Predicting precipitates in a solution

In summary, the author is asking how to predict which species will precipitate in a solution that is supersaturated with several species of ions. The author suggests that reactivity of the ionic species may dictate which will precipitate, but this is only true for single displacement reactions. If it is a more complex system, then reactivity may not be a reliable predictor. The author also suggests that equilibrium products may be more reliable predictors.
Baho Ilok
Let's say we have a solution supersaturated with several species of ions, and there are a few potential precipitates predicted to be formed that all have one contain one species in common (therefore they are competing for that common ionic species). How can we predict which species will precipitate, assuming that the common species is not in excess?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Electronegativity difference perhaps? Sakto ba? Pagtawas oi.?:)

This is a topic on chemical kinetics. Rate of reaction.

Riverbirdy said:
Electronegativity difference perhaps? Sakto ba? Pagtawas oi.?:)

This is a topic on chemical kinetics. Rate of reaction.
I can't afford it :cry:

Well I was thinking maybe this may be more related to the thermodynamic properties of the predicted precipitates or their formation. Although electronegativity might play a role, I worry that an analysis through that framework might get too complicated since it is in the atomic scale.

As for a reaction kinetics approach, I worry it might not provide us information on which precipitate is favored to form.

Baho Ilok said:
As for a reaction kinetics approach, I worry it might not provide us information on which precipitate is favored to form.

May be isolating one over the other specie (1 to 1) might help you somehow to analyse the problem at a fixed temperature. Does temperature change during the mixing of constituents?

I don't know, if its an experiment your doing, you have no worries at all. As nature dictates what's going to happen. If you are may be verifying or proving a theory in reality, I think it needs a lot to think. Observation wins over set of theories.

Thermodynamics would tell you what to expect in a long term, kinetics will predict short term outcome - and they don't have to be identical.

These things are best checked experimentally.

Riverbirdy said:
May be isolating one over the other specie (1 to 1) might help you somehow to analyse the problem at a fixed temperature. Does temperature change during the mixing of constituents?

I don't know, if its an experiment your doing, you have no worries at all. As nature dictates what's going to happen. If you are may be verifying or proving a theory in reality, I think it needs a lot to think. Observation wins over set of theories.
It's all theoretical.

Borek said:
Thermodynamics would tell you what to expect in a long term, kinetics will predict short term outcome - and they don't have to be identical.

These things are best checked experimentally.
This is a mere theoretical analysis, actually.

Basically, the idea is that if I had a solution supersaturated with ions A, B, X, and a variety of other ions; both AX and BX are known to be stable salts, but X is not available in excess, which of the two would be favored to precipitate after the solution reaches equilibrium (long term)? I initially thought that reactivity of the ionic species would dictate which would precipitate, but I read that it only works for single displacement reactions. And for this case, I believe it is a more complex system (or is it?).

I would appreciate if somebody could assist me with this analysis. Thank you!

Baho Ilok said:
This is a mere theoretical analysis, actually.

Basically, the idea is that if I had a solution supersaturated with ions A, B, X, and a variety of other ions; both AX and BX are known to be stable salts, but X is not available in excess, which of the two would be favored to precipitate after the solution reaches equilibrium (long term)? I initially thought that reactivity of the ionic species would dictate which would precipitate, but I read that it only works for single displacement reactions. And for this case, I believe it is a more complex system (or is it?).

I would appreciate if somebody could assist me with this analysis. Thank you!
It would somehow end up to proximity of molecules and foremost opposite ions. Just a mere guess.

Riverbirdy said:
It's would somehow end up to proximity of molecules and foremost opposite ions. Just a mere guess.
I believe that would only apply to predicting "short-term" (or instantaneous, even!) products. I am concerned with the equilibrium products (long term), which I assume that all species were allowed to "meet with each other" and eventually "find their best partner," so to speak.

Nonetheless, I thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Baho Ilok said:
I believe that would only apply to predicting "short-term" (or instantaneous, even!) products. I am concerned with the equilibrium products (long term), which I assume that all species were allowed to "meet with each other" and eventually "find their best partner," so to speak.

Nonetheless, I thank you for your input. I appreciate it.
If it has to be long term, then it's a factor of gravity, heavy molecules settles lighter ones float.:cry: mao ba kabs?

Riverbirdy said:
If it has to be long term, then it's a factor of gravity, heavy molecules settles lighter ones float.:cry: mao ba kabs?
Na hala, sige kabs puwede na ni. Pasar na lagi ka :wink:

Likes Riverbirdy
Baho Ilok said:
Na hala, sige kabs puwede na ni. Pasar na lagi ka :wink:
So nice to find you here:smile:.-msu-iit

Baho Ilok said:
which of the two would be favored to precipitate after the solution reaches equilibrium (long term)?

You are not asking about which one will precipitate, but about which one is the stable, final form, these are slightly different things.

For that comparing Ksp should be perfectly enough (as it stems from thermodynamics).

Borek said:
You are not asking about which one will precipitate, but about which one is the stable, final form, these are slightly different things.

For that comparing Ksp should be perfectly enough (as it stems from thermodynamics).
I see, thank you for the correction. I will take a look at the problem considering Ksp. This definitely makes sense. Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

Have a good day!

Riverbirdy said:
So nice to find you here:smile:.-msu-iit
:smile:

1. What is the purpose of predicting precipitates in a solution?

The purpose of predicting precipitates in a solution is to determine which ions will form insoluble compounds when mixed together. This is important in various fields of chemistry, such as environmental science, pharmaceuticals, and industrial processes, as it helps to understand the behavior of substances in a solution and predict potential reactions.

2. How do you predict precipitates in a solution?

To predict precipitates in a solution, you need to know the solubility rules of different ionic compounds. These rules outline which combinations of ions will form insoluble compounds. You can also use a solubility table to determine the solubility of specific compounds. By combining this information with the chemical equation of the reaction, you can predict which ions will form precipitates.

3. What factors can affect the formation of precipitates in a solution?

The formation of precipitates in a solution can be affected by various factors, such as temperature, pH, and the concentration of ions in the solution. For example, increasing the temperature can increase the solubility of certain compounds and prevent the formation of precipitates. Similarly, changing the pH of a solution can affect the solubility of different compounds.

4. Can precipitates in a solution be reversed?

In some cases, precipitates in a solution can be reversed by changing the conditions of the solution. For example, if a precipitate forms due to a change in pH, it can be dissolved by adjusting the pH back to its original level. Additionally, some precipitates can be dissolved by adding a complexing agent that binds to the ions and prevents them from forming insoluble compounds.

5. What are some common applications of predicting precipitates in a solution?

Predicting precipitates in a solution has many practical applications in various fields of chemistry. In environmental science, it can help to understand the behavior of pollutants in water and predict potential reactions that may impact the environment. In pharmaceuticals, it is important in drug development and formulation to ensure the stability and efficacy of medications. In industrial processes, predicting precipitates can aid in the production of high-quality products and prevent unwanted reactions that may affect the final product.