Precipitation of colloidal solutions

In summary, colloidal solutions contain molecules with slightly charged surfaces that are held afloat by electrostatic repulsion. Emulsoids, a type of colloidal solution, are difficult to precipitate due to this repulsion. However, when small ions such as those from NaCl are added, they are attracted to the colloidal molecules and neutralize their charges, allowing them to combine into larger aggregates. This process is known as neutralization and makes aggregation easier.
Asmaa Mohammad
Hello,
I read about the colloidal solutions in my chemistry book, and came across this sentence:

"Emulsoids (a type of colloidal solutions) are difficult to be precipitated, e.g. by concentrated solution of NaCl (removes H2O film by its osmotic power then it neutralize the charges)."

I don't understand the sentence and the book doesn't give a further explanation.

So I would appreciate if some one would explain it for me, and especially the "neutralize the charges" part.

Thanks in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Colloidal molecules have slightly charged surface, and the electrostatic repulsion keeps them afloat (you can't precipitate them if they won't combine into larger aggregates). No idea why they call for osmotic pressure, but imagine adding small ions to the solution (like those from the NaCl dissociation). What will they do?

Borek said:
but imagine adding small ions to the solution (like those from the NaCl dissociation). What will they do?
Hmm .. the small charged ions would be attracted to the colloidal molecules. And they will try to attach colloidal molecules to each other forming an aggregate, right?

Borek said:
No idea why they call for osmotic pressure
I have no idea too.

perhaps it is something related to the fact that water particles form a thin film surrounding the solute particles. But I can't go any further.

Asmaa Mohammad said:
Hmm .. the small charged ions would be attracted to the colloidal molecules. And they will try to attach colloidal molecules to each other forming an aggregate, right?

Yes, once the repelling charges are neutralized aggregation becomes much easier.

Borek said:
Yes, once the repelling charges are neutralized aggregation becomes much easier.
Then If I want to define "neutralization" in this case, How would it be?

Proton has a positive charge, electron has a negative charge, hydrogen atom is neutral.

1. What is precipitation of colloidal solutions?

Precipitation of colloidal solutions is a process in which small particles of a dispersed phase in a colloid solution come together and form larger particles that settle out of the solution.

2. How does precipitation occur in colloidal solutions?

Precipitation occurs due to the destabilization of the dispersed phase particles, usually caused by changes in the solution's temperature, pH, or addition of a precipitating agent. This leads to the particles coming together and forming larger aggregates that eventually settle out of the solution.

3. What factors affect the precipitation of colloidal solutions?

The precipitation of colloidal solutions can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of the dispersed phase, the size and charge of the particles, the presence of electrolytes, and the temperature and pH of the solution.

4. How is precipitation of colloidal solutions different from coagulation?

Precipitation and coagulation are both processes that involve the aggregation of particles in a colloid solution. However, precipitation refers specifically to the formation of larger particles that settle out of the solution, while coagulation can refer to the formation of larger particles that remain suspended in the solution.

5. What are some applications of precipitation in colloidal solutions?

Precipitation of colloidal solutions is used in various industries, such as wastewater treatment, pharmaceuticals, and food and beverage production. It can also be used in research and laboratory settings to isolate and purify specific particles from a solution.