Powering 10HP 460VAC 3Phase AC Motor: Transformer?

In summary, the speaker is asking if there is a transformer that can step up 120VAC to 460VAC to power a 10hp 460VAC 3-phase AC motor. They mention that a regular office building outlet cannot provide the necessary power and suggest using a variable frequency drive or finding a 460V source. They also suggest considering using a lower power motor if possible to make the solution easier.
smiddleton
Does anyone of a transformer that can step up 120vac to 460vac? Or do I need to use two transformers and step it up twice? It is powering a 10hp 460vac 3phase ac motor. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
smiddleton said:
Does anyone of a transformer that can step up 120vac to 460vac? Or do I need to use two transformers and step it up twice? It is powering a 10hp 460vac 3phase ac motor. Thanks.
First question, the 120V AC you plan to use...is that available in 3 phases?

NascentOxygen said:
First question, the 120V AC you plan to use...is that available in 3 phases?
Normal ac outlet in office building

smiddleton said:
Normal ac outlet in office building
I think that's "No three phase available" answer? So that's a serious setback to your planning.

Despite this, go ahead and work out how many watts equate to 10 hp, and compare this figure with the typical wattage rating in your country for ordinary office outlets.

...er, you can't power a 10 hp motor (8kW) from a 120V office outlet (2 kW).

Likes Alec Dacyczyn
I am also trying to figure out how the OP figures a regular office building 120 volt outlet will provide 3 phase.

Averagesupernova said:
I am also trying to figure out how the OP figures a regular office building 120 volt outlet will provide 3 phase.
True. I would need some big caps, it's about 10000 watts to power the motor how we want.

Caps will not help - we are taking about power ( 10Kw ~ 460 x 12.6A x Sqrt(3) for the 3 Ph motor - at 120 Single phase 10Kw ~ 120V x 83Amps) . If you have access to the Circuit panel you could wire a Variable Frequency Drive set up for single phase input with 3 phase output, but that still will not "step up" the voltage you need.

Preferably you can get 240VAC (most 120V systems in the USA are split phase 120/240) - so then use a 12+ KVA 240 to 460 single phase transformer. Then a Drive that can provide 10 HP with single phase input, I am sure it exists, but that it pretty large for the single phase and I have not found on in a quick search. Typically drive will have poor power factor and high harmonics ( THD) - requiring more hardware - filters etc...

Try to find a 460V Source.

Oh - also such a large single phase load may not be allowed by your utility and or local code.

10 HP is a lot of power for a machine in an office - are you sure you actually need that much ??

Is there a possibility of thinking afresh with a new lower assessment of power requirement ??

Dropping power requirement and selecting a motor suitable for purpose and which will run on available electric supply will make life a lot easier for you .

If using original 10HP motor is essential then only solution is to have a proper three phase supply with suitable power rating installed .

1. How do I calculate the required transformer size for powering a 10HP 460VAC 3Phase AC motor?

The required transformer size can be calculated by multiplying the motor's power in kilowatts (kW) by 1.73 (for three-phase power) and dividing the result by the incoming line voltage. For a 10HP motor, this would be (10 x 0.746 kW x 1.73) / 460V = 0.058 kVA or 58 VA.

2. What is the purpose of a transformer in this system?

The transformer is used to step down the high voltage of the power source (usually from the utility grid) to a lower voltage that is suitable for the motor. It also helps to convert AC power from one voltage level to another.

3. Do I need a special type of transformer for a 3-phase AC motor?

Yes, you will need a three-phase transformer specifically designed for three-phase power systems. These transformers have three sets of primary and secondary windings, unlike single-phase transformers which only have two sets.

4. Can I use a single-phase transformer for a 3-phase motor?

No, single-phase transformers are not suitable for powering a 3-phase motor. They only have two sets of windings and cannot handle the higher voltage and current requirements of a 3-phase system.

5. How do I select the correct transformer for my motor?

In addition to calculating the required size based on the motor's power and incoming voltage, you should also consider the motor's starting current and the transformer's efficiency. It's best to consult with a professional or refer to the manufacturer's specifications to ensure the correct transformer is selected for your specific motor and application.