Positive curvature of a 2D surface

In summary: is more common in papers and books concerned with general relativity (including curved spacetime), and it is the convention that is used in this post.
Apashanka
If considering a 2D surface (plane) having polar coordinate r,θ (where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the anticlockwise angle from the base line as usual)
The metric is now actually ds2=dr2+r22
If now this 2D surface is given a positive curvature of +1 (equivalent to the surface of a sphere) in which the the azimuthal angle is θ and the radial coordinate r is measured from the north pole of the sphere to the point on the surface along a great circle and R is the radius of the sphere.
In that case the metric of a 2D surface having a positive curvature becomes
ds2=dr2+R2sin2(r/R)dθ2
and for large radius of curvature R>>r the metric matches with the metric of a plane 2D surface(e.g without curvature).
Hence for a plane 2D surface being given a positive curvature of +1 it's actually equivalent to the curved surface of a 3D sphere.
My question is if a 3D surface (say for exm sphere) is given a positive or negative curvature then whether it's metric will be in some 4D minkowski space??
Or equivalent to some 3d metric in 4D minkowski space as in the case of a 2D plane.
Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
Apashanka said:
for a plane 2D surface being given a positive curvature of +1 it's actually equivalent to the curved surface of a 3D sphere.

More precisely, the boundary of a 3-ball in 3D space will be a 2-sphere, the "2-D surface with positive curvature +1". However, that does not mean that every 2-sphere is the boundary of a 3-ball in some 3D space. Nothing requires that.

Apashanka said:
if a 3D surface (say for exm sphere) is given a positive or negative curvature then whether it's metric will be in some 4D minkowski space??

No. What will be true is that the boundary of a 4-ball in 4D space (not spacetime, space--i.e., with a Riemannian metric, not a Minkowski metric) will be a 3-sphere, a "3-D surface with positive curvature +1". But, just as above, that does not mean that every 3-sphere is the boundary of a 4-ball in some 4D space. A spacelike surface in a 4D spacetime can be a 3-sphere without being the boundary of anything in a 4D space.

PeterDonis said:
A spacelike surface in a 4D spacetime can be a 3-sphere without being the boundary of anything in a 4D space.
Will you please explain why space like
surface ,for which the two events can be connected earlier than compared to light (since v>c) why not time like or light like surface??

Apashanka said:
Will you please explain why space like
surface

Because that's the only kind of 3-surface in spacetime that is a "space" in the usual sense of that term (having a positive definite metric).

Apashanka said:
will you please explain what actually positive definite metric

A positive definite metric means that the squared interval ##ds^2## between two distinct points is always positive. For example, the metric of a 2D surface that you gave in post #1 is positive definite. So is the metric of ordinary 3-space that you get if you add one more dimension. But the metric of 4D spacetime is not positive definite; squared intervals between distinct points can be positive, negative, or zero.

PeterDonis said:
Because that's the only kind of 3-surface in spacetime that is a "space" in the usual sense of that term (having a positive definite metric).
For space like surface (hypersurface) e.g at any definite tim
PeterDonis said:
A positive definite metric means that the squared interval ##ds^2## between two distinct points is always positive. For example, the metric of a 2D surface that you gave in post #1 is positive definite. So is the metric of ordinary 3-space that you get if you add one more dimension. But the metric of 4D spacetime is not positive definite; squared intervals between distinct points can be positive, negative, or zero.
For space like surface(hypersurface) e.g at any definite time t,square of the interval between two points on that space like surface is negative according to rμ={ct,vec(r)} ,and that surface is actually a 3-dim hypersurface in 4-D space (since three coordinates are required say x,y,z) to define a point on that hypersurface of definite time t.
And according to your post 3 the space like hypersurface is actually a 3 sphere(3-D space with curvature +1)
If that's the case then why not time like hypersurface ??

Am I right??

Last edited:
Apashanka said:
For space like surface(hypersurface) e.g at any definite time t,square of the interval between two points on that space like surface is negative

That depends on which sign convention you use. The convention you describe is called the "timelike convention", where timelike squared intervals are positive and spacelike ones are negative. It is more common in introductory textbooks and sources that are mainly concerned with special relativity (i.e., flat spacetime). The other convention, which I was implicitly using, is called the "spacelike convention", where spacelike squared intervals are positive and timelike ones are negative. This convention is more common in more advanced textbooks and sources that are mainly concerned with general relativity (i.e., curved spacetime).

Apashanka said:
Am I right??

No. See above.

