Predicting charge of organic compound at certain pH

In summary, pKa and pKb are helpful in predicting the charges of compounds, particularly organic ones, at a specific pH. These values are primarily used for acid/base reactions and are usually sufficient for making predictions. There are no known counterexamples at this time.
Baho Ilok
Which property of compounds, organic ones in particular, can help us predict their charge(s) at a specific pH? Is pKa/pKb the only one? I would like some confirmation on this. Thank you very much!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
pKa and pKb help predict charges related to the acid/base (mostly protonoation) reactions. As these dominate, pKa/pKb is usually enough.

Actually I can't think of a counterexample ATM. Which probably means I will feel ashamed later today.

Borek said:
pKa and pKb help predict charges related to the acid/base (mostly protonoation) reactions. As these dominate, pKa/pKb is usually enough.

Actually I can't think of a counterexample ATM. Which probably means I will feel ashamed later today.
This information is enough. Thank you very much!

1. What is the significance of predicting the charge of an organic compound at a certain pH?

Predicting the charge of an organic compound at a certain pH is crucial in understanding its behavior and interactions with other molecules. This information can help determine the compound's solubility, reactivity, and potential biological activity.

2. How is the charge of an organic compound affected by pH?

The charge of an organic compound is determined by the presence of ionizable functional groups, such as amino or carboxyl groups. These functional groups can either gain or lose protons depending on the pH of the solution, resulting in a change in the overall charge of the compound.

3. What methods are used to predict the charge of an organic compound at a certain pH?

There are various methods used to predict the charge of an organic compound at a certain pH, including pKa values, Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, and computer simulations. These methods take into account the structural and chemical properties of the compound to determine its charge at a specific pH.

4. Can the charge of an organic compound be predicted accurately?

While predicting the charge of an organic compound at a certain pH can be challenging, it is possible to do so with a reasonable degree of accuracy. However, it is important to note that there may be a margin of error due to the complexity of the compound and the limitations of the prediction methods.

5. How can the predicted charge of an organic compound at a certain pH be validated?

The predicted charge of an organic compound at a certain pH can be validated through experimental techniques, such as titration or electrophoresis. These experiments can confirm the presence and charge of functional groups in the compound, providing evidence for the accuracy of the prediction.