Possible integration by parts?

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem involving integration by parts and differentiation of the log, but is not able to get further. He has a similar problem involving integrating with respect to β but this time is not able to find a solution. He thinks that the rewrite of the log might help, but does not know for sure.
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Integrate $$\int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1} \ln((r+1-w)/r)}{1+r(1+w)}$$ for ##\epsilon## not necessarily an integer but positive and r is negative (<-1). The argument of the log is positive.

Homework Equations

Integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I can only think of integration by parts, differentiating the log to bring back the rational but I wouldn't be able to integrate the remaining piece of the integrand. I suspect the result will be a hypergeometric function but I can't seem to get there. I had a similar integral with ##\ln (w)## instead and my prof suggested I write this as $$\ln w = \frac{d}{d\beta} w^{\beta}|_{\beta=0} = \frac{d}{d\beta} e^{\beta \ln w}|_{\beta=0}$$ but I am not sure why this helps.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
CAF123 said:
but I am not sure why this helps
Did you test it?
It gets rid of the logarithm. You have to integrate with respect to β later, but usually this is an easy integral.

Hi mfb,
mfb said:
Did you test it?
It gets rid of the logarithm. You have to integrate with respect to β later, but usually this is an easy integral.
The integral was $$\int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1}}{(1+w)(1+r(1+w))} \ln w = \int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1}}{(1+w)(1+r(1+w))} \frac{d}{d \beta} w^{\beta}|_{\beta=0}$$ Since there is only one instance of a beta dependence I can write $$\frac{d}{d \beta}|_{\beta=0} \int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1+\beta}}{(1+w)(1+r(1+w))}$$ This is where I didn't see how the rewriting of the log helped. The integrand nearly has a hypergeometric structure but, even if I identified it as a hypergeometric, I still have a derivative wrt beta outside. I could proceed with integration by parts more easily now, but the integral I get from doing so is again just as complicated so I would hit a dead end again. Any thoughts?

The first integral in the first post was different than the one in your second post. Which one is right?

mfb said:
The first integral in the first post was different than the one in your second post. Which one is right?
There are two integrals I am trying to solve: $$\int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1}}{1+r(1+w)} \ln\left(\frac{r+1-w}{r}\right),$$ (as in the OP) and $$\int_0^1 dw \frac{w^{\epsilon+1}}{(w+1)(1+r(w+1))} \ln w$$ It was for this latter integral that my prof suggested I use the rewriting of the log but, while I see that it leaves us with just rational factors, I don't see why it leads to a solution of the integral and if such a rewriting is of help for the integral I posted in the OP. Thanks!

Hmm...
Feynman parametrization? I don't know, it is just an idea that might work. The trick to substitute the log is similar.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate the integral of a product of two functions. It is based on the product rule for derivatives and can be used to simplify complex integrals.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integrand is a product of two functions, one of which is easier to integrate than the other. It can also be used to solve integrals that involve logarithmic, trigonometric, or inverse trigonometric functions.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are the two functions in the product and du and dv are their respective differentials.

4. How do I choose which function to use as u and which to use as dv?

When choosing which function to use as u and which to use as dv, it is helpful to remember the acronym "LIATE". This stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential. The function that comes first in this list should be chosen as u.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include not properly identifying u and dv, not applying the formula correctly, and forgetting to include the constant of integration in the final answer.