Potential in a double vertical spring-mass system

In summary, In order to find the eigenfrequencies of a vertical spring-mass-spring-mass system, you must use the potential energy V and the kinetic energy T in matrix form. The spring potential energy is ##\frac{1}{2}ky_1^2+\frac{1}{2}ky_2^2##, but the gravitational potential energy must always be greater than that of the lower body. You can then write expressions for the potential energies in terms of y and l.
Ffop

Homework Statement

I want to find an expression for the eigenfrequencies of a vertical spring-mass-spring-mass system by using the potential energy V and kinetic energy T in matrixform. Both springs have the springconstants k, and both masses are m. The springs unstretched length are l.

I have chosen y_1 to represent the displacement from equilibrium of mass 1 (upper mass) and y_2 the displacement for equilibrium of mass 2 (lower mass). I have also chosen the positive y-direction to be towards the ceiling.

My skills in mechanics is a bit rusty and i need help to find an expression for the potential energy V, i think i can do the rest from there.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at writing an expression for V is

V = mg(y_1 + y_2) + k/2(y_1)^2 + k/2(y_2 - y_1)^2

The y_2 - y_1 is there because when the upper mass is displaced downwards this will compress the lower string.

I do realize i need to have something about the equlibrium for the system in V, but I am not sure how.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks ok, provided you are giving g negative value.
I didn't understand you here:
Ffop said:
i need to have something about the equilibrium for the system in V

Ffop said:

Homework Statement

I want to find an expression for the eigenfrequencies of a vertical spring-mass-spring-mass system by using the potential energy V and kinetic energy T in matrixform. Both springs have the springconstants k, and both masses are m. The springs unstretched length are l.

I have chosen y_1 to represent the displacement from equilibrium of mass 1 (upper mass) and y_2 the displacement for equilibrium of mass 2 (lower mass). I have also chosen the positive y-direction to be towards the ceiling.

If you do it this way the spring potential energy will be ##\frac{1}{2}ky_1^2+\frac{1}{2}ky_2^2##.

But then the gravitational potential energy will not be ##mg(y_1+y_2)##.

Best to make a drawing, I think, and define y to be the height above some point of your choosing. Note that the gravitational potential energy of the upper body must always be greater than that of the lower body, something your current expression does not accomplish. Then you can write expressions for the potential energies in terms of y and l.

Mister T said:
If you do it this way the spring potential energy will be ##\frac{1}{2}ky_1^2+\frac{1}{2}ky_2^2##.

But then the gravitational potential energy will not be ##mg(y_1+y_2)##.
I believe Ffop is defining y2 as m2's displacement from its position when the whole system is at equilibrium.

haruspex said:
I believe Ffop is defining y2 as m2's displacement from its position when the whole system is at equilibrium.

This is exactly what i mean. I think i will take a closer look at the potential gravitational energy term i suppose. Still not sure how a quadratic term will arise from the gravitational potential (for matrix form).

Thank you all for the answers anyway.

Ffop said:
This is exactly what i mean. I think i will take a closer look at the potential gravitational energy term i suppose. Still not sure how a quadratic term will arise from the gravitational potential (for matrix form).
or, have a linear term arise from the matrix form, maybe by making the vector (y1, y2, 1)?

Related to Potential in a double vertical spring-mass system

1. What is a double vertical spring-mass system?

A double vertical spring-mass system is a physical system consisting of two masses connected by a vertical spring on either side. The system is commonly used in physics experiments to demonstrate harmonic motion and oscillations.

2. How is potential energy related to a double vertical spring-mass system?

In a double vertical spring-mass system, the potential energy is stored in the springs due to their ability to stretch or compress. As the masses move up and down, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and back again, resulting in oscillatory motion.

3. What factors affect the potential energy in a double vertical spring-mass system?

The potential energy in a double vertical spring-mass system is affected by the stiffness of the springs, the masses of the objects, and the distance between the masses and the equilibrium position. Additionally, the gravitational potential energy of the masses can also contribute to the overall potential energy of the system.

4. How is the potential energy calculated in a double vertical spring-mass system?

The potential energy in a double vertical spring-mass system can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2kx^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This formula assumes that the system is in a state of stable equilibrium and the potential energy is at its minimum.

5. Can the potential energy in a double vertical spring-mass system be changed?

Yes, the potential energy in a double vertical spring-mass system can be changed by altering the factors that affect it, such as changing the masses or the stiffness of the springs. Additionally, the potential energy can also be changed by applying an external force to the system, such as by pulling or pushing on one of the masses.