Practicing Cartesian Products: B x (C x A)

• Thread starter nicnicman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cartesian
In summary, the conversation revolved around the correct way to perform Cartesian products. The question was whether B x (C x A) is equal to B x C x A, and it was determined that while they are often identified as equal, they are not strictly speaking equal. The correct way to perform the product was then clarified, and the conversation ended with confirmation that the second attempt at finding the product was correct.
nicnicman
Hi, everyone. I'm practicing Cartesian products and wanted to see if I was doing this correctly. Here's the problem

Let A = {x, y, z}, B = {a, b}, C = {1, 3},
Find B x (C x A) (the x denotes multiplication)

Now wouldn't B x (C x A) = B x C x A?

Then we would have:
B x (C x A) = B x C x A = {(a, 1, x), (a, 1, y), (a, 1, z), (a, 2, x), (a, 2, y), (a, 2, z),
(b, 1, x), (b, 1, y), (b, 1, z), (b, 2, x), (b, 2, y), (b, 2, z)}

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
nicnicman said:
Hi, everyone. I'm practicing Cartesian products and wanted to see if I was doing this correctly. Here's the problem

Let A = {x, y, z}, B = {a, b}, C = {1, 3},
Find B x (C x A) (the x denotes multiplication)

Now wouldn't B x (C x A) = B x C x A?

No, those two aren't equal. We often do identify them, but strictly spoken, they are not equal.

Yeah, you're right. After a little more looking I found that I was wrong.

Anyway, here is a second crack at it:

B x (C x A) =
{(a, (1, x)), (a, (1, y)), (a, (1, z)), (a, (3, x)), (a, (3, y)), (a, (3, z))
(b, (1, x)), (b, (1, y)), (b, (1, z)), (b, (3, x)), (b, (3, y)), (b, (3, z))}

How's this?

Thanks!

Related to Practicing Cartesian Products: B x (C x A)

1. What is a Cartesian product?

A Cartesian product is a mathematical operation that combines two sets to create a new set whose elements are all possible ordered pairs made up of one element from each of the original sets.

2. How is a Cartesian product represented?

A Cartesian product is typically represented using the symbol "x" between the two sets, with the resulting set enclosed in parentheses. For example, A x B would represent the Cartesian product of sets A and B.

3. What is the purpose of practicing Cartesian products?

Practicing Cartesian products allows for the exploration of all possible combinations between two or more sets. This is useful in mathematics, computer science, and other fields for solving problems and analyzing data.

4. How does the order of the sets affect the Cartesian product?

The order of the sets does not affect the resulting Cartesian product. The same set of ordered pairs will be generated regardless of which set is listed first.

5. Can the Cartesian product be performed on sets of different sizes?

Yes, the Cartesian product can be performed on sets of different sizes. The resulting set will have a size equal to the product of the sizes of the original sets. For example, if set A has 3 elements and set B has 4 elements, the Cartesian product A x B will have 12 elements.