Zener diode : Calculating the series resistance

The hint being there might be a reason why you don't have a 410Ω resistor in your box.)I can't read pdfs (small tablet).In summary, the problem involves calculating the series resistance R for a voltage regulator with a 6.8V Zener diode, input voltage range of 15-20V, and load current range of 5mA-20mA. By applying KVL and assuming an ideal Zener diode, the formula R = (V-Vz)/Iz can be used to solve for the series resistance. However, the given values do not specify the minimum current for the Zener diode, which can affect the calculation. After attempting the calculation with different assumptions, the
n.easwaranand

Homework Statement

: [/B]
Given a voltage regulator with 6.8V Zener diode, input voltage range of 15-20V and load current range 5mA-20mA. Calculate the series resistance R for the regulator.

Homework Equations

Applying KVL and no load situation, we get R = (V - Vz)/Iz where V is the input voltage,Vz is the zener voltage and Iz is the maximum current determined by the power dissipation.

The Attempt at a Solution

At first glance , the question seems to be simple. However, looking at the given values, the problem seems to be more trickier. Maximum and minimum currents for Zener diode is not given in the problem. Let us solve by assuming the Zener diode as ideal where minimum current is zero.
Izmax = (Vmax - Vz)/R - ILmin
Izmin = (Vmin-Vz)/R - ILmax
where Vmax = 20V, Vmin = 15V, ILmax = 20mA, ILmin=5mA and Vz = 6.8V
These are the only equations which I can think of to solve this problem. Assuming Izmin = 0, I get R=410ohms which is not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Izmin = (Vmax-Vz)/R - ILmax
This formula doesn't look quite right. Can you explain what it is saying?

What does your textbook give as their answer?

http://www.imageshack.com/a/img109/4666/holly1756.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
:welcome:This formula doesn't look quite right. Can you explain what it is saying?

What does your textbook give as their answer?

Attachments

• Attempt to the solution.pdf
    156.9 KB · Views: 278
I also got 410R. Do you have one in your box of assorted resistors :-)

I can't read pdfs (small tablet).

410Ω looks okay, it's the upper bound.

CWatters said:
Do you have one in your box of assorted resistors :-)

In case it wasn't obvious this was a hint for why the answer might be 390 rather than 410.

1. How do I calculate the series resistance for a Zener diode?

The series resistance for a Zener diode can be calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage divided by the current. In this case, the voltage is the difference between the input voltage and the Zener diode's breakdown voltage, and the current is the Zener diode's operating current.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the series resistance for a Zener diode?

The series resistance for a Zener diode is important because it helps to limit the current flowing through the diode and prevent it from burning out. It also helps to stabilize the output voltage by compensating for any fluctuations in the input voltage.

3. How do I determine the breakdown voltage of a Zener diode?

The breakdown voltage of a Zener diode can be found in the diode's datasheet. It is typically listed as either the Zener voltage or the reverse voltage. If it is not listed, it can be measured using a multimeter in diode test mode.

4. What factors can affect the series resistance for a Zener diode?

The main factor that affects the series resistance for a Zener diode is the operating current. Higher currents will require a lower series resistance to maintain a stable output voltage. Other factors such as temperature and the type of diode can also influence the series resistance.

5. Can I use a variable resistor as the series resistance for a Zener diode?

Yes, a variable resistor can be used as the series resistance for a Zener diode. This allows you to adjust the amount of current flowing through the diode and therefore the output voltage. However, it is important to choose a resistor with a high enough power rating to handle the current flowing through it.