Powder diffractogram of copper

This will give you the expected positions of the first five maxima on the powder diffractogram for copper. In summary, the first five intensity maxima for copper can be found using the Bragg equation by calculating the distances and angles for each maxima.
Lindsayyyy
Hi everyone

Homework Statement

I want to make a powder diffractogram of copper. Where do I expect the first five intensity maximums when the used wavelength is lambda=0,711 *10^-10 m

Homework Equations

Bragg equation
2d sin(omega)=m*lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

I think coppers structure is fcc but I have a problem finding my distance between the lattice planes because I don't know on which planes the scattering will take place.

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
!The first five intensity maxima for copper can be found using the Bragg equation. The Bragg equation states that 2d sin(omega)=m*lambda, where d is the distance between lattice planes, omega is the angle between the incident and reflected beam, m is the order of reflection, and lambda is the wavelength. Using this equation, you can calculate the angles and distances for the first five maxima. For example, for the first maxima, m=1 and d=0.711*10^-10/2sin(omega). Once you have the distances, you can use them to calculate the angles of incidence and reflection for each maxima.

1. What is a powder diffractogram of copper?

A powder diffractogram of copper is a graphical representation of the diffraction pattern produced when a beam of X-rays is directed at a sample of powdered copper. It shows the intensity of diffracted X-rays at different angles, which can be used to identify the crystal structure of the copper sample.

2. How is a powder diffractogram of copper obtained?

A powder diffractogram of copper is obtained by directing a beam of X-rays at a powdered sample of copper and measuring the intensity of the diffracted X-rays at different angles. This data is then plotted on a graph to create the diffractogram.

3. What information can be obtained from a powder diffractogram of copper?

A powder diffractogram of copper can provide information about the crystal structure, lattice parameters, and orientation of the copper sample. It can also be used to identify impurities or defects in the crystal structure.

4. What are the applications of a powder diffractogram of copper?

A powder diffractogram of copper is commonly used in materials science and metallurgy to analyze the properties of copper samples. It is also used in the identification and characterization of minerals, pharmaceuticals, and other substances that contain copper.

5. How is a powder diffractogram of copper different from a single crystal diffractogram?

A powder diffractogram of copper shows the diffraction pattern produced by a large number of randomly oriented copper crystals, while a single crystal diffractogram shows the diffraction pattern of a single, well-oriented crystal. Additionally, a powder diffractogram covers a wider range of diffraction angles, providing more information about the crystal structure, while a single crystal diffractogram provides more accurate data about the lattice parameters and orientation of the crystal.