Possible for a particle to diffract around a barrier

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a particle diffracting around a barrier according to quantum theory and whether this can explain why someone may miss a tennis ball. It is concluded that this is not the case, as the objects involved are too large for quantum diffraction to be significant. The conversation also mentions the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and experimental tennis data, but notes that this may not be accepted by the establishment.
rictor
According to quantum theory it is possible for a particle to diffract around a barrier. Does this explain why I often seem to completely miss a tennis ball? Explain why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
rictor said:
Does this explain why I often seem to completely miss a tennis ball?

No. You and your tennis racket and the tennis ball are way too large for quantum diffraction to be significant.

By the way, you labeled this thread as "A", advanced. That indicates a graduate level understanding of the subject matter, which does not seem to reflect your actual understanding. I have re-labeled the thread level to "B".

rictor said:
According to quantum theory it is possible for a particle to diffract around a barrier. Does this explain why I often seem to completely miss a tennis ball? Explain why or why not?
As already stated this has nothing to do with QM :smile:. Tennis is pretty difficult, but fun. I think you have to train more. And observe the ball more accurately (sorry, I could not resist).

Its not a diffraction phenomena because there is no quantum tennis field.

it's about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. I have lots of experimental tennis data to prove it.

The establishment won't publish it tho.

1. Is it possible for a particle to diffract around a barrier?

Yes, it is possible for a particle to diffract around a barrier. This phenomenon is known as quantum tunneling, where particles can pass through barriers that they do not have enough energy to overcome.

2. How does quantum tunneling occur?

Quantum tunneling occurs due to the wave-particle duality of particles at the quantum level. Particles can behave as both waves and particles, allowing them to pass through barriers as a wave.

3. What factors affect the probability of quantum tunneling?

The probability of quantum tunneling is affected by the thickness and height of the barrier, as well as the energy of the particle. Higher energy particles have a higher probability of tunneling through a barrier.

4. What is the significance of quantum tunneling in the field of quantum mechanics?

Quantum tunneling is significant in quantum mechanics as it challenges the classical view of particles as solid objects. It also has practical applications in technologies such as scanning tunneling microscopy and tunnel diodes.

5. Can quantum tunneling be observed in everyday life?

No, quantum tunneling is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and cannot be observed in everyday life. However, its effects can be seen in certain technologies and experiments in the field of quantum mechanics.