Power rule for antiderivatives

In summary, the conversation is about finding the antiderivative of a given equation. The person asking the question is unsure if they are using the correct method and the person providing the answer confirms that they are using the power rule for antiderivatives. The final simplified equation is -x^5/12 + (5x^4)/6 - (103x^3)/36 + (23x^2)/6.
porschedriver192
I am taking an Architectural Geometry class, and have only had Precal. We just started antiderivatives (I understand regular derivatives), and had a question:

I have to find the antiderivative of

(-5/12 x^4) + (10/3 x^3) - (103/12 x^2) + (23/3 x)

I think I use the power rule for antiderivates...so far i have the first function to be

(-5/12 x^5)/(5)

is that right? if so, does it simplify to -.083x^5? This is where i get confused. Later on I will need to plug in a variable for x. I just wanted to make sure that I am doing this right so far. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes that is right but if you simpifly it it is just -x^5/12

Ok, thanks for the reply. If that's the case, does that make the rest of the equation:

(-x^5) / 12 + (5x^4)/6 - [(103x^3)/12) / 3] + [(23x^2)/3) /2 ]

Thanks again.

Yes, but you can simplify. I'll take one of your terms.

What's [tex]\frac{103}{12}*\frac{x^3}{3}[/tex]?

it would be 103x^3 / 36 . Or do you want it simplified more?

1. What is the power rule for antiderivatives?

The power rule for antiderivatives is a rule used in calculus to find the antiderivative of a function. It states that if a function f(x) can be written in the form f(x) = x^n, where n is any real number except for -1, then the antiderivative of f(x) is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How is the power rule for antiderivatives used?

The power rule for antiderivatives is used to find the antiderivative of a function, which is the reverse process of finding the derivative. It is often used in integration problems in calculus, where the goal is to find the original function given its derivative.

3. What is the difference between the power rule for derivatives and the power rule for antiderivatives?

The power rule for derivatives is used to find the derivative of a function, while the power rule for antiderivatives is used to find the antiderivative of a function. They are essentially inverse operations, with the power rule for derivatives finding the rate of change of a function, and the power rule for antiderivatives finding the original function given its rate of change.

4. Are there any exceptions to the power rule for antiderivatives?

Yes, there are two exceptions to the power rule for antiderivatives. The first is when n = -1, in which case the antiderivative is ln|x| + C. The second is when n = 0, in which case the antiderivative is x + C.

5. Can the power rule for antiderivatives be applied to functions with multiple terms?

Yes, the power rule for antiderivatives can be applied to functions with multiple terms by using the linearity property of antiderivatives. This means that the antiderivative of a sum of functions is equal to the sum of the antiderivatives of each individual function. However, the power rule can only be applied to each term separately, and the constant of integration must be added at the end.