POTUS Election 2016- a Fresh Start

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, Evan McMullin, an independent candidate, is holding an event in Boise. If he takes several states, he could be a contender in the election.
Evo said:
it has been decided that this thread and any other thread related to the election old or new will be closed immediately after the winner is announced on election day.
What if we have 2000 all over again? :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:
What if we have 2000 all over again? :eek:
No, no, no, no, no.

Likes phinds, collinsmark, Tsu and 1 other person
Final day of endless political TV ads and the nightmare is almost over. It's very fitting that today is garbage pickup day on my street. ?:)

Likes phinds, Tsu, Evo and 7 others
Borg said:
It's very fitting that today is garbage pickup day on my street. ?:)
Mine also.

Just found on FB/CNN - Is this a rebus?

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/14925815_1157401724349264_7595349455864052631_n.jpg?oh=4435b733026d45ca80970dd0100eb264&oe=58923467

After I vote, I'll need a drink. :smile:

AlcoholVoterIndex.jpg

Likes Kevin McHugh
Putting the two 'personalities' aside for a moment, I am so concerned for this country.

The Democratic campaign has been shown to be so dangerously crooked, I fear that if the gain the Whit House it threatens democracy in the US.

We know they have rigged elections (the Dem primary). The DNC chair (Debbie Wasserman Schulz) was fired for it (helping HRC campaign over Sanders), no denials there.

Wikileaks showed (in a verified email), that Donna Brazille (DWS replacement at the DNC) got some questions for the debates, and forwarded them to the HRC campaign. Brazille didn't actually deny it, she talked about knowing what it's like to be persecuted (not an answer), and that the emails 'could be fake'. Well, they could be, but they were verified by the digital key, and certainly Brazille knows if she wrote them or not. So if they were fake, why didn't she just say so, rather than 'they could be doctored'?

And we found that The New York Times (the 'paper of record') sent articles to the HRC campaign for prior approval and editing. So now we have a party 'in bed' with the press. That scares me. It scares me a LOT.

And a high level Dem operative (Robert Creamer - husband of a congresswoman) who has visited the White House and Obama many times, was found to have been paying people to create violence at Trump rallies. That could have been the cause for shutting gown Trumps rally in Chicago. That got him fired, so again, no real denial.

I just want democracy restored, and I fear it is slipping away, quickly. It's depressing.

Likes fresh_42
Reminder that after the winner is officially announced this thread will be closed.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Reminder that after the winner is officially announced this thread will be closed.

Thank god!

I voted almost 2 weeks ago already, and I can't wait for this thing to be over!

Zz.

Likes Borg
NTL2009 said:
I just want democracy restored, and I fear it is slipping away, quickly. It's depressing.

It's the "Anything goes" mindset. Honesty and humility used to be virtues.

Likes Kevin McHugh, 1oldman2 and fresh_42
The first results are out.
New Hampshire midnight results
In Dixville Notch, Hillary Clinton beat Donald Trump 4-2. Libertarian Gary Johnson received one vote, and the 2012 Republican candidate, Mitt Romney received a surprise write-in ballot. In the slightly larger burg of Hart's Location, Clinton won with 17 votes to Trump's 14. Johnson got three votes, while write-ins Bernie Sanders and John Kasich each got one. And in Millsfield, Trump won decisively, 16-4, with one write-in for Bernie Sanders.

So, in the three New Hampshire towns with midnight voting, Trump came out ahead 32-25.

Borg said:
The first results are out.
New Hampshire midnight results
One clear limitation in the pre-election polling is that they don't include write-ins, and in this election, that could account for a significant number of votes.

Likes mheslep and Borg
russ_watters said:
One clear limitation in the pre-election polling is that they don't include write-ins, and in this election, that could account for a significant number of votes.
I wouldn't be too surprised if Bernie Sanders get more votes than some of the other parties candidates. I had to laugh at the Mitt Romney write-in though.

Borg said:
I wouldn't be too surprised if Bernie Sanders get more votes than some of the other parties candidates. I had to laugh at the Mitt Romney write-in though.
John Kasich wrote in John McCain, which I thought was really clever.

Likes Borg
russ_watters said:
John Kasich wrote in John McCain, which I thought was really clever.

I actually thought that John Kasich might have written in his own name (given that he ran for the Republican presidential nomination).

Which leaves me to the question -- can a voter write in his/her own name on the ballot?

