Preparing for a Career in Heart Surgery: What Classes to Take in 9th Grade?

In summary, to become a successful heart surgeon, it is important to maintain a good grade point average, take advanced classes if possible, and have a broad education. Additionally, excelling in math and natural sciences is crucial. Developing strong writing and verbal communication skills is also important, regardless of your future career. Finally, exploring and developing your passions will help differentiate you from other pre-med students when applying to top colleges.
marigreg
i would like to be a heart surgeon but what classes should i take? I am in ninth grade and have a 96% average in all my classes but what would help me to get ahead in college?

Physics news on Phys.org
What helps you get ahead is maintaining a good grade point average, taking advanced classes (AP or IB) if you can handle them, and getting a broad education (literature, music, history, government, etc.). Do well in math and natural sciences, of course. You will naturally be picking up knowledge about health, medicine, and the body, given your career goal, but these other things will help differentiate you from the crowd of pre-pre-meds. Writing and verbal communication skills are very important, even if you end up in computers or engineering. Finally, explore and develop one or two things you are passionate about, whatever they might be (sports, chess, glee club, volunteer work). Top colleges will be looking at the whole package that is you!

Thanks for the great info!

1. What classes should I take in 9th grade to prepare for a career in heart surgery?

It is important to take a variety of science and math courses in 9th grade to prepare for a career in heart surgery. This may include biology, chemistry, anatomy, and algebra. Additionally, courses in English and communication skills can also be beneficial.

2. Are there any specific electives or extracurricular activities that can help me prepare for a career in heart surgery?

While science and math courses are crucial for a career in heart surgery, taking electives in related fields such as physiology or participating in extracurricular activities like volunteering at a hospital or shadowing a heart surgeon can also provide valuable experience and insight.

3. Is it necessary to take advanced or honors courses in high school to become a heart surgeon?

Taking advanced or honors courses can demonstrate your dedication and strong academic abilities, which are important qualities for a heart surgeon. However, it is not a requirement and taking standard level courses can still provide a strong foundation for pursuing a career in heart surgery.

4. Should I focus solely on science and math courses or should I also take courses in other subjects?

While science and math courses are essential for a career in heart surgery, it is important to have a well-rounded education. Taking courses in other subjects such as history, foreign language, and art can help develop critical thinking, communication, and cultural competency skills, which are all important for a heart surgeon.

5. Are there any resources or programs available for high school students interested in heart surgery?

Yes, there are many resources and programs available for high school students interested in pursuing a career in heart surgery. Some examples include summer programs at universities, mentorship programs, and online resources from professional organizations. It is important to do research and reach out to organizations and professionals for guidance and support.