PeterDonis said:
That depends on which sign convention you use. The convention you describe is called the "timelike convention", where timelike squared intervals are positive and spacelike ones are negative. It is more common in introductory textbooks and sources that are mainly concerned with special relativity (i.e., flat spacetime). The other convention, which I was implicitly using, is called the "spacelike convention", where spacelike squared intervals are positive and timelike ones are negative. This convention is more common in more advanced textbooks and sources that are mainly concerned with general relativity (i.e., curved spacetime).
No. See above.
PeterDonis said:
A spacelike surface in a 4D spacetime can be a 3-sphere without being the boundary of anything in a 4D space
One thing I want to clarify ,whether the hypersurface in 4-D minkowski space corresponding to space like intervals is the 3-sphere.
And why is time like surface not taken since it's interval squared is -ve and doesn't make sense??

Apashanka said:
whether the hypersurface in 4-D minkowski space corresponding to space like intervals is the 3-sphere.

No, it's ordinary Euclidean 3-space.

Apashanka said:
why is time like surface not taken since it's interval squared is -ve and doesn't make sense??

I don't understand what you're asking.

PeterDonis said:
No, it's ordinary Euclidean 3-space.
So sir what's the difference in 3-dim sphere (without curvature) and 3-sphere(3-D surface with curvature +1) ,if both are in ordinary euclidean 3-space.

Apashanka said:
what's the difference in 3-dim sphere (without curvature) and 3-sphere(3-D surface with curvature +1) ,if both are in ordinary euclidean 3-space.

A 3-dimensional sphere is just a subset of ordinary Euclidean 3-space. The correct term for it is actually a 3-ball.

A 3-sphere cannot exist in ordinary Euclidean 3-space; ordinary Euclidean 3-space is a different 3-manifold from a 3-sphere.

Metric of plane 2-D surface is
ds2=dr2+r22.
For positively curved 2-D space
Metric:ds2=dr2+R2sin2(r/R)dθ2
Where R(radius of curvature).
Hence for the term for positive curvature is Sk(r)=Rsin(r/R) where in 2-D case the curvature term is added to the θ coordinate not r coordinate.
Similarly if for a 3-D euclidean flat space the metric is dr2+r22+r2sin2θdΦ2.
If this space is positively curved then what will be the metric and where would the curvature term gets added and what does the term R signify here.??
Thank you

@Apashanka I moved your post in a new thread into this thread, since it's really part of the same topic.

Apashanka said:
If this space is positively curved then what will be the metric

If the curvature is constant (which you implicitly assumed it was for the 2-D case), it will be the metric of a 3-sphere, which is easy to find online.

PeterDonis said:
@Apashanka I moved your post in a new thread into this thread, since it's really part of the same topic.
If the curvature is constant (which you implicitly assumed it was for the 2-D case), it will be the metric of a 3-sphere, which is easy to find online.
I have made a schematic diagram and calculated the metric of a positively curved 2-D surface.
Pardon for image quality.
IMG_20181223_151124.jpg

Using this I have calculated the metric (distance between A and B )
ds2=dr2+Sk2(r)dθ2
Where Sk(r)=Rsin(r/R)
The metric for 3-D positively curved space is given as dr2+Sk(r)2(dθ2+sin2θdΦ2)
Sir will you please help me in make me understand how it is coming (if possible diagrammatically) and its's connection with the diagram I have given above.
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20181223_151124.jpg
    IMG_20181223_151124.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
Apashanka said:
will you please help me in make me understand how it is coming

How what is coming? I don't understand. You've already made the diagram; what else is there to understand?

PeterDonis said:
How what is coming? I don't understand. You've already made the diagram; what else is there to understand?
For the 3-D positively curved space how is the metric coming ,that's what I am asking about??
e.g ds2=dr2+Sk2(r)(dθ2+sin2θdΦ2)
for the 2-D case it is well visualised and that's what I tried to understand diagrammatically.
Will you please help me in understanding this if possible diagrammatically.
Thanks

Apashanka said:
For the 3-D positively curved space how is the metric coming

The same way as for the 2-D surface, just with 2-spheres at each radius ##r## instead of circles. For the 2-D surface, the term ##S_k(r)^2 d\theta^2## represents distance around the circle at radius ##r##. For the 3-sphere, the term ##S_k(r)^2 \left( d\theta^2 + \sin^2 \theta d\phi^2 \right)## represents distance around the 2-sphere at radius ##r##.

Apashanka said:
if possible diagrammatically.

There's no way to draw a diagram of a 3-sphere, since you can't embed one in 3-dimensional space and that's all we can draw diagrams in.

