Possibility of an integral system

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a system where the integral of a function is zero, the integral of the integral is also zero, but the integral of the function times its integral is greater than zero. The participants go through various examples and equations to try and find a solution, but ultimately conclude that such a system is impossible.
jaumzaum
I was solving a Physics problem, and for it to be consistent there should exist a function f(t) in real numbers and a time T, such that:
$$\int_{0}^{T} f(t) dt=0 $$
$$\int_{0}^{T} \int_{0}^{t} f(t') dt' dt=0$$
$$\int_{0}^{T} f(t) (\int_{0}^{t} f(t') dt') dt>0$$

i.e. the integral is zero, the integral of the integral is zero, but the integral of the function times its integral is greater than zero.

Is this system possible? I don't know why, but for me it doesn't seem so.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you could take a polynomial up to some degree with arbitrary coefficients, ##f(t)=a+bt+ct^2+\cdots##, and churn through your conditions to get constraints on the coefficients. I did spend some time playing with ##f(t)=\sin\left(\frac{2\pi t}{T}\right)##, but the last condition never works out, I always got zero.

Consider the step function f(x) such that f(x)=1 for x in [0,1], f(x)=-1 for x in (1, 1+a], f(x)=c for x in (1+a, 1+a+b] and f(x) = -1 for x in (1+a+b, 1+a+b+d], for constants a,b,c,d>0.

Draw a graph of the function and you'll see it makes an asymmetric M shape, with the centre of the M below the x axis.

WLOG set T=1+a+b+d, so we can leave T out of our calcs.

To get the integral equal to zero we do a simple calc and deduce we must have d = -(a-1) + bc. Call that equation (1).
Next, do a bit of geometry on the triangles that comprise the graph, to get an expression for the area between the M-shaped integral curve and the x axis, in terms of a, b and c, having eliminated d using equation (1).
Setting that equal to zero gives an equation that we label as equation (2).

You have two equations and three unknowns. Eliminate two of them, so as to express both a and b in terms of c.

Now write an expression for the integral of the function times its integral, in terms of a, b and c. Substitute the expressions you just got for a and b in terms of c to get an expression for that integral in terms of c. You should be able to find a value of c that makes that expression greater than zero. Choose any such value, and the curve f(x) with the derived values of parameters a, b, c, d is a curve that satisfies your requirements.

Thanks @Haborix and @andrewkirk
I think I found the solution.

If we call:
$$\int_{0}^{t} f(t) dt = F(t)$$

The first equation tells us that:
$$F(T)-F(0)=0$$

Also, if we say u=v=F(t) and use integration by parts in the last equation:
$$I=\int_{0}^{ T} uv' dt = F(T)^2 -F(0)^2 -I$$
$$I=1/2(F(T)^2-F(0)^2) = 0$$

So the system is impossible no matter what.

1. What is an integral system?

An integral system is a system in which all components are interconnected and work together to achieve a specific goal or function. This means that each individual part of the system is necessary for the system to function properly.

2. How is an integral system different from other systems?

An integral system differs from other systems in that it is highly interconnected and interdependent, meaning that each component relies on the others for the system to work effectively. In other systems, components may be able to function independently without affecting the overall system.

3. What are the advantages of an integral system?

The main advantage of an integral system is its efficiency. Because all components are interconnected and working together, there is less chance for errors or inefficiencies. Additionally, an integral system is often more adaptable and can better handle changes or challenges.

4. Can an integral system be applied to any field of study?

Yes, the concept of an integral system can be applied to any field of study, from natural sciences to social sciences. Any system that requires multiple components to work together can benefit from an integral approach.

5. How can an integral system be created and maintained?

To create and maintain an integral system, it is important to have a clear understanding of the system's purpose and how each component contributes to that purpose. Regular communication and collaboration between all components is also crucial to ensure the system remains integrated and efficient.