Power Supply Failure? PC Won't Power On

In summary, the conversation is about a PC that stopped working and the speaker believes it may be due to a faulty power supply. They mention that when they press the power button, the power supply fan does not spin and the motherboard light remains on. The other person suggests that the power supply is most likely the issue and recommends purchasing a new one.
Mr Noblet
Hello,

My PC stopped working a little while ago, and I think the power supply went out, but I'm not sure. It will not power on at all, but the light on my motherboard is still lighting up. Is this most likely a problem wih the power supply?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'd have to say that it's the power supply, but it could (though no likely) be a problem with the switch.

When you hit the button does the power supply fan start spinning, or does it just sit still while the motherboard light remains on?

The power supply does nothing. The fan does not spin. So that means that it is the power supply?

Mr Noblet said:
The power supply does nothing. The fan does not spin. So that means that it is the power supply?

Yes something is definitely messed up with your PS. Buy a new one, they are cheap.

Related to Power Supply Failure? PC Won't Power On

1. What are the signs of a power supply failure?

The most common signs of a power supply failure include the computer not turning on at all, random crashes or freezes, and strange noises coming from the power supply unit. Other signs may include burning smells or sparks coming from the unit.

2. How can I determine if my power supply has failed?

The best way to determine if your power supply has failed is to test it with a voltmeter. If the voltage readings are significantly lower than what is expected, the power supply may be faulty. You can also try replacing the power supply with a known working one to see if it resolves the issue.

3. Can a power supply failure damage other components in my PC?

Yes, a power supply failure can damage other components in your PC. When a power supply fails, it can send a surge of electricity through the system, which can damage sensitive components such as the motherboard, CPU, and graphics card.

4. How can I prevent a power supply failure?

To prevent a power supply failure, it is important to use a high-quality power supply that is suitable for your computer's needs. It is also important to keep the power supply clean and free of dust, as dust buildup can cause overheating and increase the risk of failure. Additionally, using a surge protector can help protect your PC from power surges.

5. Is it possible to repair a failed power supply?

In most cases, it is not possible to repair a failed power supply. It is best to replace it with a new one. Attempting to repair a power supply can be dangerous and should only be done by a qualified professional.