The picture of the Comoving coordinate

In summary: But the coordinate ##\chi## is still the angle in the radial direction.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different notation for the same concepts in understanding the metric in terms of comoving coordinates. The metric is shown in both polar and flat forms, with the use of comoving coordinates such as sigma and chi. The concept of chi as an angle in the radial direction is explained, and its relation to the scale factor is discussed. The conversation also touches on the use of different coordinate charts on a spacelike 3-surface.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to understand the picture of the metric in terms of the comoving coordinates but it become really confusing for me beacuse every book uses different notation for the same things.

So Let's suppose we have a flat 3D Euclidian Space, we can write the metric as,

$$dl^2 = dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2$$ in polar form

$$dl^2 = dR^2 + R^2d\theta^2 + R^2sin(\theta)^2d\phi^2$$

Lets talk about a 2-sphere such that its radius is ##R## is constant. Then the above equation becomes

$$dl^2 = R^2d\theta^2 + R^2sin(\theta)^2d\phi^2$$

Here ##R## is the radial coordinate such that

1589222114650.png

At this point if we assume that the universe is expanding we can no longer claim ##dR = 0##. So let me set comoving coordinate ##\sigma## such that

$$R(t) = a(t)\sigma$$

so we can write,

$$dl^2 = a(t)^2[d\sigma^2 + \sigma^2d\theta^2 + \sigma^2sin(\theta)^2d\phi^2]$$

But this is for the flat case. In general its written as

$$dl^2 = a(t)^2[\frac{d\sigma^2}{1-k\sigma^2} + \sigma^2d\theta^2 + \sigma^2sin(\theta)^2d\phi^2]$$

There is also another comoving coordinate that we use and its generally called ##\chi##. We can transform ##\chi## to ##\sigma## via

##d\chi = \frac{d\sigma}{\sqrt{1-\sigma^2}}##

And we write

$$dl^2 = a(t)^2[d\chi^2 + S_k(\chi)^2dk[d\theta^2 + sin(\theta)^2d\phi^2]]$$

Now I get confused at this point. For ##k=1## above integral becomes,

$$\chi = arcsin(\sigma)$$ or

$$\sigma = sin(\chi)$$

I am troubling to understand this geometrically.

It seems that ##\chi## is some sort of an angle. We are certain that ##\sigma## is in radial direction. So what is the ##\chi## in a geometrical sense

is it the ##|AB| = \chi## arclength. Or is it some sort of an angle such that ##\angle AOB = \chi## ?

Or is the re-scaled version of the ##\sigma## ?

1589223331605.png

So my questions are

1)Does my equations make sense

2) If they are, where is the ##\chi## in this picture.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
It seems that ##\chi## is some sort of an angle.

Yes. If you want to visualize this in terms of the 2-sphere, suppose the spatial origin is at the North Pole; then ##\theta## in the usual angular coordinates (which runs from ##\theta = 0## at the North Pole to ##\theta = \pi## at the South Pole) is the analogue of ##\chi## in the 3-sphere version, and ##\phi## in the usual angular coordinates is the analogue of the 2-sphere coordinates ##\theta## and ##\phi## in the 3-sphere version. In other words, ##\chi## is an angular coordinate in the radial direction (just as, if you are standing at the North Pole on a 2-sphere, ##\theta## is an angular coordinate in your "radial" direction, the direction that points away from you).

To see the correspondence with the "scale factor" version on the 2-sphere, define a coordinate ##\sigma## such that ##2 \pi R \sigma## is the circumference of a line of latitude at radial coordinate ##\sigma##. Then we can see that ##\sigma = \sin \theta##.

Now take the 2-sphere metric in angular coordinates, ##ds^2 = R^2 \left( d\theta^2 + \sin^2 \theta d \phi^2 \right)##, and transform it from coordinates ##(\theta, \phi)## to coordinates ##(\sigma, \phi)##. We have ##d \sigma = \cos \theta d \theta##, so ##d\theta^2 = d\sigma^2 / \cos^2 \theta = d\sigma^2 / (1 - \sigma^2)##, and we obtain...

$$
ds^2 = R^2 \left( \frac{d\sigma^2}{1 - \sigma^2} + \sigma^2 d\phi^2 \right)
$$

...which should look familiar.

