How Is Power Calculated in a Rotating System with Variable Speed?

In summary, the conversation focused on determining the power exerted by a rotating disc with a moment of inertia of 1248.68. The solution involved calculating the average power using the change in energy over a given time interval and converting the rotation rate to radians per second. The resulting average power was approximately 4.4 kW, or 4400 units in the chosen system.
Pinon1977
TL;DR Summary
Trying to determine how much power is created by a system that is rotating
So I have a system in which there is a disc with a moment of inertia of 1248.68. this system can rotate this disc from zero RPMs to 36 RPMs and approximately 2 seconds. How would I go about determining how much power is exerted to do said work? Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Pinon1977 said:
TL;DR Summary: Trying to determine how much power is created by a system that is rotating

So I have a system in which there is a disc with a moment of inertia of 1248.68.
1248.68 whats?

(units?)

Likes erobz
It depends. Are there resistive forces? Is the angular acceleration approximately constant or a function of time or other parameter?

Pinon1977 said:
How would I go about determining how much power is exerted to do said work?
Given the great specificity of the question, I'd say the specific answer is "some".

• Haha
Likes Juanda, jrmichler and berkeman
Assuming your moment of inertia is in SI units you would need at least an average power of 4.4 kW to spin up the disc. But otherwise, yeah, what the other guys said!

Filip Larsen said:
Assuming your moment of inertia is in SI units you would need at least an average power of 4.4 kW to spin up the disc. But otherwise, yeah, what the other guys said!
Let us go through the calculation. @russ_watters has already addressed the case of constant torque. Let us make no such assumption and compute average power.

[I will not assume SI units, but instead simply assume a coherent system of units. But since we are given inputs involving minutes and seconds we will require our system of units to use one or the other]

Average power is computed simply. It is the change in energy divided by the length of the interval:$$P = \frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t}$$[In a coherent system of units, the unit of power will be chosen to match the unit of energy divided by the unit of time, so that no unit conversion constant appears in the formula above]

So we just have to figure out how much energy there is in an object with the given moment of inertia that is rotating at the given rate.

The rotational kinetic energy in an object with moment of inertia ##I## and rotation rate ##\omega## is given by $$E = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2$$[In a coherent system of units, the unit of rotation rate will be a radian per time unit. The units for energy and for moment of inertia will work out so that no additional unit conversion constant appears in the above equation]

We need to convert 36 RPM to radians per second. We can proceed with the "multiply by one" method:$$36\text{ RPM} \times \frac{2\pi \text{ radians}}{1 \text{ rotation}} \times \frac{1 \text{ minute}}{60 \text{ seconds}} = 3.77 \frac{\text{radians}}{\text{second}}$$[For the next step, we will need to assume that our system of units uses the second as its unit of time and, hence, radians per second as its unit of rotation rate]

We can now use the formula above (##E = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2)## and plug in the moment of inertia of 1248.68 and the rotation rate of 3.77 radians per second to get:$$E = \frac{1}{2}(1248.68)(3.77)^2 = 8873$$[Of course, this result is in our system's chosen units of energy]

We are told that the acceleration takes place over the course of an elapsed time of 2 seconds. So:$$P = \frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t} = \frac{8873}{2} \approx 4400$$[If our system of units turns out to be SI then this is 4.4 kW, just as @Filip Larsen had calculated]

Last edited:
Likes Pinon1977, russ_watters, Lnewqban and 2 others
jbriggs444 said:
Let us go through the calculation. @russ_watters has already addressed the case of constant torque. Let us make no such assumption and compute average power.

[I will not assume SI units, but instead simply assume a coherent system of units. But since we are given inputs involving minutes and seconds we will require our system of units to use one or the other]

Average power is computed simply. It is the change in energy divided by the length of the interval:$$P = \frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t}$$[In a coherent system of units, the unit of power will be chosen to match the unit of energy divided by the unit of time, so that no unit conversion constant appears in the formula above]

So we just have to figure out how much energy there is in an object with the given moment of inertia that is rotating at the given rate.

The rotational kinetic energy in an object with moment of inertia ##I## and rotation rate ##\omega## is given by $$E = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2$$[In a coherent system of units, the unit of rotation rate will be a radian per time unit. The units for energy and for moment of inertia will work out so that no additional unit conversion constant appears in the above equation]

We need to convert 36 RPM to radians per second. We can proceed with the "multiply by one" method:$$36\text{ RPM} \times \frac{2\pi \text{ radians}}{1 \text{ rotation}} \times \frac{1 \text{ minute}}{60 \text{ seconds}} = 3.77 \frac{\text{radians}}{\text{second}}$$[For the next step, we will need to assume that our system of units uses the second as its unit of time and, hence, radians per second as its unit of rotation rate]

We can now use the formula above (##E = \frac{1}{2}I\omega^2)## and plug in the moment of inertia of 1248.68 and the rotation rate of 3.77 radians per second to get:$$E = \frac{1}{2}(1248.68)(3.77)^2 = 8873$$[Of course, this result is in our system's chosen units of energy]

We are told that the acceleration takes place over the course of an elapsed time of 2 seconds. So:$$P = \frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t} = \frac{8873}{2} \approx 4400$$[If our system of units turns out to be SI then this is 4.4 kW, just as @Filip Larsen had calculated]
Now that's what I call a GREAT answer and explanation. No sarcasm, no bull, just facts and figures. Thank you sir for this explanation.....it was rewarding and refreshing! And, most importantly, I learned something from it. Principal lesson learned is to get my units consistent. Haha.

Likes jbriggs444

1. What is power from a rotating system?

Power from a rotating system refers to the amount of energy that can be generated or transferred by a rotating object. This can include systems such as turbines, engines, or windmills.

2. How is power calculated from a rotating system?

The power from a rotating system can be calculated by multiplying the torque (a measure of rotational force) by the angular velocity (a measure of rotational speed). This can be represented by the equation P = τω, where P is power, τ is torque, and ω is angular velocity.

3. What factors affect the power output of a rotating system?

The power output of a rotating system can be affected by various factors, including the size and shape of the rotating object, the speed at which it is rotating, and the efficiency of the system. Additionally, external factors such as wind or friction can also impact the power output.

4. How can power from a rotating system be harnessed?

Power from a rotating system can be harnessed through the use of generators, which convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is commonly seen in wind turbines and hydroelectric dams, where the rotation of blades or turbines is used to produce electricity.

5. What are some real-world applications of power from a rotating system?

Power from a rotating system has numerous real-world applications, including generating electricity for homes and businesses, powering vehicles such as cars and planes, and providing energy for industrial processes. It is also used in various renewable energy sources, such as wind and hydro power.