Optimal Motor Power for DIY Cat Waste and Litter Device

In summary: You should also check the power supply to make sure it can supply the required current.In summary, a 30W power supply can power a DC motor to turn a globe with a barrel that is about a metre in diameter. A gearbox or rubber driving wheel may be necessary to increase the torque to a sufficient value.
SuperSneaky666
I am a beginner in Electronics and motors, and I want to build a DIY device that is like this

I am just wondering how powerful is that motor that turns the globe in the device, which would hold the cat waste and litter. I am looking to get a powerful enough motor from Amazon.ca but just not sure how powerful do I need to go. I think I am looking for AC motors as they are more powerful than DC.

Does anyone know?

Engineering news on Phys.org
:welcome:

The power supply is 30W so the motor must be smaller than that. I would suggest using a DC motor as they are much easier to control with digital electronics at this size.

You will need gearing to increase the torque to a sufficient value to turn the barrel of litter.

BoB

Ah ok, is it possible you could show me some example DC motors that would be powerful enough for this. And do you think it would be better to have just 1 motor on the side or 2 motors, 1 on each side? I was thinking of making a gear rack/track strip going around the barrel, and then attaching a gear to the motors to help turn.

Yes. Turning from the outside edge is a good idea. Depending on the weight you may be able to use a rubber driving wheel (think rock tumbler) then you won't have to make a large gear the correct size. You may be able to find a gearbox with attached rubber wheel ready made that will work for you. Using a large belt around the barrel like clothes dryers do might also be an option.

One motor simplifies the design. I would only look into multiple motors as a last resort.

First you need to calculate the rotation speed and acceleration you need. The only information we have now is that it can be done with less than 30W.

BoB

Likes jrmichler
rbelli1 said:
Turning from the outside edge is a good idea.
Especially because that would act as a safety clutch too.

Likes rbelli1
Rive said:
Especially because that would act as a safety clutch too.

You can then size the drive motor to be just powerful enough to make the friction drive slip. A more powerful motor would be wasted, a less powerful motor might not be enough.

1. How is the power of a motor measured?

The power of a motor is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp). This measurement indicates the rate at which the motor can do work.

2. What factors affect the power of a motor?

The power of a motor is influenced by several factors, including the voltage and current supplied to the motor, the type and size of the motor, and the efficiency of the motor's design.

3. Can the power of a motor be increased?

Yes, the power of a motor can be increased by increasing the voltage or current supplied to the motor, or by using a larger and more efficient motor.

4. What is the difference between torque and power in a motor?

Torque is the rotational force produced by a motor, while power is the rate at which work is done. In other words, torque is the force that causes rotation, and power is the measure of how quickly that force can do work.

5. How does the power of a motor affect its performance?

The power of a motor directly affects its performance, as a more powerful motor can produce greater torque and work more efficiently. However, other factors such as the motor's design and the load it is powering also play a role in its overall performance.