Positive definite matrix bounded below

In summary, to show that the quadratic polynomial Q(x) = \frac{1}{2}\langle{x, Ax\rangle} - \langle{b, x\rangle} is bounded below, we can find a constant m such that Q(x) \geq m for all x \in \mathbb{R}^n. This can be done by showing that Q(x) is equivalent to a parabola opening upward, and using the fact that A is positive definite and C^{-1} exists. By evaluating Q(x) in another way using the linearity of the inner product, we can show that Q(x) \geq 0 for all x \in \mathbb{R}^n.
Charles49

Homework Statement

Let [tex]A[/tex] be a positive definite [tex]n\times n[/tex] real matrix, [tex]b\in\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], and consider the quadratic polynomial [tex]Q(x)=\frac{1}{2}\langle{x, Ax\rangle}-\langle{b, x\rangle}[/tex]. Show that [tex]Q[/tex] is bounded below.

2. The attempt at a solution

I have to come up with a constant [tex]m[/tex] so that [tex]Q(x)\ge m[/tex] for all [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}^n.[/tex] I see that [tex]Q[/tex] looks a lot like a parabola. I know how to find the lower bound of a parabola opening upward but I don't know how to generalize this to quadratic forms.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, its supposed to be x.

Let C be such that [itex]C^2=A[/itex] (why does C exist?) and let [itex]c=C^{-1}b[/itex] (why is C invertible?).

Calculate

[tex]\frac{1}{2}<Cx-c,Cx-c>[/tex]

This is what I got but I don't know what it does

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\langle{Cx-C^{-1}b, Cx-C^{-1}b\rangle} = \frac{1}{2}||Cx-C^{-1}b||\\
=\frac{1}{2}||C^{-1}(Ax-b)||[/tex]

[tex]C[/tex] exists because A is positive definite. [tex]C^{-1}[\tex] exists because A has no zero eigenvalues.

Last edited:
Yes, so that shows that

[tex]<Cx-C^{-1}b,Cx-X^{-1}b>\geq 0[/tex]

Now try to evaluate this in another way... Use the linearity of the inproduct.

This suggestion helped a lot. Thanks.

1. What is a positive definite matrix bounded below?

A positive definite matrix bounded below is a square matrix where all of its eigenvalues are positive and there exists a lower bound for all possible values of the matrix. This means that all vectors in the matrix will have a positive length and will never approach zero.

2. What are the properties of a positive definite matrix bounded below?

A positive definite matrix bounded below has the following properties:

• All eigenvalues are positive.
  • The matrix is symmetric.
  • All leading principal minors are positive.
  • The matrix is invertible.

3. How is a positive definite matrix bounded below used in mathematics?

Positive definite matrices bounded below are used in various mathematical applications, including optimization problems, linear algebra, and statistics. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis.

4. How can you determine if a matrix is positive definite bounded below?

To determine if a matrix is positive definite bounded below, you can compute its eigenvalues. If all eigenvalues are positive and there exists a lower bound for all possible values of the matrix, then it is positive definite bounded below.

5. Can a matrix be positive definite bounded below if it is not symmetric?

No, a matrix cannot be positive definite bounded below if it is not symmetric. Symmetry is a necessary condition for a matrix to be positive definite bounded below, as it ensures that the matrix's eigenvalues are all real and positive.