Powering an LED Array On and Off at 1kHz

In summary, the problem is that your frequency generator is connected across the base and emitter of the BJT, and isn't amplifying your signal. You also don't mention the duty cycle of the square wave (percentage of each period which is high), which will impact the amount of current drawn, assuming that you're able to supply the 12 V across the LED. I would look into using the BJT as a common emitter amplifier, and modifying your circuit such that the BJT sinks current, rather than trying to source it (at 12 V).
bluurple
So I have a question about a circuit I'm making for class. I'm using this PowerSupply is a power supply I'm using in the lab. The 1kHz square wave is 700mV pk to pk with a 350mV offset. LEDarray is a red LED light array (http://www.ledtronics.com/Products/ProductsDetails.aspx?WP=2003).

When I connect the light to the power supply directly, it draws 230mA at 12V. But when I connect the light as shown in the schematic with the intent to switch it on and off at 1kHz, not enough current is drawn to fully power the LED array (only a fourth of the light turns on, and not very bright). Only 10mA is drawn.

I'm not sure how to make the light draw 230mA while switching on and offat 1kHz. Is the issue with the power supply not being able to switch that fast at that amperage, the switch not being able to put 230mA through at that frequency, or something else entirely? Help please?

Thank you

Capture.png

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

The problem is that your frequency generator is connected across the base and emitter of the BJT, and isn't amplifying your signal. You also don't mention the duty cycle of the square wave (percentage of each period which is high), which will impact the amount of current drawn, assuming that you're able to supply the 12 V across the LED.

I would look into using the BJT as a common emitter amplifier, and modifying your circuit such that the BJT sinks current, rather than trying to source it (at 12 V).

Clarifying what MATLABdude said, connect the emitter directly to battery -. Connect your signal source between battery - and the base and connect the cathode of the LED to the collector and the anode to battery +.

Thanks for the replies! Not sure why I never tried this. :P

You will also need to add current limiting resistors like this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/LED%20driver%202.PNG

The transistor shown as NPN will need to be a high gain, power transistor, but not a Darlington, as there is not enough voltage drive for a Darlington.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you check the data sheet for the 2N2222, notice that the gain drops a lot for high current and also for a saturated transistor.

If this transistor had about 1 volt across it and it was supplying 230 mA, the current gain could be about 30. So, this means the base current would have to be about 7.6 mA.

In this case, the position of the LED doesn't matter since you have the signal source isolated from the power supply.

Some things you could try:

Increase the offset voltage. At present, only the very peak of the input signal is causing any LED current to flow.

Increase the power supply voltage to about 15 volts so that the voltage across the transistors is greater.
Gradually increase the square wave amplitude from zero while monitoring the LED current.

Put 4 2N2222's in parallel. This will give more gain because each transistor would not have to draw so much current.

skeptic2 said:
Clarifying what MATLABdude said, connect the emitter directly to battery -. Connect your signal source between battery - and the base and connect the cathode of the LED to the collector and the anode to battery +.

To be fair to bluurple, his original diagram is fine - but only as long as either his power supply or his oscillator is 'floating'. The elements in the circuit that includes battery, LED and transistor need not actually be in the order we'd normally expect as long as the transistor can be turned on and off by the oscillator.
In real life, of course, we would try to stick with just one 'ground' and to use the same power supply for everything so the suggested circuit would be better. But, in principle . . . . . ..

1. How do you power an LED array on and off at a frequency of 1kHz?

To power an LED array on and off at a frequency of 1kHz, you will need a microcontroller or a timer circuit. The microcontroller or timer circuit will control the switching of the LED array on and off at the desired frequency. You will also need a power source, such as a battery or power supply, to provide the required voltage to the LED array.

2. What is the purpose of powering an LED array on and off at 1kHz?

The purpose of powering an LED array on and off at 1kHz is to create a flashing effect. This can be used for various applications such as visual indicators, signaling devices, or decorative lighting. It can also help save power compared to keeping the LED array constantly on.

3. Can any type of LED array be powered on and off at 1kHz?

Yes, any type of LED array can be powered on and off at 1kHz as long as it is compatible with the voltage and current requirements of the power source. However, it is important to note that certain types of LEDs, such as high-power LEDs, may require additional components, such as resistors, to regulate the current and prevent damage.

4. How do you calculate the duty cycle for powering an LED array on and off at 1kHz?

The duty cycle is the ratio of the time the LED array is switched on to the total time period. To calculate the duty cycle for powering an LED array on and off at 1kHz, you can use the formula: Duty Cycle = (On Time / Total Time) x 100%. For example, if the LED array is switched on for 0.5 milliseconds and off for 0.5 milliseconds in a 1 millisecond time period, the duty cycle would be 50%.

5. Are there any safety considerations when powering an LED array on and off at 1kHz?

Yes, there are some safety considerations to keep in mind when powering an LED array on and off at 1kHz. It is important to use the correct voltage and current to avoid damaging the LEDs. Additionally, if using a high-power LED array, it is important to use proper heat dissipation methods to prevent overheating. It is also recommended to use a voltage regulator or current limiting resistor to prevent overloading the LED array. Always follow the manufacturer's guidelines and instructions for safe usage of the LED array.