Prepare a 100mg/ml solution of glacial acetic acid in methanol

In summary, you would weigh out 100 mg of acetic acid into a volumetric flask and then dilute to 1 ml with methanol. You would then calculate the volume needed for the desired concentration of the final solution.
ChemiePham
How to prepare a 100mg/ml solution of glacial acetic acid in methanol? The density of glacial acetic acid is 1.05 g/cm^3.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Measure the acetic acid with a pipet and prepare the solution in a volumetric flask.

OK, so let me see if I understand you correctly.

Because my acetic acid is a liquid, I would weigh out (on a scale) 100 mg of acetic acid into a volumetric flask and then dilute to 1 ml with methanol. Is this correct?

And if I had to prepare 10 ml having a concentration of 100 mg/ml, I would just multiply whatever it was that I weighed out for the 1 ml solution by 10, right?

Now what happens if the desired concentration is just too small to weigh out...How would you calculate the volume needed arithmetically?

You would have too much trouble weighing the precise amount of acetic acid that you would want. Use VOLUME with a pipet. You have the density of your acetic acid, so just calculate how much volume you need for the amount of final solution that you want.

You may think in this way:
Find how much volume acetic acid needed for 1 ml.
Now, how much volume acetic acid do you need for your target ml. of final solution?
In other words, how much larger is your target solution than 1 ml? This is how many times more acetic acid material you need to pipet.

ChemiePham said:
Now what happens if the desired concentration is just too small to weigh out...How would you calculate the volume needed arithmetically?

The way you do this is to make up more than 1 mL at a time. Instead of weighing out 100 mg and diluting to 1 mL, why don't you try to weigh out ten times that amount and dilute it to 10 mL? Or 100 times that amount and dilute it to 100 mL?

And... don't do it volumetrically if you want an accurate solution. Density is given for one temperature (probably 25C) and you may be working at a different temp. Do you know how density changes with temperature for this compound? Not likely.

1. How do I calculate the amount of glacial acetic acid needed for a 100mg/ml solution?

To prepare a 100mg/ml solution of glacial acetic acid in methanol, you will need to use the following formula:

Mass of glacial acetic acid (g) = Volume of solution (ml) x Concentration (mg/ml)

For example, if you want to prepare 100ml of 100mg/ml solution, you will need to measure out 10g of glacial acetic acid (100ml x 100mg/ml = 10g).

2. Can I use any type of measuring instrument to prepare this solution?

It is important to use a precise measuring instrument, such as a balance or graduated cylinder, for accurate results. Using a measuring spoon or cup may not provide the necessary accuracy for a 100mg/ml solution.

3. How should I handle glacial acetic acid when preparing this solution?

Glacial acetic acid is a corrosive and toxic chemical, and proper precautions should be taken when handling it. Always wear gloves, safety goggles, and a lab coat when working with glacial acetic acid. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling fumes.

4. Can I use any type of methanol for this solution?

It is recommended to use high purity methanol for preparing a 100mg/ml solution of glacial acetic acid. Impurities in lower quality methanol may affect the accuracy and consistency of the solution.

5. What is the purpose of preparing a 100mg/ml solution of glacial acetic acid in methanol?

This solution is commonly used in laboratory experiments, such as protein precipitation and chromatography techniques. It is also used in industrial processes, such as manufacturing of dyes and pharmaceuticals.