Power Series Help: Find Interval of Convergence

In summary, the series from n=1 to infinity ((-3)^n * x^n) / (n*(n)^1/2) has an interval of convergence of [-1/3, 1/3] and a radius of convergence of 1/3. This was determined using the ratio test, which showed that the ratio of consecutive terms approaches 1 as n approaches infinity.
STJ

Homework Statement

Find interval of convergence and radius of convergence of the following infinite series.

Series from n=1 to infinity ((-3)^n * x^n) / (n*(n)^1/2)

Homework Equations

Ratio test

The Attempt at a Solution

I've started with the ratio test and end up getting 3xn^(3/2) / (n+1)^(3/2) after cancellation. I don't know how to cancel anything else out, I'm guessing L'Hopital's rule but that doesn't seem right. I feel like I should be able to do more cancellation here.

Physics news on Phys.org
STJ said:

Homework Statement

Find interval of convergence and radius of convergence of the following infinite series.

Series from n=1 to infinity ((-3)^n * x^n) / (n*(n)^1/2)

Homework Equations

Ratio test

The Attempt at a Solution

I've started with the ratio test and end up getting 3xn^(3/2) / (n+1)^(3/2) after cancellation. I don't know how to cancel anything else out, I'm guessing L'Hopital's rule but that doesn't seem right. I feel like I should be able to do more cancellation here.

Just use elementary algebra:
[tex] \frac{n^{3/2}}{(n+1)^{3/2}} = \left( \frac{n}{n+1}\right)^{3/2}[/tex]
What happens to this ratio when ##n \to \infty?##

Likes 1 person
What can you say about n/(n+1) as n →∞?

I swear I think to hard sometimes. Thanks.

And as n/(n+1) n →∞ = 1

R=1/3, Interval of convergence will be [-1/3, 1/3]

Are you sure it converges for x = -1/3?

Related to Power Series Help: Find Interval of Convergence

1. What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series that can be represented as a sum of terms, where each term is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a non-negative integer power.

2. How do you find the interval of convergence for a power series?

To find the interval of convergence for a power series, you must first determine the radius of convergence, which is the distance from the center of the series to the point at which the series converges. Then, you can use the ratio test or the root test to determine the exact interval of convergence.

3. What is the ratio test?

The ratio test is a mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It involves taking the limit of the ratio of the (n+1)th term to the nth term of a series. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges; if it is greater than 1, the series diverges; and if it is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

4. Can a power series converge at its endpoints?

In some cases, a power series can converge at one or both of its endpoints. This depends on the behavior of the series at the endpoints and can be determined by testing the convergence of the series at those points.

5. What is the significance of the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is important because it tells us the values of the variable for which the power series will converge. This allows us to use the power series to approximate functions within that interval, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.