Potential difference between two points on a circuit

In summary, the given circuit is a Wheatstone bridge with a supply of 3 volts and each resistor having a resistance of 2 ohms. The potential difference between point B and point D is 0 volts. This can be determined by using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to find the currents in the circuit.
terryds

Homework Statement

n76vt.png

The circuit is shown as above.
If ε = 3 volt and each resistor has 2 ohm resistance, then what's the potential difference between point B and point D ?

A. 4
B. 3
C. 2
D. 1
E. 0

Homework Equations

V = I R
R series = R1 + R2 + ..
1/ R parallel = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The circuit is very weird. I don't even know how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with Kirchhoff's laws?

cnh1995 said:
Are you familiar with Kirchhoff's laws?

Yes, of course.. KVL and KCL..
Okay, I'll use KVL for the two triangles

Triangle ADC

4IR = ε
I = ε/4R = 3/8 ampere

The current in triangle ABC also 3/8 ampere, right ? (The resistance are equal also the emf)

But, what's the potential difference between point B and D?

Assume current through diagonal AC as i and current through ABC as i1. So, current through ADC is i-i1. Using these currents, write KVL and you'll get values for i and i1.
Actually, this problem can be solved by observation only, using the symmetry of the circuit.

Likes Samy_A
cnh1995 said:
Assume current through diagonal AC as i and current through ABC as i1. So, current through ADC is i-i1. Using these currents, write KVL and you'll get values for i and i1.

##Triangle\ ABC \\
2I_1R+2IR - \varepsilon = 0 \\
4I_1 + 4I = 3\\
Triangle\ ADC \\
2((I-I_1)R) + 2IR - \varepsilon = 0 \\
4IR-2I_1R = 3 \\
8I - 4I_1 = 3 \\##

Solving the equation, I get i = 0.5 A, and i1 = 0.25 A, and it means that i2 = 0.25 A
How to determine the potential difference between B and D ??

cnh1995 said:
Actually, this problem can be solved by observation only, using yhe symmetry of the circuit.

Yeah, I also see that it's kinda like the Wheatstone bridge, isn't it ??
But, eventually, the current through diagonal AC is not zero (not as I thought it would be in Wheatstone bridge)..
Please help me

terryds said:
Solving the equation, I get i = 0.5 A, and i1 = 0.25 A, and it means that i2 = 0.25 A
Good!
terryds said:
How to determine the potential difference between B and D ??
Let's say point A is at a potential Va and point B is at potential Vb. Voltage drop across the resistor between A and B is Va-Vb. What is the value of this voltage drop? You know the currents now.

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
Good!

Let's say point A is at a potential Va. You know the currents now. What is the potential of point B in terms of Va and known current and resistor values? (Hint:Ohm's law).

Vb = 3 - 0.5 * 2 - 0.25 * 2 = 1.5 V
Vd = 3 - 0.5 * 2 - 0.25 *2 = 1.5 V
The potential difference is zero, right ?

Anyway, is this circuit a Wheatstone bridge?

terryds said:
The potential difference is zero, right ?
Right.
terryds said:
Anyway, is this circuit a Wheatstone bridge?
Yes. Supply is connected between A and C and output is taken between B and D.

Likes terryds

What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in a circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is responsible for the flow of electrical current.

How is potential difference calculated?

Potential difference can be calculated by dividing the energy transferred by the charge that is moved. In other words, it is equal to the work done per unit charge.

What factors affect potential difference in a circuit?

The two main factors that affect potential difference in a circuit are the resistance and the current. An increase in resistance leads to a decrease in potential difference, while an increase in current leads to an increase in potential difference.

Why is potential difference important in a circuit?

Potential difference is important in a circuit because it is what drives the flow of electrical current. It is also used to determine the direction of current flow and the amount of energy transferred in a circuit.

How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is typically measured using a voltmeter, which is connected in parallel to the circuit. The reading on the voltmeter indicates the potential difference between the two points in the circuit.