I kind of understand but still a bit lost. So, I guess this is the correct picture ?

1589236190805.png

But by doing this we cannot write $R(t) = a(t)\sigma## ?

PeterDonis said:
To see the correspondence with the "scale factor" version on the 2-sphere,
but you never used the scale factor in your equations..?

Arman777 said:
I guess this is the correct picture ?

No. In your picture, we would just have ##\sigma = R \chi##. That's not the equation I used (go back and check--note I used ##\theta## instead of ##\chi## for the angle you labeled as ##\chi##).

Arman777 said:
you never used the scale factor in your equations..?

No, because your question actually has nothing whatever to do with the scale factor. It's just about different coordinate charts that can be used on a spacelike 3-surface. The changing scale factor can simply multiply the entire metric of the spacelike 3-surface, exactly as you do in post #1 of this thread, without affecting the form of that metric at all.

PeterDonis said:
No. In your picture, we would just have ##\sigma = R \chi##. That's not the equation I used (go back and check--note I used ##\theta## instead of ##\chi## for the angle you labeled as ##\chi##).
No, because your question actually has nothing whatever to do with the scale factor. It's just about different coordinate charts that can be used on a spacelike 3-surface. The changing scale factor can simply multiply the entire metric of the spacelike 3-surface, exactly as you do in post #1 of this thread, without affecting the form of that metric at all.
I see it now but Its hard to picture the ##\sigma## then. It becomes some kind of a ratio.. ? ##\sigma = \rho / R##

1589285935160.png

PeterDonis said:
is the analogue of ##\chi## in the 3-sphere version,
If we were talking about 3-sphere the ##\chi## would be normal radial coordinate. Maybe if you could reccomend a book I can read about these things ?

Arman777 said:
It becomes some kind of a ratio.. ? \sigma=ρ/R

Yes, in other words, ##\sin \chi##, or, with my labeling of the angle (I called ##\theta## what you are calling ##\chi## in the picture), ##\sigma = \sin \theta##, the formula I wrote earlier.

Arman777 said:
If we were talking about 3-sphere the ##\chi## would be normal radial coordinate.

Yes, a radial angle. Which, if you're standing at the North Pole, point A in your picture, is exactly what ##\chi## is in your picture: the angle in the radial direction (the direction away from the North Pole, along a line of longitude), as opposed to the angle in the tangential direction (around a line of latitude). On a 3-sphere, you simply have two tangential angles instead of one.

Likes Arman777

1. What is the Comoving coordinate?

The Comoving coordinate is a coordinate system used in cosmology to describe the position and motion of objects in the universe. It takes into account the expansion of the universe, allowing for a more accurate measurement of distances and velocities.

2. How is the Comoving coordinate different from other coordinate systems?

The Comoving coordinate is unique in that it takes into account the expansion of the universe, while other coordinate systems, such as the Cartesian coordinate system, do not. This allows for a more accurate and consistent measurement of distances and velocities on a cosmological scale.

3. Why is the Comoving coordinate important in cosmology?

The Comoving coordinate is important in cosmology because it allows for a more accurate measurement of distances and velocities on a large scale. It also helps to account for the expansion of the universe, which is a crucial factor in understanding the evolution and structure of the universe.

4. How is the Comoving coordinate used in research and observations?

The Comoving coordinate is used in various research and observations in cosmology, such as mapping the large-scale structure of the universe, studying the expansion of the universe, and measuring the distance and velocity of galaxies and other objects. It is also used in simulations and models to better understand the evolution of the universe.

5. Can the Comoving coordinate be applied to all objects in the universe?

Yes, the Comoving coordinate can be applied to all objects in the universe, as it takes into account the expansion of the universe and allows for accurate measurements of distances and velocities on a cosmological scale. However, it is most commonly used for large-scale structures and objects, such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.