Volume of 4-ball by Cavalieri's principle?

In summary, Cavalieri's principle states that the volume of a sphere is proportional to the surface area of the sphere.
yucheng
Homework Statement
Find the volume of a 4-space ball, with radius R.
(Alternatively you can integrate this via Cavalieri’s principle, by using the fact that the crosssectional volume is given by ##\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3##
, the volume of a 3-ball)
See example at end of page 1 of https://www.math.ucla.edu/~bonsoon/math32bh.winter2020/notes/short_notes_-_More_on_Change_of_variables_formula.pdf
Relevant Equations
N/A
I tried integrating the 4-volume of a 4-hemisphere, that is, $$\int^{R}_{0} \frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 dw$$ (along w-axis), since ##r## is proportional to ##w##, where ##r=\frac{w}{R} R##, ##r=w##, thus the integral becomes $$\int^{R}_{0} \frac{4}{3} \pi w^3 dw = \frac{\pi}{3} R^4$$ The volume of a 4-D hypersphere is ##\frac{2\pi}{3} R^4##

Clearly, something is not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Are you sure you use the correct formula? I do not see this, neither on what you linked to, nor on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-sphere#Spherical_volume_and_area_elements
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphäre_(Mathematik)#Inhalt_und_Volumen

Do you have a description of Cavalieri's principle? It is not explained in your paper.

I don't know the correct formula. I just tried integrating :))) and it failed :\

Cavalieri's principle

Just to confirm, a hypersphere has something called a 'radius' right? What I essentially tried was to use the cross sectional volume, integrate across a hemisphere, and see where it goes...

I thought I could do it analogous to integrating the disks in a sphere.

On the top of page 2, it my link in the homework statement states that you can get the volume equation by using Cavalieri's principle. I just took it as a challenge.

@fresh_42 I realized I could not even calculate the volume of the 3-ball with my argument. Looks like it must have been wrong!

fresh_42 said:
the German version has a closed formula
Do you always look at German versions?

yucheng said:
Do you always look at German versions?
I look at all versions I can read a bit. English and German are those with the most pages. But I also look at Spanish, French or Italian if I see a chance to find a better version, mostly a better formula. Formulas can be read in any language, hence I do not care the explanations very much and just look at the math.

I made the experience that the English version is often more theoretical and abstract, whereas the German version tends to provide good formulas and specific examples. I also use Wikipedia for translations: technical terms (search the word you know in your native language and then switch to English) as well as for the correct spelling of names (Ångström, de L'Hôpital, Gauß etc.).

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, docnet and yucheng
I think if you try to repeat this for calculating the area of a circle you will find your mistake. You don't have the right radius of the 3-ball as a function of where you are in the 4-ball.

• Informative
  • Skeptical
Likes yucheng and Keith_McClary
Office_Shredder said:
I think if you try to repeat this for calculating the area of a circle you will find your mistake. You don't have the right radius of the 3-ball as a function of where you are in the 4-ball.

let me try, ##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}##, ##y=\sqrt{r^2-x^2}##,

\begin{align*}
\int \frac{4}{3} \pi y^3 dx &= \frac{4}{3} \pi \int^{r}_{-r} (r^2-x^2)^{3/2} dx\\
&= (\frac{4}{3} \pi)(\frac{3}{8} \pi r^4) \\
&= \frac{1}{2} \pi^2 r^4
\end{align*}

Somehow, I spent a lot of time wondering whether this is the correct integral, when I could have just plugged it into Mathematica to check :-\

Anyway, thanks!

1. What is Cavalieri's principle?

Cavalieri's principle is a geometric principle that states that if two three-dimensional figures have the same cross-sectional area at every level, then they have the same volume.

2. How is Cavalieri's principle used to calculate the volume of a 4-ball?

Cavalieri's principle can be used to calculate the volume of a 4-ball by breaking it down into a series of cross-sections. By finding the area of each cross-section and adding them together, the volume of the 4-ball can be determined.

3. What is a 4-ball?

A 4-ball, also known as a four-dimensional ball, is a four-dimensional shape that is bounded by a three-dimensional sphere. It is a theoretical shape that cannot be visualized in our three-dimensional world.

4. Can Cavalieri's principle be applied to other shapes besides the 4-ball?

Yes, Cavalieri's principle can be applied to any two three-dimensional figures that have the same cross-sectional area at every level. It is a useful tool in calculating the volume of irregular shapes.

5. What are the limitations of using Cavalieri's principle to calculate the volume of a 4-ball?

One limitation is that it can be difficult to accurately calculate the cross-sectional area at every level, especially for complex shapes. Additionally, Cavalieri's principle only works for shapes that have the same cross-sectional area, so it cannot be applied to all shapes.