StatGuy2000 said:
I actually thought that John Kasich might have written in his own name (given that he ran for the Republican presidential nomination).

Which leaves me to the question -- can a voter write in his/her own name on the ballot?
You can write in anyone including yourself. I liked John Kasich's move because it was equivalent to voting for himself, but without the ego/sore loser implications.

Borg said:

Not sure why, but county officials have placed my nearest ballot drop box only 400 feet away from my nearest liquor store.
Coincidence?

Likes CalcNerd
OmCheeto said:
Not sure why, but county officials have placed my nearest ballot drop box only 400 feet away from my nearest liquor store.
Coincidence?
Conspiracy. :oldwink:

Likes OmCheeto
Borg said:
Final day of endless political TV ads and the nightmare is almost over. It's very fitting that today is garbage pickup day on my street. ?:)

Mine too, what is the pattern? I don't believe in coincidence.

Borg said:
Conspiracy. :oldwink:

I think it was Roosevelt who said "There are no coincidences in politics. If it happened, it was planned that way." I may have paraphrased it slightly, but the intent is unchanged.

Borg said:

View attachment 108636

For some weird reason, I decided to go on the wagon for a week. This will be my first sober election returns since I can remember. :biggrin:

ZapperZ said:
Thank god!

I voted almost 2 weeks ago already, and I can't wait for this thing to be over!

Zz.
I haven't even opened my mail-in ballot yet, and the liquor store doesn't open for another hour... :oldgrumpy:

I've been waiting to vote, as there's a measure on our ballot that is quite divisive, much like the this presidential thing, and I've been soliciting comments on Facebook, as to why I should change my vote. I've actually been researching the measure since March. ("Hey peeps! What am I missing here?)

So far, no one has changed my mind.
Lots of nasty, and obviously drunken comments though. I received the following yesterday:

Ompposition; "Your posting yes says you are conflicted. ..."
Om; "Ummm... As I've stated previously, I'm voting no. Please pay attention."

Scary part is, is that he's a successful practicing lawyer.
On the other hand, if the lawyers are getting drunk, worrying about this election, maybe it's a good thing. :oldbiggrin:

Likes Bystander
Kevin McHugh said:
For some weird reason, I decided to go on the wagon for a week. This will be my first sober election returns since I can remember. :biggrin:
Sorry to hear that. I would think that this election is driving people to drink for the first time.

Borg said:
Sorry to hear that. I would think that this election is driving people to drink for the first time.
Don't even get me started, on the "Carter vs Reagan" thing. The first time I was eligible to vote...

Ok, you did.

Carter: Nuclear Engineer [Cool! I'm a nuclear technician, and Rickover is my hero! That freak was calling it 60 years in advance!]
Reagan: Hollywood actor [really?]

Carter: Put solar panels on the White House
Reagan: Took them down

Carter: Left his career to take care of his family.
Reagan:

james.garner.on.ronald.reagan.jpg

And that's, when I started drinking... (hic!)

Likes collinsmark, 1oldman2 and fresh_42
Well I've voted and am accepting it's almost done. Market is going up smartly so Hillary will probably win.

I'm trying to be reflective and stay out of the hysteria.

“O, wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion.”
Robert Burns

Been chatting with a friend from Europe who observes
The general opinion about the USA is that they are too aggressive and want to command everyone. ... It's usually negative. Like "the US think they are the best in the world but they are terrorists, they should care about themselves and let others be etc" .
My generation (early Boomers , I'm same age as Trump and a year older than Hillary) was raised on teachings that US is morally superior and can do no wrong. I think that has led to narcissism in our foreign dealings . We've had our comeuppances , Vietnam being the first one I'm old enough to remember and halfway understand what happened.
I'm not sure we were the good guys there or in Serbia and Kosovo,
or the mideast in recent years. Despite the mantra of "American Exceptionalism" in speeches and CFR papers.

As i said to another friend here on PF:
"I'm still rooting for originalists to Supreme Court and cooperation with Putin.
However, I welcome tomorrow either way
so i can either just accept it didn't go my way,
or sigh with relief we won't put our warplanes over Syria to test that fancy new Russian missile system .

I only hope the vote is decisive enough to rule out shenanigans with Electoral College . Its stated purpose is to prevent 'mischief'. "

So i await the morning, with a feeling of calm that's the first one in weeks.
It's time to heal.

old jim

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto and 1oldman2
Likes OmCheeto