Imagine that you are conducting an activity with a laser....

In summary, the formula provided shows that the distance between fringes (X) is directly proportional to the distance from the slits to the screen (L) and inversely proportional to the distance between the two sources or slits (d). Therefore, to have closer fringes, one can either decrease the distance from the slits to the screen (L) or increase the distance between the two sources (d). Additionally, decreasing the wavelength (λ) can also result in closer fringes as it is directly proportional to X.
AlexisFair

Homework Statement

Imagine that you are conducting an activity with laser to create an interference pattern. Use the appropriate equations to predict two ways to change the interference pattern in order to have closer fringes. Explain your predictions.

Change in X = L(Lambda) / d

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Prediction One

The formula provided, shows that the distance between the fringes ( X) is proportional to the distance from the slits to the screen (L). Meaning, increasing one will increase the other. As a result, decreasing the distance from the slits to the screen (L) will decrease the distance between the fringes.

Prediction Two

The formula provided, shows that the distance between the fringes (X ) is inversely proportional to the distance between the two sources (d). Meaning, increasing one will decrease the other. As a result, Increasing the distance between the two sources , or slits (d) will decrease the distance between the fringes.

It says I need two predictions, but I think I found a third possibility, which is "Decreasing Lambda since it's proportional to X, just like L."

Because of this "Third possibility" I'm doubting my answers that I provided. I was wondering if this forum could look over my results to see if I missed something or if my answer is incorrect.I'm new to the forum and I hope this forum will help and guide me through grade 12 physics. Thank you .

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Alexis, :welcome:

Good reasoning. Since there are three factors that play a role, you can expect three ways to influence the result, so no worries needed.

One small opportunity for improvement: the sentence
AlexisFair said:
Change in X = L(Lambda) / d
can easily be misunderstood. It might be safer to say something like "If ##\Delta X## is the distance between fringes, then ##\Delta X \propto \lambda L/d##.

I think the exercise composer asks for two because varying the distance Ln to the screen is rather trivial ...

BvU said:
Hello Alexis, :welcome:

Good reasoning. Since there are three factors that play a role, you can expect three ways to influence the result, so no worries needed.

One small opportunity for improvement: the sentence
can easily be misunderstood. It might be safer to say something like "If ##\Delta X## is the distance between fringes, then ##\Delta X \propto \lambda L/d##.

I think the exercise composer asks for two because varying the distance Ln to the screen is rather trivial ...

Yeah, my sentences are quite repetitive but I did not want to fix it up, yet, as I wanted to ensure my answer was correct. So just to make sure, should I change anything? (Other than improving the sentence structure.) Or should I add in that third possibility?

What is a laser?

A laser is a device that emits a focused beam of light through the process of stimulated emission. It stands for "Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation."

How does a laser work?

A laser works by using a process called stimulated emission, where photons of light are emitted from a material in a specific direction, creating a focused and powerful beam of light.

What are some common uses for lasers?

Lasers have a wide range of uses, including in medical procedures, scientific research, industrial cutting and welding, communication and data storage, and even entertainment (such as laser light shows).

What safety precautions should be taken when using a laser?

When using a laser, it is important to wear appropriate eye protection and avoid pointing the laser at anyone. It is also important to follow proper handling and storage procedures to prevent accidents.

How do scientists use lasers in their research?

Scientists use lasers in various ways, such as in spectroscopy to study the properties of materials, in microscopy to image small structures, and in experiments to manipulate and control particles at the atomic level.