Powering the Human Brain: How Long Can One Snickers Bar Last?

• Thread starter tennischick89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain Human
In summary, the human brain consumes 22 W of power under normal conditions and a Snickers bar with 280 cal can power the brain for a short period of time. To calculate the joules in one Snickers bar, conversion from cal to kcal is necessary and it can be done using the conversion factor of 4186 J. However, in order to get the correct answer, the conversion should be multiplied instead of divided.
tennischick89
1. The human brain consumes about 22 W of power under normal conditions, though more power may be required during exams. How long can one Snickers bar (280 cal per bar) power the normally functioning brain? [Note: The nutritional calorie, 1 cal, is equivalent to 1000 calories (1000 cal) as defined in physics. In addition, the conversion factor between calories and joules is as follows: 1 cal = 1000 calories = 1 kcal = 4186 J]

2. I know I need to use P=W/t

3. I converted cal. in the snickers bar to kcal and then did .280 kcal/4186 to get joules in one snickers. plugged that in for W but I'm not getting the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi tennischick89! welcome to pf! :wink:
tennischick89 said:
1 cal = 1000 calories = 1 kcal = 4186 J]

3. I converted cal. in the snickers bar to kcal and then did .280 kcal/4186 to get joules in one snickers. plugged that in for W but I'm not getting the right answer

you divided by 4186?

eat more snickers bars! :smile:

Ha oh my goodness...thanks!

What is the purpose of studying the effects of a Snickers bar on the human brain?

The purpose of studying the effects of a Snickers bar on the human brain is to understand how certain foods can provide energy and affect cognitive function. By studying the brain's response to a Snickers bar, we can gain insights into how our bodies process and utilize different types of food.

How long can a Snickers bar provide energy to the brain?

This can vary depending on an individual's metabolism and physical activity level. However, on average, a Snickers bar can provide energy to the brain for approximately 1-2 hours.

What role does glucose play in powering the brain?

Glucose is the primary source of energy for the brain. It is a simple sugar that is derived from the foods we eat and is essential for brain function, including memory, thinking, and decision-making.

Are there any potential negative effects of consuming a Snickers bar on brain function?

Excessive consumption of a Snickers bar, or any sugary food, can cause a spike in blood sugar levels, leading to a temporary increase in energy followed by a crash. This can result in decreased focus and concentration, as well as fatigue.

How does the brain process and utilize the nutrients in a Snickers bar?

The brain breaks down the carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in a Snickers bar through a process called metabolism. The nutrients are then converted into glucose and other molecules that the brain can use for energy and other functions.