference digitally, as many of the students are recruited internationally and English will be the predominant language. The program and connection information can be found at the provided link.

I wish the students and organizers all the best for the conference and look forward to learning more about their research. Let's continue to support and promote scientific communication and collaboration.

1. What is the purpose of "Popular talks by PhD students"?

The purpose of "Popular talks by PhD students" is to provide a platform for PhD students to share their research and ideas with a wider audience. It allows them to practice their presentation skills and communicate their work in an engaging and accessible manner.

2. Who can attend "Popular talks by PhD students"?

Anyone can attend "Popular talks by PhD students" as long as they are interested in the topic being presented. These talks are open to the public and often advertised through university or science communication channels.

3. How long are the talks usually?

The length of the talks can vary, but they are typically around 15-20 minutes long. This allows enough time for the presenter to share their main ideas and findings, while also leaving room for questions and discussion afterwards.

4. Are the talks only about scientific research?

No, the talks can cover a wide range of topics and are not limited to just scientific research. PhD students may also present on their experiences in academia, their personal journey in pursuing a PhD, or other related topics.

5. Can I ask questions during or after the talk?

Yes, there is usually time for questions and discussion after the talk. This is a great opportunity to engage with the presenter and learn more about their research or topic. Don't be afraid to ask questions or share your thoughts!