Power dissipation of 2 diodes (1 is a Zener diode)

In summary, the Zener diode is not conducting because it requires 5.6 volts and sicillium-oxide one always does. To determine whether the Zener diode is conducting, check that the voltage on the diode is 5.6 volts and if it is not, calculate the currents and node voltages.
Edy56
Homework Statement
The circuit in Figure 4 uses two diodes, D1 and D2. Write which diodes are in question. Determine the value of the power dissipated on diode D1. It is known: R1= 330 Ω, R2= 1 kΩ, V1= 9 V, VZ= 5, 6 V
Relevant Equations
None
Are my equations correct? And my process of how I should solved this problem?
IMG_20230606_110811.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you checked whether the zener diode is conducting?

Gordianus said:
Have you checked whether the zener diode is conducting?
Zener Is because it requires 5.6 volts and sicillium one always does.

Thus, if you feel confident, compute the currents and node voltages.

Edy56 said:
Zener Is because it requires 5.6 volts and sicillium one always does.
5v6 is the Zener breakdown voltage only for that 5v6 Zener diode, which is not always the operating voltage. It could be less.
The resistors R1 and R2, with D2, form a potential divider. It is possible that the Zener diode, D1, has a voltage below 5.6 volts, and so does not conduct. Check that first.

Once you have determined the actual voltage on D1, you can solve for the current and power in D2.

Solve for the current through R1, subtract the current that flows through R2 and D2. What current remains flows through D1.

Likes scottdave
It's hard to read your handwriting. Is ##V_1 = 5V## or is ##V_1 = gV##?

From the sketch above it looks to me like the Zener is reverse biased so the voltage after the R1 is constant 5.6V. And so you may calculate I.
Subtract 0.7 volts - the voltage drop constant across D2 - from 5.6 V and then calculate I2

berkeman said:
It's hard to read your handwriting. Is ##V_1 = 5V## or is ##V_1 = gV##?
I'd guess it's ##V_1 = 9~\rm V##.

Edy56 said:
Are my equations correct? And my process of how I should solved this problem?
I'd say no. You've written things like ##V_1 = R_1## and ##V_2=5.6~\rm V## and ##V_2=0.7~\rm V## (hence implying 5.6=0.7!). Plus you don't appear to indicate exactly what you mean by ##V_2## as far as I can see.

ETA: Oh, I see! Some of those 2s are actually Zs. There's a reason we ask you to type up your work. Your handwriting isn't as easy to read as you might think. :smile:

It would be more helpful if you explain your thought process behind your work instead of spewing a bunch of equations and asking "are they right?" That way the helpers can see where you're getting stuck and possibly help you identify what you're unsure about.

Likes berkeman

1. What is power dissipation?

Power dissipation is the amount of power that is lost or dissipated as heat in a circuit component, such as a diode. It is measured in watts and can be calculated by multiplying the voltage across the component by the current flowing through it.

2. How does power dissipation affect diodes?

Power dissipation can cause diodes to overheat and potentially fail if the dissipated power exceeds their maximum rated power. This is especially important for Zener diodes, as they are designed to operate at a specific voltage and current and can be damaged if these limits are exceeded.

3. What factors affect the power dissipation of diodes?

The power dissipation of diodes is affected by their forward voltage, current rating, and ambient temperature. Higher forward voltages and currents result in higher power dissipation, while higher ambient temperatures can decrease a diode's power handling capability.

4. How can power dissipation be managed in diodes?

To manage power dissipation in diodes, it is important to choose diodes with appropriate voltage and current ratings for the circuit, as well as ensuring proper thermal management. This can include using heat sinks or limiting the current through the diode.

5. What are the consequences of exceeding the power dissipation limits of diodes?

If the power dissipation limits of diodes are exceeded, it can lead to overheating and potentially permanent damage to the diode. This can result in decreased performance or complete failure of the diode, which can affect the overall functionality of the circuit.