Potential divider to adjust volume and sensors

In summary, a potential divider is a circuit that uses resistors to divide a voltage. This can be used in adjusting volume and sensors by changing the resistance to change the output voltage. Diagrams can be helpful in understanding the concept. After reading and understanding the theory of operation, additional research can be done to clarify any confusion.
Gajan1234
Can someone explain in depth ( in simple term) how potential divider is link to adjusting volume and sensors. Please share any digram if it ia helpful for me.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gajan1234 said:
Can someone explain in depth ( in simple term) how potential divider is link to adjusting volume and sensors. Please share any digram if it ia helpful for me.

Thank you
Can you show us what you have been reading about this so far? What parts are confusing you? It will make it a lot easier for us to help you if you show us what you have been reading... :smile:

berkeman said:
Can you show us what you have been reading about this so far? What parts are confusing you? It will make it a lot easier for us to help you if you show us what you have been reading... :smile:
1458339355944.jpg

I understand what the book says but i cannot imagine it and construct a circuit with potenial divider, and the uses of it as well. and i don't want to learn it as fact.

Gajan1234 said:
View attachment 97536

I understand what the book says but i cannot imagine it and construct a circuit with potenial divider, and the uses of it as well. and i don't want to learn it as fact.
Well that's your problem! It's all sideways! :woot:

And with no diagrams. What diagrams have you been using to learn about resistor dividers and potentiometers and their uses?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

After reading everything in the above link, especially the theory of operation, try searching for answers to any questions.
Then, if you still have questions, post them here.

What is a potential divider?

A potential divider is an electrical circuit that divides a voltage into smaller parts. It consists of two or more resistors in series, with the output voltage being taken from the point between the resistors.

How does a potential divider work to adjust volume?

A potential divider is used in audio circuits to adjust the volume by dividing the input voltage from the source. By varying the resistance of one of the resistors, the output voltage can be changed, thus adjusting the volume.

What type of resistors are commonly used in a potential divider?

Carbon film or metal film resistors are commonly used in a potential divider as they have a low temperature coefficient, providing more stable voltage outputs.

Can a potential divider be used for sensors other than audio volume control?

Yes, potential dividers are commonly used in sensors to convert changing resistance or voltage into a measurable output. For example, in a light sensor, the resistance of a photoresistor can be used in a potential divider to convert light intensity into an output voltage.

What are the limitations of using a potential divider for volume adjustment and sensors?

The main limitation of using a potential divider is that it can only provide a limited range of output voltages. Also, the output voltage can be affected by changes in the input voltage, temperature, and tolerance of the resistors used. Additionally, potential dividers can only work for sensors that have a linear relationship between the input and output. Non-linear sensors may require more complex circuits for accurate measurement.