PeterDonis said:
The same way as for the 2-D surface, just with 2-spheres at each radius rrr instead of circles
Sir will you please explain the term 2-sphere

PeterDonis said:
. For the 2-D surface, the term Sk(r)2dθ2Sk(r)2dθ2S_k(r)^2 d\theta^2 represents distance around the circle at radius r
Sir in the diagram I have taken r to be arc length from the north pole and the radius of curvature I have taken to be R for which Sk(r)=Rsin(r/R).

Apashanka said:
will you please explain the term 2-sphere

You already know what a 2-sphere is. It's the positively curved 2-surface with constant curvature.

Based on your posts, I am re-labeling this thread as "B". An "A" level thread requires graduate level knowledge of the subject matter.

Apashanka said:
in the diagram I have taken r to be arc length from the north pole and the radius of curvature I have taken to be R for which Sk(r)=Rsin(r/R).

Yes, I understand all that. And with all that, the term ##S_k(r)^2 d\theta^2## represents (squared) distance around a circle at ##r##, i.e., holding ##r## constant and varying ##\theta##.

Apashanka said:
ds2=dr2+Sk2(r)dθ2
Where Sk(r)=Rsin(r/R)
You can imagine a Euclidean plane as an infinite set of concentric circles - that's what circular polar coordinates do. There's a very simple relationship between the circumference of the circles and the distance to the origin. However, if we make the relationship more complicated, the resulting surface doesn't lie in a Euclidean plane - it can't because the circles won't fit.

Similarly, you can split a Euclidean volume up as nested concentric spheres - this is what spherical polar coordinates do. Again, there's a simple relationship between the area of the spheres and the distance to the origin from that sphere. If you mess around with that relationship, the nested spheres won't fit inside each other in a Euclidean volume. This is a curved space.

Relating this to your diagram, you have shown a small part of a circle on the surface of a sphere. The analogous diagram is a small part of a sphere on the surface of a hypersphere - but that's not possible to draw clearly.

PeterDonis said:
For the 3-sphere, the term Sk(r)2(dθ2+sin2θdϕ2)Sk(r)2(dθ2+sin2⁡θdϕ2)S_k(r)^2 \left( d\theta^2 + \sin^2 \theta d\phi^2 \right) represents distance around the 2-sphere at radius rrr.
Sir if any proof available please suggest that would be more helpful
Thank you

##r^2(d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta d\phi^2)## should be familiar as the metric for the surface of a sphere of radius ##r##. Changing it to ##S_k(r)(d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta d\phi^2)## just means that the sphere at a distance ##r## from the origin doesn't have radius ##r##, instead it has radius (strictly, areal radius) ##\sqrt{S_k(r)}##.

This is just like your circles. The radius of your circles on the surface of a sphere is not the distance, ##r##, along the surface to the pole. It's ##R\sin(r/R)##.

Ibix said:
##r^2(d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta d\phi^2)## should be familiar as the metric for the surface of a sphere of radius ##r##. Changing it to ##S_k(r)(d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta d\phi^2)## just means that the sphere at a distance ##r## from the origin doesn't have radius ##r##, instead it has radius (strictly, areal radius) ##\sqrt{S_k(r)}##.

This is just like your circles. The radius of your circles on the surface of a sphere is not the distance, ##r##, along the surface to the pole. It's ##R\sin(r/R)##.
Am I right in telling that for 2-D positively curved space the elementary length of the circle changes as the radius becomes Sk(r) .
And hence also for 3-D positively curved space the radius of the sphere becomes Sk(r) ,since 2-D plane consists of infinite concentric circle and for positive curvature their radius gets affected.
And 3-D Euclidean space consists of infinite concentric spheres and for positive curvature their radius gets affected
Will the R in Sk(r) =Rsin(r/R) will be the same for both 2-D and 3-D.

What is positive curvature of a 2D surface?

Positive curvature of a 2D surface refers to the amount of outward curvature or bulging of a surface. It is a measure of how much a surface curves away from a flat plane.

How is positive curvature measured?

Positive curvature is measured using a mathematical concept called Gaussian curvature. This value is calculated by measuring the curvature at a specific point on the surface and taking into account the curvature in all directions.

What are some real-life examples of surfaces with positive curvature?

Some examples of surfaces with positive curvature include spheres, eggshells, and the outside of a cylinder.

What are the properties of a surface with positive curvature?

A surface with positive curvature is convex, meaning that it curves outward in all directions. It also has a positive value for Gaussian curvature at all points on the surface.

How does positive curvature affect the behavior of light on a surface?

Positive curvature causes light to bend or converge towards the center of the surface. This is known as focusing or converging optics and is used in lenses and mirrors to manipulate light.