Potato Battery: Exploring the Nutritional Impact of Using Food as a Power Source

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of using a potato as a battery by inserting two different metal pins and connecting it to a load. It is mentioned that this could result in the presence of copper and nickel salts in the potato, which may not be appetizing. The addition of trace element metals to foods can also cause problems and can be especially harmful if the food is acidic. It is also noted that most people already consume more than enough copper through their diet. The use of unlined copper cookware in cooking can also lead to the leaching of copper into food, causing potential long-term health consequences. The conversation also touches on the idea of living to eat vs. eating to live.
Frenemy90210
If a potato ( or any other food, for that matter) is used as a battery by say, simply inserting two different metal pins in it and connecting it to a load, then does it reduce the nutritional value of potato ? or does it affect the potato negatively in any way ?

Biology news on Phys.org
If you connected say a copper and nickel rod into a potato and then allowed a current to pass, I would certainly expect to find copper and nickel salts in the potato.
I wouldn't find that especially appetizing.
It you used lead, that would be much worse.

Likes SciencewithDrJ and Merlin3189
Frenemy90210 said:
Does it affect the potato negatively in any way

As @.Scott said they wouldn't make for the best dinner after putting metals in them. Then again it would depend how long metals would be in the said food. I know that if you would stick copper into fruit with low pH like lemons, you're asking for trouble.

More generally, the addition of trace element metals to foods can cause problems. Median copper intake in the US 1. - 1.6mg/day. The RDA for Cu is 900μg (0.9mg). Which means most of us already get more than enough copper.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK222312/

If you cook with copper pots or prepare acidic foods or serve them in copper, copper leaches into food. Way more than is required.
Long term consequences are nasty.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_toxicity

Zinc and other trace element metals have similar issues when ingested at high levels, not to mention non-required elements like lead.

Likes SciencewithDrJ
jim mcnamara said:
f you cook with copper pots or prepare acidic foods or serve them in copper, copper leaches into food.

Most copper cookware is lined with something less reactive to prevent this.

And it wouldn't be a potato battery thread without saying "The cake is a lie!"

Likes jim mcnamara
Lining, yes. Not always. FWIW: You can legally buy "decorative" copper mixing bowls that are not lined. At all.
This is an interesting item talking partially about using unlined copper in cooking: http://www.highya.com/articles-guides/copper-cookware-how-to-use-cook-and-care-for-copper-pots-and-pans. I did not know that you need to "season" lined copper cookware.

jim mcnamara said:
Lining, yes. Not always. FWIW: You can legally buy "decorative" copper mixing bowls that are not lined. At all.
This is an interesting item talking partially about using unlined copper in cooking: http://www.highya.com/articles-guides/copper-cookware-how-to-use-cook-and-care-for-copper-pots-and-pans. I did not know that you need to "season" lined copper cookware.
I've got some more related info here - https://nutrisbook.com/zyalix/

Would the electricity alone affect the potato?

jim mcnamara said:

These people seem to be living in order to eat... I prefer the opposite.

1. How does a potato battery work?

A potato battery works by utilizing the chemical energy stored in the potato to create an electrical current. The potato acts as an electrolyte, allowing ions to flow between two metal electrodes, creating a circuit and producing electricity.

2. What materials are needed to make a potato battery?

To make a potato battery, you will need a potato, two different types of metal electrodes (such as copper and zinc), wires, and a small LED light bulb. Optional materials include a voltmeter to measure the voltage produced and alligator clips to connect the wires to the electrodes.

3. How does using food as a power source impact the nutritional value of the food?

Using food as a power source, such as a potato battery, does not significantly impact the nutritional value of the food. The amount of energy extracted from the food is minimal and does not affect its overall nutritional content. However, it is important to use fresh and unspoiled food to ensure safety and hygiene.

4. Can other foods besides potatoes be used to make a battery?

Yes, many other foods can be used to make a battery, including fruits like lemons and oranges, vegetables like tomatoes and onions, and even drinks like soda and sports drinks. However, not all foods will work equally well, as the acidity and moisture content of the food play a role in its ability to generate electricity.

5. Are potato batteries a sustainable and efficient source of energy?

Potato batteries are not a sustainable or efficient source of energy. While they can produce a small amount of electricity, it is not enough to power any significant devices. Additionally, the materials used in a potato battery, such as metals and wires, are not environmentally friendly and would need to be replaced frequently.